Graphics Card (Cooling/VRM) Tier List (Navi Update)

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the pcb is good

but this is tiered on cooling mostly...

I'm not disagreeing with the list (proudly D tier and reporting for duty) but also no shame in being D tier.

Cooling performance is fine even with an OC, but it's definitely loud AF with the fan speed as high as it needs to be to maintain it.

In some cases, blowers are beneficial over open air (get it, CASES? HAHAHA), and in many cases, they are great for aftermarket cooling.

I'd like to just point out that the cooling method is just one part of the puzzle.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

I'm not disagreeing with the list (proudly D tier and reporting for duty) but also no shame in being D tier.

Cooling performance is fine even with an OC, but it's definitely loud AF with the fan speed as high as it needs to be to maintain it.

In some cases, blowers are beneficial over open air (get it, CASES? HAHAHA), and in many cases, they are great for aftermarket cooling.

I'd like to just point out that the cooling method is just one part of the puzzle.

i mean... there are some single fan cards there too, just because they don't perform well compared to others

tier d isn't bad, it just cools bad

39 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean... there are some single fan cards there too, just because they don't perform well compared to others

tier d isn't bad, it just cools bad

It can cool better than higher tier cards in some scenarios, though.

These lists are fine but having a tier list for everything sometimes feels a bit out of hand.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Auros 2080 Ti has great overclocking performance but the cooler is tier C or B at best

Literally just buy a 1920x is best CPU

AMD shill

AORUS shill

Enjoy me while I'm here, BANHAMMER INC

1 hour ago, SigmaDire said:

Auros 2080 Ti has great overclocking performance but the cooler is tier C or B at best

it's in tier b, where it should be

except if you show me otherwise

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's in tier b, where it should be

except if you show me otherwise

excuse me if I am mistaken but the Aorus and Aorus extreme(tier A) are literally exactly the same except one has a RGB backplate, a GPU support stand and like less than 90mhz core boost

guess I ment to say extreme, in my mind they are exactly the same EXCEPT I WANT DAT RGB BACK PLATE but functionally I mean

AMD shill

AORUS shill

13 minutes ago, SigmaDire said:

literally exactly the same except one has a RGB backplate, a GPU support stand and like less than 90mhz core boost

hm... it seems only on 2000 series to be the same cooler.. interesting

46 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... it seems only on 2000 series to be the same cooler.. interesting

not to be a total nerd but all the cards I have seen from 10 series both have windforce 3x 100MM on both cards.... to be fair though even the best 2080 ti coolers I have seen compared are like 4C difference vs this not huge margins in either OCing or Temps for anything but FTW 3 so idk about past cards but I guess it could either tier a/b since the entire delta field for 2080 ti is sparse which is worse considering the huge ~$500 price discrepancies....

in any case either card could be said to be at the top of gigabytes skews and their cards should perform as good as any AIB so either is fine probably, this is very nuance tbh.

AMD shill

AORUS shill

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, 486DX Win3.1 said:

What's on the E tier ?? Some AliBaba cards?

If there was an E tier then it would probably contain the worst GPU coolers ever imaginable.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the cheap Taobao/Aliexpress knockoff cards were in Tier E.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about gigabytes aorus rtx 2080 windforce 8gb. When you compare it to the gigabyte geforce rtx 2080 windforce 8gb oc, the performance difference is little to none but the price differences by 100 dollars. Please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

22 minutes ago, Asaltnado said:

I have a question about gigabytes aorus rtx 2080 windforce 8gb. When you compare it to the gigabyte geforce rtx 2080 windforce 8gb oc, the performance difference is little to none but the price differences by 100 dollars. Please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

correct, and it's just for a factory overclock and maybe some higher binning

Imo not worth it

why palit stormx ranked that low? The 1660 and 1660Ti StormX models have pretty decent cooling (effective heatsink) while their fans are not that loud at all, and they can be OC-d reasonably well. I guessed they should be around mid-level?

Where can other Gainward cards be? BC they are particularly cheap, so, I guess some cost-cutting.. Putting ASUS Dual to mid-range seems interesting: AFAIK the 1660Ti model is incredibly hot, often builds up heat above 80-84 degrees of C. Are the RTX models or earlier GTX10xx models better in terms of cooling? Because the 1660 Dual Asus is kind of a garbage.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

55 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

palit stormx ranked that low? The 1660 and 1660Ti StormX models have pretty decent cooling (effective heatsink) while their fans are not that loud at all, and they can be OC-d reasonably well

I'll have to look into that, will come back to you about that later

56 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Where can other Gainward cards be?

gainward=palit

56 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Are the RTX models or earlier GTX10xx models better in terms of cooling?

yeah, not those temps for sure, I'll look into that one too

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe on the 580 the Powercolor Red Dragon is low tier, but on the vega 56 it's a mid-top tier cooler along with the pulse. And ventus should be moved to low end, it has the lowest power limit for every class of Nvidia card.

17 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Maybe on the 580 the Powercolor Red Dragon is low tier, but on the vega 56 it's a mid-top tier cooler along with the pulse

you know those are two different coolers, right?

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

you know those are two different coolers, right?

That was my point, you didn't put the red dragon for the vega 56 on the tier list anywhere. 

B Tier reporting for duty.

Privacy is necessary for an open society in the electronic age. Privacy is not secrecy. A private matter is something one doesn't want the whole world to know, but a secret matter is something one doesn't want anybody to know. Privacy is the power to selectively reveal oneself to the world..

• 2 weeks later...

Custom cooling not on the list like e.g. EkWB blocks etc?

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

2 hours ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Custom cooling not on the list like e.g. EkWB blocks etc?

When we were making the list we didn't think about including custom cooling. If you want I can try to get it added to the list for you.

13 minutes ago, XR6 said:

When we were making the list we didn't think about including custom cooling. If you want I can try to get it added to the list for you.

Ye would be epic man. Still counts as liquid cooling after all. Like Sea Hawk X is one of them, EKWB custom blocks etc. 

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd give the Asus Dual cooler design a solid D-. The heatsink is oriented in the wrong direction causing heat buildup, and the fans are a noisy joke. I fixed it though with a 3D printed air duct and a Noctua NF-F12 fan. The split in the air duct lets additional hot air get away from the heat sink.

The heat buildup is actually so bad that the PLA prototype melted from the air alone (and of course where it made contact with the heatsink). It survived far longer after the split was introduced, so the final unit has this design and is printed in ABS.

20190811_180742.jpg

20190811_181317.jpg

I'll assume an update for Navi will come when more AIB's come out?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, SenKa said:

I'll assume an update for Navi will come when more AIB's come out?

and when a lot of reviews are out, yeah

• 2 weeks later...

Rocking my Tier D Founders Edition 1070

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900