Motherboard Tier List (EOL)

32 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the difference for a 2600x is minimal, but for let's say that 3850x it would be a whole other thing. the tier b's are good for current gen, but not for next 

Then I should get Msi x470 gaming plus?

And thank you a lot. ❤️

1 hour ago, Ero said:

Then I should get Msi x470 gaming plus?

And thank you a lot. ❤️

is there a difference in price with the b450 tomahawk, x470 fatal1ty, x470 aorus ultra or x470/b450 pro carbon?

@LukeSavenije  there seems to be a mistake... AMD tier A contains Asus  x470-Prime Pro. And tier B Asus x470 strix . When strix is higher model with actual cooling on VRM and just better equipped mobo overall.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

Just now, Xcoool said:

@LukeSavenije  there seems to be a mistake... AMD tier A contains Asus  x470-Prime Pro. And tier B Asus x470 strix . When strix is higher model with actual cooling on VRM and just better equipped mobo overall.

one: i rate on vrm and issues, other things are irrelavant

two: ever noticed a lot of it is plastic and a strix pulls quite a lot more power?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

one: i rate on vrm and issues, other things are irrelavant

two: ever noticed a lot of it is plastic and a strix pulls quite a lot more power?

They have same vrm,but strix has actual coolers on vrm when prime has light covers.

Strix pulls more power because because PBO is much more agressive by default pretty much because of real coolers on vrm.

Strix comes with better capacitors.

Yeah it does have plastic shroud covering part of vrm cooler,but even crosshair has it...

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

Just now, Xcoool said:

They have same vrm,but strix has actual coolers on vrm when prime has light covers.

Strix pulls more power because because PBO is much more agressive by default pretty much because of real coolers on vrm.

Strix comes with better capacitors.

Yeah it does have plastic shroud covering part of vrm cooler,but even crosshair has it...

any sources on that?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

any sources on that?

Yeah

Not no mention i have both.That is how i know BPO is much more aggressive on strix board.

2 minutes ago, Xcoool said:

Yeah

Not no mention i have both.That is how i know BPO is much more aggressive on strix board.

interesting... thanks tho

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

interesting... thanks tho

Well there are same boards,except strix has better mosfets and capacitors...therefore slightly better VRM (more power stages as well according to buldzoid) i cant confirm that part.

But i am pretty sure with better VRM higher power consumption can be attributed to more aggressive PBO. Strix is crazy pushing x2700 over 180w with my 360mm AIO.

Prime pro pretty much never went over 140w with xfr2 and PBO running prime95. And you are welcome.

@LukeSavenije mate one more thing gibabite gaming  5 and Aorus Ultra gaming are the same boards with fake 8 phase (doubled 4 phase) they are the same level sa msi gaming plus.So certainly no tier A.Just jump in the buldzoid's video to 39 min.

Are there any other important differences between MSI B450 Tomahawk and B450M Mortar other than one being ATX and the other being mATX?

28 minutes ago, limelight.u said:

Are there any other important differences between MSI B450 Tomahawk and B450M Mortar other than one being ATX and the other being mATX?

for most people not really

On 4/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, LukeSavenije said:

is there a difference in price with the b450 tomahawk, x470 fatal1ty, x470 aorus ultra or x470/b450 pro carbon? 

None of them are available in here.

2 hours ago, Ero said:

None of them are available in here.

i mean, the gaming plus is decent, so if you can find it at a good price, go ahead

4 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Asked @valdyrgramr on discord if there was any issues on the x299 platform, Like the one on x99 where asus oc socket was frying cpus on manual oc and turbo boost and putting out overvoltage warning prior of bbq. Was told about possible vrm issues and overheating and to refer to you guys on that @LukeSavenije @GoldenLag

i am personally not aware of any issues per say, but the tier list does decrobe what boards you should be going for rather well. 

though x299 plattform should be avoided in general as there are better CPUs out there in form of threadripper or the 9900k. 

hence:

"Rule 2: dont buy Skylake; see rule 1"

