Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

2 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

3960x on a gigabyte trx40 aorus extreme and with a 5700xt,and 2 1tb sebrant or any other pcie 4.0 nvme drive in raid

9900k or even 10980xe with similar setup but of course with 2080ti

all the usual tests but focus on Gaming!! lol....

??? Why??

When you compare things, you only change one thing out to see the differences. These are systems with vastly different workcases.

Plus the 2080 Ti is a lot better than the 5700XT in gaming, but also in most other workcases.

9900K is better in gaming than all, 3960X has good price to core amount and the 10980 XE is a much higher core count chip..

What would a comparison between these do good?

P.S. 'Feature suggestions'  is for suggestions to the forum. You were probably looking for this thread:

(which this will probably get merged into)

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

"Roses are dead - Violets too - Outside i'm smiling - Inside i'm dying"

15 minutes ago, Lucek said:

Who'd like to see Linus read old cringe computer stuff.

Things like Is my son a hacker from 2001?

Your thread has been merged to official video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

With wireless charging, it used to be significantly less efficient than a cable. That problem with efficiency has faded as wireless charging can be nearly as efficient as charging with a cable.

So question, how efficient is the reverse charging in new Samsung phones. As well, could we test it to see how efficiently you could transfer power from one phone to another.

If you used a 100% 4000mah Samsung S20 to charge another device with a 2000 or 3000mah. Would you be able to get 50% of the 2000mah device with only using 25% of the S20's battery? Or more like 40 or 50% of the S20's battery.

17 hours ago, xreaperx22 said:

all the usual tests but focus on Gaming!! lol....would love to see this,and i said 3960 instead of 3970 as it would be a more real world user experience cuz of the pricing more peeps would buy 3960 i think,i know im thinking of it myself....get to game with nice fps,than do some work right after on the same pc! no more having 2 or 3 pc's in my office how nice!!

your work better benefit from 24 cores, or else you're throwing away money for a system that never gets to flex on multithreaded workloads ._.

a 3960X can game like how a xeon or a 3990X can game, but keep in mind a sizeable fraction of games out there doesn't multithread as much. it's usually games that extensively utilise real time physics, or use multiple instances to calculate AI movements (at least a few of them does) that will benefit from that

if you want to find a game for that excuse, you'd better love slime rancher

78iP5zEl.png

On 3/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

this idea is stuck in my head water cooling Ram I understand that air cooling sometimes it is bitter than water but I'm interested in overclocking Ram yes I know that a ram doesn't produce heat that much I just wanna see the result I only found two water cooling

the first one is sketchy :

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ram+water+cooling&_sacat=0

second one :

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-VB1430BWS-Soprano-Mid-Tower-Chassis/dp/B00139B3S0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=water+cooling+ram&qid=1581673326&sr=8-2

is there is any difference  

edit: 2 years left for techquickie to become 10 years old

Edited by Lordofdarkness
forgot to add something

I think an interesting LTT video (or possibly a Scrapyard Wars series) would be to build a modern PC driven Jukebox.

Two key feature of the Jukebox...

• The key part would be elaborate (over-the-top) RGB affects that sync with the music.
  • The Jukebox would need speakers that can handle both a large party setting, or a smaller setting where the music is just background.

Other considerations...

• The PC itself would NOT need to be very powerful.
  • The PC could have local stash of .mp3 files, plus connect to several streaming music services.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Adventures in creating homemade Chromebook

You can use a software called cloudready to turn any PC into a Chromebook with chrome os. It runs great on old and slow hardware. I personally use it on a slow hp stream

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

On 2/10/2020 at 3:14 PM, 123e443 said:

TRY TO COOL A PC WITH (wait for it) .......................... PEE!

Other than the horrifying discomfort for everyone involved and the long term impact to the reliability of the loop, this would work almost identically to a water cooled PC....

That being said, outside of an April Fool's video, I don't think I actually want to see them do this.

Hi Linus, I've always been someone who tries to optimize ever situation possible. (My autistic side) One of my thoughts was a comparison between a white car and a black car. The difference in temperatures between the two are significant. Both inside and out! (The color of the paint and the interior color of the seats...)

