Need help choosing a cpu for server

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Gotcha. What would you recommend between the dual xeons and a 1950x? The pricing comes out to be approximately the same

Id personally go with the dual xeons as you get much more ram that is cheaper. You will probably be ram limited before your cpu limited here.

Im guessing you will need 128gb of ram, probalby 256gb will be nice.

What are you doing for storage? Id get a few big ssds for the vms.

7 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

should i get a barebones 720 or should i build a completely custom one since i dont really need all the hdd space and the fans are quite lound on a 720?

what board should i look for if i do a custom system?

Id personally get a r720. The noise isnt' that bad, you get the full 24 dimms(hard to find on atx boards), drac for remote management, and often cheaper than going diy.

If you don't want to get a 720, hunt around for dual 2011 boards, supermicro is normally a good pick. 

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id personally get a r720. The noise isnt' that bad, you get the full 24 dimms(hard to find on atx boards), drac for remote management, and often cheaper than going diy.

If you don't want to get a 720, hunt around for dual 2011 boards, supermicro is normally a good pick. 

Gotcha.

what would i use drac for?

Gotcha.

what would i use drac for?

the drac can be used to power the system on and off remotly, boot from a iso from the network, change bios settings remotly, view crash screens.

You don't need it that much, but its great when there is a problem and you don't want to be a the server physically.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the drac can be used to power the system on and off remotly, boot from a iso from the network, change bios settings remotly, view crash screens.

You don't need it that much, but its great when there is a problem and you don't want to be a the server physically.

Ooo, i see. teamviewer is what i usually use, but itd be nice to edit bios remotely.

Ooo, i see. teamviewer is what i usually use, but itd be nice to edit bios remotely.

Id stay away from team viewer and use something like rdp for windows and ssh on linux vms.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id stay away from team viewer and use something like rdp for windows and ssh on linux vms.

never heard of rdp before ?

never heard of rdp before ?

its the remote desktop built into windows.

But for the vms you listed(minecraft and wordpress) id run linux. Its faster, free and uses less resources.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

its the remote desktop built into windows.

But for the vms you listed(minecraft and wordpress) id run linux. Its faster, free and uses less resources.

I see.

Ive got no experience with linux (other than macos), so ill have to learn how to use it some day lol.

I see.

Ive got no experience with linux (other than macos), so ill have to learn how to use it some day lol.

Its pretty simple and there are lots of guides. Its defiantly the way to go for something like this.

Id go fire up a vm on your desktop and play with it.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its pretty simple and there are lots of guides. Its defiantly the way to go for something like this.

Id go fire up a vm on your desktop and play with it.

Gotcha, well I appreciate all the help :)

edit: one more thing, is there any way I can make it suck less power?

11 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Gotcha, well I appreciate all the help :)

edit: one more thing, is there any way I can make it suck less power?

how low power do you want this? Its gonna use a a good amoutn(im guessing 200-300w under normal load with all those servers running + drives and ram).

Threadripper may use a bit less, but not that much less.

Using l cpus can save power, but your getting less clock speed.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how low power do you want this? Its gonna use a a good amoutn(im guessing 200-300w under normal load with all those servers running + drives and ram).

Threadripper may use a bit less, but not that much less.

Using l cpus can save power, but your getting less clock speed.

hmm... i do need the clock speed... am i able ot run 1 cpu for a while until i need more power? It wont be under load 24-7, maybe 4, 5, 6 hours a day , but it will be on 24/7

hmm... i do need the clock speed... am i able ot run 1 cpu for a while until i need more power? It wont be under load 24-7, maybe 4, 5, 6 hours a day , but it will be on 24/7

You can run one socket, but then some slots are disabled, having a second socket doesn't add much idle power usage, so id just leave both cpus in. 

Running that many servers isn't gonna be easy on hardware so there is no way to get this super low power. 

Keep in mind, that older Intel CPUs have HW security flaws (even some of new ones too) and if you wish to run SW mitigations they will hurt performance.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

1 hour ago, bloodthirster said:

Keep in mind, that older Intel CPUs have HW security flaws (even some of new ones too) and if you wish to run SW mitigations they will hurt performance.

Ooo, gotcha. What type of a performance hit will I be taking?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can run one socket, but then some slots are disabled, having a second socket doesn't add much idle power usage, so id just leave both cpus in. 

Running that many servers isn't gonna be easy on hardware so there is no way to get this super low power. 

I see. It’s mostly at load when it draws the most power right?

@Bajantechnician

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-publishes-l1tf-and-foreshadow-performance-impacts/

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-offers-enterprise-meltdown-spectre-benchmarks-gift-amd/

Googling produced that.   Keep in mind, those are Intel's numbers so take it for what it's worth.  I doubt that's the last of the bugs either.

Edit:  You may or may not want to enable or disable any mitigations, but you should at least be aware of them and the related performance hits.   Those numbers might be worse or better depending on the generation of  chip also.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

8 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see. It’s mostly at load when it draws the most power right?

mostly, but your still seeing >100w idle with these systems. 

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

mostly, but your still seeing >100w idle with these systems. 

Oh dang.. how much do you pay for your servers electricity a month?

19 hours ago, bloodthirster said:

@Bajantechnician

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-publishes-l1tf-and-foreshadow-performance-impacts/

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-offers-enterprise-meltdown-spectre-benchmarks-gift-amd/

Googling produced that.   Keep in mind, those are Intel's numbers so take it for what it's worth.  I doubt that's the last of the bugs either.

Edit:  You may or may not want to enable or disable any mitigations, but you should at least be aware of them and the related performance hits.   Those numbers might be worse or better depending on the generation of  chip also.

I see. for what i need, (mc servers, wordpress, email server for wordpress) theres no real reason to run mitigations right?

13 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Oh dang.. how much do you pay for your servers electricity a month?

I don't really know, but I set up some solar panels to power them

13 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see. for what i need, (mc servers, wordpress, email server for wordpress) theres no real reason to run mitigations right?

I think linux often leaves these mitagations on by defaut, so you need to turn them off in a kernel option.

15 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I'd say there is.  It's going to connected to the internet where untrusted people can connect to it, right? 

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't really know, but I set up some solar panels to power them

I think linux often leaves these mitagations on by defaut, so you need to turn them off in a kernel option.

ooo, thats cool. Do you use two panels?

1 hour ago, bloodthirster said:

I'd say there is.  It's going to connected to the internet where untrusted people can connect to it, right? 

For the most part, yup ?

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

ooo, thats cool. Do you use two panels?

four full size panels and a few battres. This was kinda for fun aswell.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:52 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

four full size panels and a few battres. This was kinda for fun aswell.

I see. Are you cutting about $30 a month for the server? or is it less?

3 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see. Are you cutting about $30 a month for the server? or is it less?

Probably about that much, maybe more.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably about that much, maybe more.

Oh dang... rip my power bill lol