Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

I have been following LTT for years now, i have seen all your refrigerated cooling setups, and while i was watching the video about which is better, aio, or air coolers i came up with an idea.

Instead of "ultra cooling" a cpu and seeing what can be done before it sweats all over the mobo, use water cooling rads to drop the ambeint temps of the case itself and see what performance could come from it

so everyone knows the meme all fan pc 
case-made-of-fans.jpg

what if noctua and LLT worked together and made this meme alive ?

The Garmin Montana 700/700i/750i is a new product from Garmin. It is a handheld GPS with a lot of other features. The base price is $599.99 for the 700 series. The i is for inreach, inreach is a subscription service that allows you to send messages using sattalites. It also allows you to trigger an SOS. Keep in mind none of this requires cell service. It is also compatible with Garmin Connect, a cell phone app, with Garmin connect you are able to sync weather to your device and more. Weather includes radar and the forecast for where you are at. It also live geocaching. I think this is worth a look and a review.

Links: Montana: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/633697/pn/010-02133-00

Inreach: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/personal/#subscriptions

7 hours ago, LITHUM1 said:

so everyone knows the meme all fan pc 
case-made-of-fans.jpg

what if noctua and LLT worked together and made this meme alive ?

Ain't going to happen. Just driving all of those fans would be a big challenge.

I had the "great idea" (you can determine how great it is) to make a video that would be centered around a budget build for a flight simulator (or any other simulator) as there is the release of the new MSFS 2020 that will be out on the 18 of this month, I have a friend who super interested in flight like me but is outside of the whole flight simulation scene because his pc is no able to support the simulator and any other addons and he has been looking into building a new pc especially sense the new RTX30 series (or RTX3000 series) is releasing soon.

Came across https://www.eejournal.com/article/ssds-arent-just-faster-hard-disks/, which talks about rewriting SSD firmware to actually be optimized for SSDs instead of just mapping HDD firmware to SSDs. It looks to only be an enterprise only product, with this code specific to database read/writes, so I'm not sure how a video could be made about this, but I'd love to see something comparing this to "normal" firmware when that becomes possible in a consumer system.

in the future I would love to see a compensator build guide that I the ultimate home server gaming machine spec posted below drag raced against a Mac pro

oh yeah... and added to the sleeper series being built in an old ibm 5150

dual and epic motherboard 14k

2tb of ram 18k

Dual titan rtx in sli 6k

AORUS gen4 8tb ssd 3k

Dual m.d sabrent rocket 8tb ssd 3k

Power supply 1k

Thunder bolt expansion cards 200

Ibm 5150 case 2.5k

Unseen expenses 2k

Total 50K

5 minutes ago, will b69 said:

in the future I would love to see a compensator build guide that I the ultimate home server gaming machine spec posted below drag raced against a Mac pro

oh yeah... and added to the sleeper series being built in an old ibm 5150

dual and epic motherboard 14k

2tb of ram 18k

Dual titan rtx in sli 6k

AORUS gen4 8tb ssd 3k

Dual m.d sabrent rocket 8tb ssd 3k

Power supply 1k

Thunder bolt expansion cards 200

Ibm 5150 case 2.5k

Unseen expenses 2k

Total 50K

keep in mind Linus already has a lot of this stuff in a warehouse or could get a company to send it over (putting it all inside a 5150 would be hard though... maybe a replica if the other would not fit?)

11 hours ago, Aka.nonstreet said:

Cooling pc by placing it in a vacuum chamber. 

How would that work? If there is a vacuum seal, there would be nothing for the heat to transfer to and it would just get stored in the cooler and cpu until it overheats and turns off. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

You should make a video about the new fuzedrive M.2 SSD. They are saying its the fastest and last 25x longer than a regular M.2 it also has an ai built into it.

https://tomsfinds.com/fuzedrive/a100-001-i1/

Cross-posted from an email I sent to your contact-us address

Intel loved your trouble-shooting stream and has already said they're willing to toss a bunch of money at you guys since most of it is being donated in the end anyways and they feel bad about LTX. 
So, why not make the challenge HARDER and donate MORE??

Idea: Build 20-30 identical MID-TIER systems and send half to Jay and half to Steve.
  • Core i5 
  • 1660 Super/2060 
  • 16GB 3200Mhz 
  • 512GB 660p NVMe drives (basic, remember?) 
  • 550-750w semi-modular bronze power supply
  • Basic $50-$70 case 
  • Use the stock cooler
This time there'll only be 1-3 issues with each system preventing them from booting and/or performing optimally. 

