Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D!egoSnow

Please, Which is Safer?

:sigh: ... I was expecting more detailed information with the replies, not what I received.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, thank you for opening and taking the time to read my post.

Very well, I am not going to extend this more than what is needed... I need to know from those of you who understand about this particular subject, which Hardware is safer to keep my data, a Solid State Drive [ SSD ] or a Hard Disk Drive [ HDD ] 

I believe I don't need to specify what I mean by safer... So please, could you tell me which one is the safest choice to store my data, and of course... the why?

Thank you for reading this.

- D.

An SSD. no moving parts means less risk of stuff breaking if you dropped it or something.

People will say SSDs only have a limited lifespan, but in reality you'd have to be writing the entire drive like every day for it to die in any meaningful time.

Specs: CPU: Intel core i7 3770, GPU: Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 8Gb, RAM: 16 Gb DDR3 SODIMMs @1333Mhz , Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M LE.

2 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

An SSD. no moving parts means less risk of stuff breaking if you dropped it or something.

if you take it with you that is

it's kinda like this

taking with you, need to be really fast: ssd

not taking with you, good enough speed: hdd

much data, for archival use: tape drives

PSU Tier List//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs///Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Off Topic//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Second PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop : Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Game consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

For normal people SSD's are probably the safest bet.

If you are an /r/datahoarder regular then tape drives would be more up your alley.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

if you really concern about your data use cloud storage such as gdrive but of course its costly..but hell i still have my data in 4shared from 5 years ago

1 minute ago, D!egoSnow said:

:sigh: ... I was expecting more detailed information with the replies, not what I received.

what did u expect? their response is clear enough

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

10 minutes ago, D!egoSnow said:

what did you expect?

Thing is that if your going for a basic setup like one drive then the basic information is what your going to get however, for my sanity I will go trough a few options.

Hard drive has moving parts and like any mechanical part, they wear out and can fail. However an SSD has no moving parts so a lower chance of failing due to mechanical reasons. 

However if you are looking at longevity of your data, backups is the only real way to keep your data safe, you can do this in a few ways:

RAID Array: So if you really want to keep your data safe without uploading it to the cloud then an external RAID Array is your best bet as you can have SSD's or HDD's (If I'm honest HDD's are better suited to this such as WD Red drives and other NAS Spec drives). I would personally go with 4 Hard Drives with the highest capacity you can and run them in a RAID 4/5 Array (Both have different upsides and downsides). As long as the RAID Array can sustain a drive failure then your data will be safe as long as not more than one fails. Also is good for being able to access your data whist its being protected. Even better if you can have this off site incase of fire or use a fire proof RAID Box.

Tape: I have no idea about the technical aspect of tape however tape backups are good for large amounts of data in which you need infrequent access to or for pure backups as tape drives are very slow. 

Online: Depending on your internet connection and the service you will use if this will be effective, also privacy is also a big issue with these services as you do not know what they may do with your data. Also some companies may limit the amount you can backup in a certain period. Also monthly payments, ensuring the company won't shutdown etc. 

There are other options I'm sure however this is what I know. I personally use a RAID Array using 4x 3TB WD Red Drives which have been working perfectly for the last 4 years. 

Main Machine:  27inch iMac 5k Retina (Mid 2017), Core i5-7600, 1TB Fusion Drive, 8GB DDR4-2400MHz, Radeon Pro 570 4GB, MacOS Mojave

Network Gear: Dell PowerEdge T110, TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, Sky Router, Asus Wireless Access Point.

Mobile Machine:  15inch MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), Core i5-540M, 240 GB SSD, 8GB DDR3-1067MHz, nVidia GeForce GT 330M 256MB, MacOS High Sierra

Other Tech: iPhone XS Max, Series 4 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods, PS4, Nintendo Switch,PS3, Xbox 360, 20inch iMac G4, 30inch Apple HD Cinema Display

Any storage media, HDD, SSD, optical disc, floppy disk, tapee, stone tablets, etc. are subject to sudden, irrecoverable failure resulting in data loss, no matter the age or condition of the media. However, media failure is not the only way data can be lost. Loss can be caused by a variety of things, such as malware (viruses, ransomware, etc.), PSU failures, power surges (even with surge protection in place), hackers, fire, flood, theft, user error (such as accidental deletion), asteroid strike (ok, that was pushing it a bit), etc. can also cause data loss.

As Sousuke kinda sorta pointed out, the only way to ensure data is reasonably safe is for it to exist in three, separate places. For most people, this means on the computer, on an onsite backup drive, and on an offsite backup drive. For a drive to be a true backup, it must be kept disconnected from the computer and powered down except while updating the backup (this eliminates most automatic backup schemes because they require that the backup drive be powered up and connected to the computer). Onsite backup drives and offsit backup drives must be swapped out as often as practical to keep the offsite drive as up to date as possible.

RAID by itself is NOT a backup. RAID is redundancy, which only protects from drive failure (up to the fault tolerance of the RAID) and, as I already pointed out, drive failure is not the only way to lose data. An external RAID can be used as a backup drive, but only if it is kept powered down and disconnected from the computer at all times except while updating a backup. If it is kept powered on and connected to the computer at all times, it is essentially part of the computer and is not a backup.

One major disadvantage to using an external RAID as a backup is a second one is often needed for the offsite backup, especially if the RAID's volume exceeds that of any single drive available today. It's usually far more practical and economical to have two backup drives, one onsite and one offsite, for each data drive in the computer.

This isn't to say RAID is useless. It, and other forms of redundancy, will ensure continuous operation should a drive or two (depending on the redundancy level) ever fail. Most of us don't need that level of protection.

My suggestion to D!egoSnow is to use hard drives in the computer and for backup drives since they cost far less than SSDs. You can use SSDs if you need (or even just want) the speed, reduced weight and power consumption, smaller size, and/or etc. and your budget will allow it. The most popular and cost effective compromise between cost and speed is to use an SSD for the OS and programs, and HDDs for the data on the computer and the backup drives.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I agree with what Fitz just said. 

I am Lord Xeb from OCN. Fear me!

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of expertise." ~ Unknown