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

from what i can quickly read now, it seems to be on the cheaper boards on x299, i think it should be fine with higher end (even midrangers, but I can explain it easier with 8+4 or 8+8 pin boards)

have to read up some more tho

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

As I said on the discord...I doubt it's an issue on the enthusiast or higher end ocing boards.  Do note this was more of an issue 2 years ago, and I doubt board makers were sitting on their asses ignoring the problem.   So, ya it's probably more of an issue on cheaper and older boards.

i notice some have second revisions, maybe that's why

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

I'd doubt these too

extreme4 atx

aorus master (I'd even trust that one with a 9990xe)

ftw k

ws pro se

ws sage

aorus 7

m7

1 minute ago, ReggieGRS said:

@GoldenLag

@valdyrgramr

I'm not deadset on the x299 i'm just researching things so i'm well informed regardless of the decision. I was thinking on a Rampage VI Extreme. I assume that board is free of mentioned issues? And what about the overheating in the article? Was that fix or is it still a problem as of present?

that board should be fine. 

afaik most of the overheating from X299 comes from the fact the CPUs run rather hot while consuming more power than you would expect from the TDP spec. make sure to pack a very beefy cooler with them . 

VRM on early Asus boards among a few others were extremely dissapointing. VRM was not meant for anything but stock operation, something i dont think they can do with the 500 watt monster that is the 9990XE. 

tl;dr i wouldnt look at the dead end plattform. Threadripper 3k is coming and should put an end to the small advantages skulake X had over it, and even in those tasks the 9900k made more sense

5 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Would a D15 be enough? Its all i have of current and unable to change for a good time

depends on the CPU

but as i said, Skylake X is just never worth it. 

5 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I'm looking into the TRs too. Just uncertain of their gaming performance. And i want to utilize the quad channel kit (specifically quad rated not just 4 sticks) i went through so much trouble to get, so a 9900K wouldn't be ideal, altho i was told its performance is great for photoshop, premiere and after affects which will be part of my workload.

do not break rule 2. like honestly, if you are doing adobe workloads the 9900k will be much better regardless of how much trouble it took you to get 4 sticks rated for quadchannel (i dont see why you would look for that as and 4 identical sticks would work fine).

dont buy skylake X. its just a bad idea. regardless of how much money you want to throw at it. 

17 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I'm looking into the TRs too. Just uncertain of their gaming performance. And i want to utilize the quad channel kit (specifically quad rated not just 4 sticks) i went through so much trouble to get, so a 9900K wouldn't be ideal, altho i was told its performance is great for photoshop, premiere and after affects which will be part of my workload.

like honestly, dont buy skylake X. you will be dissapointed and your wallet will be empty. and the system on a EOL plattform.

Shit, damn... Is it that bad? I mean, you're referring only to the price x performance not being worth it?

i wouldnt say its bad. 

the price to performance level is terrible.

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Or is there more to it?

at every workload there is a better option than the Skylake X plattform. like allways.

either it being in the form of the 9900k or threadripper. it sadly makes no sense regardless of workload to buy the skylake X series of CPUs. 

there is a reason why i made rule 2. 

The price is not a main concern but the way @GoldenLag said it's like the chips are cursed or something, jesus... I honestly got scared a little bit... I pictured a big-ass sign saying "DO NOT BUY" and another sign below saying "EVER" lol

if im going to be 100% honest

there is a workload to buy Skylake X, but even in that workload id avoid them. as that workload you would be better of waiting for Zen 2 to drop.

that workload being AVX workloads. 

as with everything, rule 2 applies. it just doesnt add up to buy it. 

7 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Yea the more i hear the more it seems that the 9900K is my best choice altho i'll have to give up running quad channel but as compensation will save a good amount of money... Money i can then redirect for a beefier cooler for the 9900K as i heard it is a pretty hot chip and idk if my D15 will handle it at 5 Ghz

Will definitely reconsider the x299 platform

If you really want to use your quadchannel kit. Wait flr threadripper 3k. Tho at adobe the 9900k will probably stah as the king for a while as adobe isnt the fastest to optimize anything