Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

In this video, there's something that Linux didn't explore. That is eGPU through expresscard port on laptop. There are cheap used high-end-6-years-ago laptop like thinkpad x230 that has expresscard and cost like 200-300 dollars max. From that i've read, you'll need a psu (doesn't have to be a beefy one), a gpu, and these thing https://egpu.io/expresscard-2-0-egpu-interface-pros-cons-candidate-notebook-list/

Hi Everyone! First time poster here, please forgive any mistakes. I was thinking earlier today how much I love finding problems and fixing them. Sure its frustrating sometimes if you just want to build your new rig and it doesn't boot but when I help friends and family and they describe their issue to me with their computer/phone/electronics I find it interesting, especially if it is a weird fault that I don't know how to fix straightaway. I would love to see a video where two guys from the LTT team are given a faulty computer each with a known fault and they have to find and resolve it before each other. It would be even better if you don't tell the viewer what the problem is so that we can play along at home.

I dunno about anyone else but tech issues peak my curiosity and I just want to get in there and find the resolution. I especially like it when a problem stumps me and I have to maybe ask a colleague for help, they may tell me something I didn't know. The feeling I get when I fix a problem for someone is amazing. I used to work in a telephone tech support role so maybe its just me. I used to love it when a customer would come on the phone and for example their website was down, they would tell me that they've tried everything and no one has been able to help. I loved taking on the problem, listening to them describing the weird behaviour, then sitting and thinking, frowning at the screen and trying one thing after another, eliminating the variables until I found the issue. The feeling I got when I got things working again was pure elation. I loved going back and telling the customer it was all fixed. Their reaction made it all worth it. They would be so so grateful and tell me how they had spoken to so many of my colleagues but I was the only one who managed to help them. 

As it turns out the downside of my job was that I would speak to alot of customers who were really unpleasant, swearing, shouting and making personal comments. After 7 years in the role I developed severe anxiety. Just thinking about work would make my heart race and my mouth go dry. After I developed full blown panic attacks I couldn't work anymore. Some days its really bad and I cant even leave my house. Thats when I re-found LTT on Youtube. I still love computers and technology and LTT lets me still enjoy it even when I'm at home. I would love to see them diagnosing a faulty computer so I can live vicariously. Setting two of the LTT against each other would be pretty exciting. Or maybe even against the clock. Its seems such a big part of owning a computer is fixing problems with it, even if youre not a computer tech.

Sorry for the long post, lol. What do you guys think? Linus mentioned once before that sometimes an idea on paper doesn't actually film well but I would be interested what everyone else thinks.

Post this here

le luci del giorno viventi

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H115i extreme performance liquid cooler (280mm radiator), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4X4GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVME M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Error 404 TLDR not found

Current, Old Rig

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agilty3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

New Rig (in The Works, Missing PSU)

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

Tbh this doesn't seem like it would fit to LTTs current content list. But Jayz2Cents has done few videos about basic troubleshooting. Using actual rigs, one with faulty drive, another with faulty GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can you guys or Linus do a video about MIDI software and hardware, because I'm having trouble understanding the concept of midi and was wounder if it was possable to put a video out about that and I have all ready look on your YouTube channel(s).

Razer Blade Pro got a big refresh, it looks to have fixed everything @LinusTechcomplained about in the old Blade Pro.

Maybe worth a third chance? I have been personally waiting for the "Note 9 of Laptops". Manageably sized, but no compromises. Might be it, hm? Im sure this is in the works, as I am unaware of a Razer laptop Linus hasn't covered. But still wanted to point it out! https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kmxLMZ

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $44.49) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $154.99) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $200.00) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 670 2 GB Video Card  (Purchased For $30.00) 
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $25.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus - BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Dell - U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG - 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
External Storage: Western Digital - My Passport Slim 1 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $20.00) 
External Storage: Seagate - Backup Plus 1 TB External Hard Drive  (Purchased For $20.00) 
Total: $1159.48

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phone: iPhone XS Max 64GB: A12 Bionic. 4GB RAM, 6.5-inch 2,688 x 1,242 OLED, 3,174 mAh 

Wearables: Sony 1000XM2

Random devices in various stages of working: Dell Inspiron 1000 (Works perfect other than battery), Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody (For Sale), Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

Spoiler

"Love is a bitch with a blindfold" You clicked the wrong spoiler! Hah! Bet you feel really bamboozled now!

Try to get the highest 4K speed on something like an Intel Optane 900P. Apparently you need a strong CPU. RAID is bad for 4K speeds so dont do it

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

/biz/ is a great board:

'Hello guys, can I ask you why the hell on this board are you talking only about cryptocurrency? Do you ever try to invest in something else? No trader on this board? Lets exchange some ideas'

Reply: 'I don't want to wait 5 years when I can lose all my money in 5 days.'

https://www.raptorcs.com/ These guys have computers that already support PCIe 4 (although it's PowerPC/POWER9), see how fast you can get a storage drive (no M.2 slots though)

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

/biz/ is a great board:

'Hello guys, can I ask you why the hell on this board are you talking only about cryptocurrency? Do you ever try to invest in something else? No trader on this board? Lets exchange some ideas'

Reply: 'I don't want to wait 5 years when I can lose all my money in 5 days.'

Are affordable server build guides going to ever happen? Would be great if there was more server content but not only the ridiculous advanced stuff you guys currently have. Maybe competition series on making affordable versions of all the different types of servers.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

On 5/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Tbh this doesn't seem like it would fit to LTTs current content list. But Jayz2Cents has done few videos about basic troubleshooting. Using actual rigs, one with faulty drive, another with faulty GPU.

It doesn't really make sense to create a troubleshooting video when the creators already know the problem and solution. LTT when Linus gets involved usually has videos going through his troubleshooting problems and how his thought process is. That would be more valuable than trying to create a video for every type of problem. Like LTT server builds. Linus always has issues to solve there. Those are fun.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Has LTT considered doing a video on "military networks?"  I'm mostly familiar with US systems, but from what I've seen the Canadian Army operates similarly.  It's an interesting mix of commercial of the shelf equipment, and super-specialized gear like DTECH's suitcase server stack: www.dtechlabs.com/m3-pm-modules/.  There's lots of virtualization to save space and weight.  Individual LANs are connected with long range line of sight antennas(like the 12km WiFi video on steroids) or a satellite link.  

Your viewers might like to see people build, configure, and monitor a small office sized network in an austere environment, just to tear it down and repeat a few hours later.

Generally militaries like to show off so I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find some Public Affairs office to help make a video about this possible around BC or WA, USA.

Maybe a compilation of all the dad jokes Linus did? I don't remember the episode in which the sponsor was an underwear and linus drops his pants a bit to show. Need it for memes. Thanks

Linus, please review the new HP Envy x360 with a Precision Touchpad. Here's the link: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-5nx63av-1

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Known for their crypto ASICs but built a GPU... I know it’s not meant for gaming but it would be fun to watch Linus try to make it game.  

https://www.innosilicon.com/html/ip-solution/14.html

On 3/20/2019 at 10:20 PM, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

PiHole whole home ad-blocking

this. im getting increasingly sick of all the injected adds on my mobile apps.

Maybe do a video on PCIe as a switching Fabric and possible a comparison of other Fabrics like Infiniband and Fibre Channel - like speed, cost, advantage/disadvantages.

A3Cube had a PCIe Cluster via it's PCIe based RONNIEE Express technology. PLX/Avago/Broadcom have a PCIe switches, as well as Microsemi's Switchtec PAX Gen 3 Pcie Fabric Switch. The demos from Microsemi look pretty good - being able to share Pcie devices between machines and swapping devices between machines on the fly via commands to the PCie fabric switch.