Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

Right so you know how Luke a while back tried the Pizza PC? Well what about cooking a steak with your PC?

Basically I was looking at trying to put together a 12v sous vide setup in a campervan so food could cook whilst we drive, and stumbled on to the idea of if I could use watercooling parts for circulating the water, then I remembered Intel's new 12v only standard and started wondering... could I use a cpu to heat a large enough body of water suitable for sous vide cooking? Sous vide doesn't actually need to boil water, you'll normally cook a steak for example with sous vide at around 60deg, and all you need to do is maintain that temp once you've hit it, in theory with a bit of patience, and some insulated pipes and water bath to prevent excessive temperature loss, it might be possible! The tricky bit potentially would be finding a bit of software that could read the cpu the temps and dynamically increase or decrease load on the cpu on the fly to maintain a steady temperature.

I know Linus was talking about building a PC that ran straight off the cars 12v supply, so in actual fact this would lead in beautifully as well as not only could you have the PC in the car, but it could cook your dinner too!

On 10/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, Schnoz said:

Sketchy coolers proposal: A standard AIO cooler or watercooling loop but filled with Galinstan (eutectic, nontoxic liquid metal, basically Conductonaut) instead of water. I believe that would be interesting.

Give its viscosity and surface tension, as reported on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan), one would expect it to actually move very little, beyond a short distance from the pump...

43 minutes ago, sparkitect said:

Give its viscosity and surface tension, as reported on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galinstan), one would expect it to actually move very little, beyond a short distance from the pump...

I agree--I've applied liquid metal before and it's very frustrating. However, I think it would make a great video if they find a way to overcome viscosity issues (maybe designing their own, larger centrifugal pump?).

The Schnoz

1 hour ago, botond08 said:

Interesting.....
https://www.xda-developers.com/pro1-x/
XDA made a phone!

It's a rebranded device, big oof XDA...

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz (-75mV Core // -5mV Cache) RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition (-5mV // +80mhz core // +120mhz memory)  PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 Bit // Manjaro

I was taking apart an old 2009 macbook yesterday (mostly because I can't afford to build a new computer) and pulled out the magsafe module. I though that maybe someone could make a video out of adding magsafe to a new USBc computer. And who better than LMG. So if you want to consider doing a video just contact me over email or something.

20 hours ago, Iso286 said:

Right so you know how Luke a while back tried the Pizza PC? Well what about cooking a steak with your PC?

Basically I was looking at trying to put together a 12v sous vide setup in a campervan so food could cook whilst we drive, and stumbled on to the idea of if I could use watercooling parts for circulating the water, then I remembered Intel's new 12v only standard and started wondering... could I use a cpu to heat a large enough body of water suitable for sous vide cooking? Sous vide doesn't actually need to boil water, you'll normally cook a steak for example with sous vide at around 60deg, and all you need to do is maintain that temp once you've hit it, in theory with a bit of patience, and some insulated pipes and water bath to prevent excessive temperature loss, it might be possible! The tricky bit potentially would be finding a bit of software that could read the cpu the temps and dynamically increase or decrease load on the cpu on the fly to maintain a steady temperature.

I know Linus was talking about building a PC that ran straight off the cars 12v supply, so in actual fact this would lead in beautifully as well as not only could you have the PC in the car, but it could cook your dinner too!

Actually reading back a lot of people have suggested doing with dry water... you could actually combine those ideas and this one.

Build a PC in a well insulated coolbox filled with dry water, put in some basic water circulation, find a way of software controlling the cpu and gpu temps to stay at a set temperature as suggested above, then throw a vacuum sealed bag of steak and job done... hopefully...

BTW since I didn't explain before, if you're not sure what sous vide is, this gives a pretty good description of what it is and how it works: https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

There should be a video that goes over RGB Compatibility and the best ways to run the most RGB with the least software. Examples: How MSI Software can control some Corsair products like headsets, or how Razer integrates with Hue/MSI. You could make it a competition to see who can do a build that runs the most gear, but has lowest system impact on performance.