Google Stadia | Cloud Server Based Gaming

Message added by colonel_mortis

On March 19th, Google unveiled Stadia. This, is interesting. 

In lamens terms, this is Netflix for games. By Google. 

"The Future Of Gaming Is Not A Box" -Stadia Website 

They boast that you can game where you want, when you want. Very much the WYSIWYG of gaming. The keynote showed a google employee (I assume) on YouTube, and watches a Assasins Creed trailer for the next iteration of Assasins Creed and while the trailer had just ended and you would normally have to wait for the game to be relased on the console that you want so you can play it. The idea with Stadia is that you will have a clickable link much like a annotation in the ending of the video that says "Play on Stadia" clicking on this will bring you instantly into the game. This isnt just a emulator where you play it but not a fill spec. You play in 4k! with the option even to go to 8k in the future. Crazy? I think so. Now, are you not on a laptop anymore? You can move to a phone, in real time, and without losing quality. 

Then you can move to your tablet, and even to your television on a Chromecast. SAme quality, no loss in fram rate (allegedly) and no lost in progress in the game. Google already does this with the Chome TAbe. You can be on a website on your phone and then you can pick up where you left off at the computer. Google Chrome shows what you had open on your phone and you can just click on it and go. Stadia, does this. 

The team at Google has though of everything. Including the game stramers. With Stadia, while playing a game, you can simultaneously stream your content in the native framerate and quality DIRECTLY to YouTube. That's awesome. 

Now the quality? 

Stadia claims on their website that you can game at a 4K quality with HDR at 60 FPS! No need to get your graphics card updated, and/ore getting a whole new computer. Once again, AWESOME! 

The best part about all of this, is the games all "live " in th cloud so you save your space on your computer, or phone and that's how you can play it on Chromecast since the Chromecast has no memory on it. 

I know that there is a lot of talk here about software, and cloud based gaming but you can say "Hey! I want to use a controller. I like the feeling of pressing the buttons and using the sticks" to which I would reply with. "Use your sticks with protection" 

But in seriousness, Google is releasing something called The Stadia Controller. What exactly is that? 

The controller looks like a hybrid XBOX and Androuid TV controller. White in color cause Google is about that Asthetich. There is a D-Pad and a pair of joysticks. There is also trigger buttons, and a A,B,X and Y button on the right. Much like a XBOX Controller. There is two buttons on this controller. One called "Capture" and the other for the Google Assistant. Just in case you need to know the weather while gaming. Let's say that you have a controller that you love too much to move away from. Stadia, will have support for USB Controllers and Keyboards and Mice.

Lets go back to that Capture Button. This is what you will press to stream to YouTube, No need to fiddle with any web streaming service to show what you are doing. Just press, and go. Theoretically. 

Now the hardware. Is there any? 

Google as we know has server farms all over the world. What this allows them to do is tap into each of these for rendering capabilities. So if you are in Dallas, the server farm nearest you renders more of what you are doing and the people around you are doing as well within Stadia. Same goes for if you are in Los Angeles, or New York. Not just in the USs too! Canada, U.K, Japan. All over. With this farm technolohy that Google alrady has, they partnered with AMD for their graphics processors. This gives each GPU 10.7 Teraflops of graphics power in EACH INSTANCE. 

Partners. 

As mentioned before, Google has partnered with AMD for GPU Technology, but they have also partnered with Unreal Engine and Unity for Stadia, as well as Vulkan because the bulk of Stadia runs in Linux. 

A curious point of interest is that some games that require more power. The user can request more nodes at more farms to render their games fastr and make sure that there is no loss in fPS and quality. 

State Share. 

With State Share, you can take a moment that is "special" or "awesome" and share it to social media for people to see, it populates a link and you can sent to Facebook or whatever Social site you have. 

Google also wants down the line to bring production of Cross Platform Play. Theoretically this will allow STadia users to play against people on XBOX or PS4 or PC. Allowing for a broader playing ecosystem. 

So the final question; 

Is this the end of console gaming? My answer probably not, because there will always be people who prefer console gaming or PC gaming over this "cloud based gaming" that Stadia is creating. However, Stadia brings forth many questions of, does the console you have at home really need the HArd Drive to save the games? Could we just game off the cloud streamed to the console you already have? That's just a question for when it  comes to market. 

You can learn more about Stadia at their website. As well as sign up for more updates. GO HERE TO CHECK IT OUT

stadia.PNG

It does look promising. However there will always be a market for offline gaming as long as there is slow internet / no internet in quite a sizeable part of the world. 

I'm very much impressed and interested. With Chromecast integration, Google opened up the living room, which was one of the problems with Nvidia's grid hitting mass market. 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

steam starting to look like its on shaky ground these days,

look what music streaming did to music stores,

add the rising price of gaming hardware and what google offers here really seems like the most viable future for mass market gaming

another one to add up to the graveyard of cloud gaming

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I thought about it for a while, and I don't think I'll be jumping on that train. I already have a self-hosted cloud gaming solution, and I've discovered that it's only partially useful at home, or for slower games. I've been playing Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Witcher, The Division, and while the first three games give you an ability to pause them if the stream suddenly lags (which is entirely possible when you're on 4g or public WiFi), The Division experience is very much subpar because it lags too freaking much, and it's an online game.

And I fear that games like Forza will be just straight unplayable because of an input lag, and less than ideal rumble support, but we'll see how it goes, I guess.

This will not work properly out of the box, mark my words.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I cannot see this working well for 90% of people due to shoddy Internet connections. I love the idea of a service for game but this is too much money and this has all been tried before and is a very outdated idea. People like to own their games and have them on hand, i for one like being able to resell media and hardware, i dislike not having access to old games that i love and keep playing that wont necessarily be available to me through a library of online games. Most people from what i can tell like to just have a console with minimal fuss, the good old saying "It just works", where as this wont.  It will heavily depend on how much you are willing to pay to you ISP and most people wont want to pay a large chuck of money for this(Which will be needed for true 4K 60FPS not that i believe that can deliver this down your Internet connection) and the fee for this service. To me this is just another attempt at a very outdated idea that just isn't practical in the real world. Disk-less machines are the way forward at the moment and XBOX have the right idea on this one. I don't like a digital download only world but it is very doable and reduces the cost of hardware to a degree. Well thats my rant over and i'm sure this will trigger a whole bunch or snowflakes.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro