New iMacs Released

handymanshandle

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/03/imac-gets-a-2x-performance-boost/

well it looks like we’re getting some new iMacs too, seemingly just spec updates.

Apple today updated its iMac line with up to 8-core Intel 9th-generation processors for the first time and powerful Vega graphics options, delivering dramatic increases in both compute and graphics performance. From consumers to pros alike, users will notice their iMac is faster for everyday tasks all the way up to the most demanding pro workloads. This boost in performance, combined with its gorgeous Retina display, sleek all-in-one design, quiet operation, fast storage and memory, modern connectivity and macOS Mojave, makes iMac the world’s best desktop.

Not mentioned in this quote is that there’s only 4K and 5K on the updates for both sizes

• The 21.5-inch iMac now features 8th-generation quad-core, and for the first time 6-core processors, delivering up to 60 percent faster performance.1
  • The 27-inch iMac now for the first time features up to 9th-generation 6-core and 8-core processors, delivering up to 2.4 times faster performance.1

It’s nice to see they’re still dedicated to their desktops.

The new 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display starts at $1,299 (US) and the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display starts at $1,799 (US). Both are available to order starting today from apple.com and the Apple Store App, and in Apple Stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers next week. The non-Retina display iMac configuration continues to be available for $1,099 (US). Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at apple.com/mac.

Pricing isn’t too bad for what you get, honestly. Maybe a little steep but they really seemingly have gotten better with their pricing.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

796EB625-5829-4FD8-8284-2B7064BDD314.jpeg

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

INB4 throttling 24/7

Hopefully they considered the issues that the MacBook Pro had with it’s thermal performance lol

They probably have and this is a larger form factor so cooling it shouldn’t be too difficult.

We’ll certainly see though what exactly happens.

I hope this means we get new iPads soon then. Not that I like Apple, but my side gig requires me having one (unfortunately).

Makes me wonder how much they will be announcing next week. Rumors still say new Airpods and wireless charger but I'm not sure now.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I hope this means we get new iPads soon then. Not that I like Apple, but my side gig requires me having one (unfortunately).

Where have you been?! ???

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

They announced new ones today. Nothing really noteworthy other than pencil support and new internals.

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Pricing isn’t too bad for what you get imo

Pricing is bad. Base model iMac 27" is 1800$ for a "570X" (a cut down 570) (150$), 8GB of ram (50$), a i5-8500 (210$), a 1TB SSHD (Firecuda, 70$), 5k screen ("1300$" (not worth it, get a pair of 500$ 4k screens) + generic mobo + psu + case (110$)

for 100$ less, you get 2 4k screens. for 600$ less, the exact same, just with a worse screen. 

and thats the base model, which is the BEST VALUE

Now lets look at the most expensive.

2300$ for a i5-9600k (280$? not even.)

STILL 8GB of ram (50$)

STILL only a 2TB SSHD (100$)

RX 580X (200$)

5k screen etc.

so if you use a 4k screen instead of 5k, and don't get an iMac, you save 1000$.

1 minute ago, Techstorm970 said:

Where have you been?! ???

At work my dude (I shouldn't be on here right now lol), I just so happened to see this particular thread and decided to comment on it.

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

they have new ipad mini and air with A12s.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Funny you should mention that, they just did just update them yesterday. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045753-new-ipads-released/

the 1100$ 27" imac that my dad got is better value. 600$ is not worth 2 cores.

We upgraded it with 32GB more ram, for a total of 40GB, and its 1300$ total now. we could buy a 7700k, and a 1TB SSD, and sell the i5-7500, and for the same price as the new base model imac have 4c8t, 1TB SSD, and 40GB ram.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

At work my dude (I shouldn't be on here right now lol), I just so happened to see this particular thread and decided to comment on it.

Fair.  I'll quit giving you a hard time!  ?

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

Pricing is bad. Base model iMac 27" is 1800$ for a "570X" (a cut down 570) (150$), 8GB of ram (50$), a i5-8500 (210$), a 1TB SSHD (Firecuda, 70$), 5k screen ("1300$" (not worth it, get a pair of 500$ 4k screens) + generic mobo + psu + case (110$)

for 100$ less, you get 2 4k screens. for 600$ less, the exact same, just with a worse screen. 

STILL 8GB of ram (50$)

RX 580X (200$)

5k screen etc.

Well I’m talking about the more entry level models, $1,299 isn’t bad as far as all in ones go.

Frankly I think that’s a big oversight a lotta people make is that All In Ones tend to cost more. I’m a bit more reserved on pricing for the Mac Mini. 

For a lot of people, they’d be fine with the base model though.

4 minutes ago, lloose said:

They announced new ones today. Nothing really noteworthy other than pencil support and new internals.

Well, actually it was yesterday.

Unless of course you're somewhere where its still monday.

Which....you're not.

Won’t visit often..

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well I’m talking about the more entry level models, $1,299 isn’t bad as far as all in ones go.

Frankly I think that’s a big oversight a lotta people make is that All In Ones tend to cost more. I’m a bit more reserved on pricing for the Mac Mini. 

For a lot of people, they’d be fine with the base model though.

I'm talking about the 27".

the 21.5" aren't worth talking about. They are just MBPs (with a worse proc). and those are also stupidly overpriced. 1000$ more than my XPS 15, for what, a slightly better screen, and a worse GPU. (560x is worse than 1050 ti moble, and can't do some things like cuda)

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

I'm talking about the 27".

the 21.5" aren't worth talking about. They are just MBPs (with a worse proc). and those are also stupidly overpriced. 1000$ more than my XPS 15, for what, a slightly better screen, and a worse GPU. (560x is worse than 1050 ti moble, and can't do some things like cuda)

?

The big model apparently has a new Vega 48 GPU while the smaller model has the previously released Vega 20 GPU. Certainly is interesting what Apple is willing to pay to have AMD make for them.

Just now, Trixanity said:

The big model apparently has a new Vega 48 GPU while the smaller model has the previously released Vega 20 GPU. Certainly is interesting what Apple is willing to pay to have AMD make for them.

For sure lol

Yeah it’s interesting though what apple has been doing with their computers lately

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

They'll run in the 90s under load. Probably throttle. Just like the iMac Pro first gen.

lol hmmm 

will be very interesting

good. the base model 7th gen still had a dualcore afaik. 

i'm still kinda dissapointed that you can still get them with a mechanical harddrive. why? just go ssd only. doesn't matter if it's a sata ssd, just put an ssd in it!

She/Her

30 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

STILL 8GB of ram (50$)

RX 580X (200$)

5k screen etc.

Pretty impressive they you managed to shove all of that into a monitor.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Pretty impressive they you managed to shove all of that into a monitor.

that is 6 inches thick. You can strap a node 202 to a monitor, and it'll be around the same.

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

good. the base model 7th gen still had a dualcore afaik. 

i'm still kinda dissapointed that you can still get them with a mechanical harddrive. why? just go ssd only. doesn't matter if it's a sata ssd, just put an ssd in it!

Its still not that much better for $1,299 you only get a quad core i3, which is more like last gen i5, and not even a 120gb ssd is really disappointing for the price.