The race will be to see who can get ALL of their systems booted and benchmarked properly first. 

At the end of the stream, Steve and Jay can auction/donate them off as they see fit and donate any proceeds to their favorite charities.
I'm almost positive Intel would be more than willing to source $$ for AS MANY computers as you want if they're all going to end up donations. 

Heck, you could probably do 30+ PCs EACH and make them spend a full 8-hour day on live-stream if you really wanted to. 
3rd and 4th teams with Paul's Hardware and BitWit Kyle?? I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys expand on this!
-Dax

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 3.4Ghz, OC'ed to 4.0Ghz all core @ 1.350ghz +Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200Mhz 16-18-18-38 XMP enabled

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ti GAMING X 6G 6GB

*bought for $420 Canadian 2 weeks before the 1660 Super announced for $350, just get the super

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60 TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB Intel 660p      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system, it heats my house in the winter.

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller + Wired XB1 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

RAM kit vs multiple individual sticks of RAM

example: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM kit(2 x 8GB) vs Same brand and specs(on paper, not the real specs like the chips used, brand of the chips amd etc,.) but bought individually bought.

I would like to see a review of the

iiyama - G-Master GB3461WQSU-B1 (Red Eagle) 

At least in Germany (where I am from) this is by far the cheapest UWQHD, IPS, 144Hz Monitor on the market. 

I recently heard about this company, Buffalo Pacific, which makes systems that allow you to have holographic/3d meetings. There are many uses for it listed on the page i linked, but the main one seems to be getting better access to doctors appointments remotely. They have a show room you could probably visit (likely after COVID but I think it is still open now) and see all the different systems. The person who I spoke to who saw it said they work really well. I think a video of some LTT staff going to use them would be very interesting.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Feature this new Product in a Episode of: Sh*t Manufacturers say:

@LinusTech @AlexTheGreatish 

Make sure to Quote or mention me (@soldier_ph, my first name is Pascal) if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

My Tech: 

Phone: Oppo Reno 2Z 128GB in luminous Black Game Console: Nintendo Switch Lite in Grey with Avantree C51 Bluethooth adapter for the Headphones Headphones: Sony WH-H900N in Grey IoT Devices: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB with armor case Mouse: Coolermaster MM710 and Logitech MX Master 3 Mousepad: Logitech G840 and Coolermaster MP510 Notebook: XMG Schenker Core 15 AMD: Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 2060 Refresh 6GB GDDR6, 16GB of Crucial made 3200Mhz RAM, 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, 15.6" Full HD IPS 144Hz Display, 62Wh Battery (46Wh in storage Battery), Intel WiFi 6 AX200 Module with Bluetooth 5.0, Swiss Keyboard layout with RGB and 10-key Block, Windows 10 Pro.  Gaming Chair: LC-GC-3 Chargers: Xtorm XA031 65W Bundle and Xtorm USB Power Hub XPD18 30W Cube Pro Tablet: iPad 8th Gen 2020 128GB Space Grey with Logitech Combo Touch and Apple Pencil first generation

Other Tech:

Scooter: Xiaomi Mi Pro Electric Scooter Toothbrush: Xiaomi Mi Electric Toothbrush Lighting in my room: 3x Xiaomi Yeelight Smart RGB light bulbs

Electric Razor: Philips OneBlade Face & Body Smartwatch: Garmin Fenix 5X Saphire Edition

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

On 8/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, zeusthemoose said:

How would that work? If there is a vacuum seal, there would be nothing for the heat to transfer to and it would just get stored in the cooler and cpu until it overheats and turns off. 

Cooling with liquid helium would be sick.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, Chronified said:

Cross-posted from an email I sent to your contact-us address

Idea: Build 20-30 identical MID-TIER systems and send half to Jay and half to Steve.

But why? Where's the fun in that. They're volunteering stuff for charity, not being outsourced to. It's fun when it's just one system because you can spend the 2 hours on or so on it and have banter and stuff going on. This is just like "build a pc-bang with stuff we tampered with for lulz."

It would be more interesting to just create some kind of "who's the fastest/smartest" techie show and repeat the exact same test with people who already have suitable streaming setups, men and women, gamers, professional techies, high school techies, business IT people, etc. 

Like the reason Gamers Nexus Steve and JayzTwoCents were good for this setup in the first place is because they have that setup in place for their regular content, and in particular Steve is a pro at benchmarking this stuff, which is why the specific tests were done.

A lot of us techie people could play this game (and maybe would love to play this game) but do not have the workspace or connection for it.