Therefore I was wondering if having a pc build with mostly white components versus black would make a difference even the slightest in temperatures throughout the pc.

Can you make a video to compare 2 identical builds with different colors comparing temperatures?

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Hello Linus,

My name is Kyle and I’ve been a fan and subscriber of yours for about 3 years now, I love your content and everything you have done for the gaming and tech community, but a problem that seems to keep arising no matter what you try to do is, a custom water cooling loop will always need to be replaced eventually due to corrosion, even with proper maintenance. So today I have a video for you, back in the day you built a gaming pc in a fish tank of oil, my idea is oils don’t corrode metals like water, so if you built a pc with a custom oil loop and compared its temperatures with multiple oil types with a pump that is capable of pumping oils, potentially that could be a solve to a water cooling problem, I don’t see a downside. Do you.

I feel many pc builders and enthusiasts would be intrigued by something like this. Btw synthetic car engine oil is great for cooling and lubrications, and it’s better on rubber seals, but I would love to see 4-5 oils and their comparisons in performance.

Thanks again Linus, I really appreciate everything you and your team does for us.

2 hours ago, NeuroDiverse said:

Therefore I was wondering if having a pc build with mostly white components versus black would make a difference even the slightest in temperatures throughout the pc.

You don't put your PC in the sun now do you?

Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, GTX1070, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K / GPD Win 2

Installing alternative software on hardware and dual booting. Such as chromium , windows10x ;

, Linux  even android x86

Build Video Suggestion:

A build with some considerations I haven’t seen covered before.

Typical: Used for streaming, content creation, gaming, 4K where possible but gaming in 1080p could be ok. Air cooled not liquid since it is my first build.

Atypical: Dual boot windows/Linux, running multiple VMs, enough threads and ram to push everything. 

6 hours ago, Alienware 15 R2 said:

How about Overclocking to a frequency no Gamer or Company has ever imagined?

Linus Please do this.

so extreme overclocks on ln2 do this, and they know a lot more then any tech reviewers unless you count buildzoid or d8auer as reviewers. they would if they could but there guys always push it to the edge of possible. 

Since you guys are a tech channel, and you have already done so many gaming setups and all, why not try and do a Music Producer, setup. Go over the best type of PC components for those who are getting started into producing (How much RAM and CPU but not overkill) and then go into some audio interfaces, microphones, speaker/monitors (not like display monitors, like monitors for playing back music) MIDI keyboards or something of that sort. Altogether that might make a pretty good video and appeal to a larger audience.

I was watching Jays two cents and he had rig with a screen on the side to graphically  display specs from the GPU CPU memory etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HaFdpcB3oI&t=6s how do you do that?

Do a "Linus switches to Linux" series. 

i actually think it's doable. Linux has clients for MS Teams and all that stuff now i believe, and you can run a VM for MS Office. 

i'd be happy to write guides about setup of things such as VFIO if you want to game on a VM for a video or something like that. 

They/Them :) 

Nokia 7.2 | 128GB | Android

Laptop: Asus ZenBook Pro | Core i5 7200U | HD620 - GTX 950M | 8GB RAM | 250GB + 128GB SSD | Windows 10

13 hours ago, Elo Gaming said:

Music Producer

or a video editor setup, most people are vloggers and youtubers and streamers.

What about a video about an Arduino and how to program them or how you can use them and what they are used for. I’d use the Arduino UNO by Elegoo. 

I think that that would be pretty cool to see. 

Things I do:

Upgrade Computers

Build Computers

Disassemble Computers

My System:

MSI GS65 Stealth

CPU - Intel Core i7-8750H

Memory - 16GB DDR4

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Storage - 512 GB SSD

Operating System - Windows 10 Home

Headset - Turtle Beach Stealth 420X+

You should do an LG WEBOS 2.0 update video for the original ncix WEBOS video.

I saw the 2019 tv lineup, and ended up buying the LG, but i kinda find the o.s. a bit different than what i came from "roku" and is not as easy to setup, things like screen mirroring and stuff just dont work, and i have had a few people say to stay away because of the o.s. and a video on it would probably help alot of people, color and setting optimizations etc.