As for ways of making it more like a "my pc doesn't work", the systems that were sent to them would be like if some DIY'er didn't know what they were doing. (eg no thermal paste, things plugged in correctly, m2 drive not plugged in, bios/oc settings, ram installed to the wrong channels.) What really should have been done was more of a "end user did something" type of troubleshooter, which means things like RAM/SSD installed incorrectly, GPU installed in the wrong slot or no PCIe cable. The BIOS settings should be icing on the cake, XMP, dual channel ram install, correct UEFI-rapid-booting setup, and such.

Like there's nothing really wrong with the contest the way it was setup other than maybe Steve not quite doing it in the spirit of the contest by immediately tearing it all out and resetting the cmos. 

Like this is really all I would change:

- You can do anything you need with the hardware provided that it works correctly and is in the chassis in a state it would be shipped to the user by the time the benchmarks are scored. It won't count as complete unless all defects are found.

- Must identify the defects as they are found or after they are fixed. (Basically, explain why you did X thing.) If they fix something without identifying it, (proverbial "show your work") and the other tech does, then it only counts as having fixed the problem but they can't "bill" Linus for it, so to speak.

Hey guys had this idea for a video and I thought of finally getting on the ltt forms. So basically I thought it would be a cool idea to build the ultimate Microsoft flight simulator 2020 setup. I was thinking valve index (running at 144hz of course), full motion flight simulator seat with a throttle, steering wheel(or whatever they call them on planes), etc. Just thought I would put this out there and I am by no chance a mfs enthusiast I just enjoy the game and would like to see how immersive we can make it. Feel free to leave some thoughts.

16 minutes ago, dothes said:

Feel free to leave some thoughts.

"Yeah, first time long time. I feel like the Jets o-line really needs to step up their game. That A gap is constantly collapsing and we can't properly evaluate the QB if he has no time in the pocket. Love the show and I'll hang up and listen to your thoughts."

^ I realize like 2 people might get this joke.

ANYWAY

Yeah this sort of thing is already really popular in the racing sim community. I see no reason why power actuated cockpits wouldn't make their way over to the flight sim scene too if they aren't already there. People go CRAZY with spending money to make their sim gear as realistic as possible so I can certainly seeing those with the funds to make it happen. Love that sort of stuff even if it's a pipe dream that I'll ever have the opportunity to own one.

Even better, those VR "experiences" they have set up in malls and what not would be a perfect environment for this. (if we ever get to go to the mall again)

Gaming PC:                                        Streaming PC:

-Ryzen 5 3600x                CPU              -Ryzen 7 2700x  

-2x8GB @ 3200               RAM              -2x8GB @ 3600 

-EVGA 2070 Super             GPU               -GTX 1060 6gb    

-Asus B450M-A MATX        MOBO            -GB B450I MITX                                                     

-CM NR400                   CASE          -Thermaltake Core V1            

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Good, Cheep and Easy Cable Management is my fetish.

33 minutes ago, dothes said:

I was thinking valve index (running at 144hz of course), full motion flight simulator seat with a throttle, steering wheel(or whatever they call them on planes), etc.

It's a yoke.

47 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Yeah this sort of thing is already really popular in the racing sim community. I see no reason why power actuated cockpits wouldn't make their way over to the flight sim scene too if they aren't already there. People go CRAZY with spending money to make their sim gear as realistic as possible so I can certainly seeing those with the funds to make it happen. Love that sort of stuff even if it's a pipe dream that I'll ever have the opportunity to own one.

Even better, those VR "experiences" they have set up in malls and what not would be a perfect environment for this. (if we ever get to go to the mall again)

You should be able to use the same rig as you would for a racing sim for a flight sim, it might not work 100% out of the box as I don't think Microsoft have said it's supported but I imagine it will be at some point. Or there are some marketed specifically for flight sims, but it's actually the same product https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/gtultimate-v2-flight-simulator/

If they were to make a VR video they would need to wait, from the 18th only 1 VR headset is properly supported and I imagine it will have issues, I would wait a few months till the VR support has improved. Also they would want to at least wait till October for the launch of the Honeycomb Aeronautic throttle quadrant, unless they get get hold of a press model.

Alternatively one of the benefits of flight simulators is they normally allow any input device you can conceive as long as it can interface with the PC. As a result you have people like SimFestUK who have bought an actual cockpit of a scrapped Boeing 747 and have rebuilt it in their garage, hooked it up to a flight time and made it fully functional. Cost them about £90,000 (~$120,000) to do though. In that case you don't need to have actual motion on the rig because you create the illusion and almost feel it that way.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W ||