Google Stadia (Cloud Gaming)

The Benjamins
On 3/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, The Benjamins said:

-snip-

Darn! You beat me to the punch.

Anyway, here's the keynote summarized in three 2-minute snips (for those not wanting to watch the whole thing):

More vids:

Spoiler

Alternative reads:

On 3/19/2019 at 1:53 PM, S w a t s o n said:

-snip-

Nice video.

google-stadia-cpu-gpu-memory-840x402.jpg

On 3/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, Java said:

I get the idea for some people, but for me I prefer not dealing with compression issues/latency.  Also, I like having the option to play offline.

Yup. Same here. 

I think google is using these right now?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-v340

SR-IOV, 2 vega 56 on one card. made to do this workload

Edit: This supports the streaming while you play.

image.png.f8393b29608be3fe8cdb5f5226bce95e.png

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Regardless of whether this takes off or joins Google Plus, Google Allo, and all the other failures, I think that the big winner here is the Linux community. We are finally getting AAA titles running natively on Linux. So Google succeeded where Valve failed with their Steam machines. 

You still need LMG internet 

for less than what that costs you could build like 4 top tier gaming rigs in a few months.

it's simply a dumb idea.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Considering that I have been trying to migrate as much away from Google services as possible... NOPE.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

So if Google has a server that is peered with VANx when this launches LTT can do a new video. 50 Gamers NO CPU!!! 

Disappointing that it's actually just a Xeon CPU with tweaked clock speed.

8 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

you never know..

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

you never know..

Google literally has millions of Skylake-SP parts. They'd use those.

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Google literally has millions of Skylake-SP parts. They'd use those.

maybe now, but I have a strong feeling rome makes way more sense long term

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

maybe now, but I have a strong feeling rome makes way more sense long term

Google's datacenter setup is really different from practically everyone else. They might eventually roll out Rome parts in mass, but it'd be a while.

MS, Sony and Amazon? They'd have these types of platforms on Rome. An interesting thought is that part of the console cycle going into 2020 to start is actually this issue with Game Streaming. The big players want Rome servers in place, thus the CPUs are identical on both Console and Game Streaming.

I couldn't give a fuck if it gave me 4k gaming at 120 FPS, i'll never put a cent of my money into a system that is useless to me without internet.  

If this thing (stream gaming) really work... this may "cure" cheating in MP game... everything stay on server side... players just download videos and sounds.

Better to test the latency yourself.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

25 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Better to test the latency yourself.

Digital Foundry found it to be pretty high.

If it is that high, I doubt that gamers are going to be lining up to play it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

wait is it a xeon? thought it was a rome chip

This is probably one of those things that's pretty far ahead of its time.

It's a good concept but it's not one that works tremendously well in the real world. Issue is that not a lot of people have a good internet connection, especially ones with unlimited caps. I'm grateful that mine has no cap and a decent 100Mbps downlink and 50Mbps uplink (likely going to go with a faster one soon), but I live quite far away from nearest data centers, so latency is going to be quite the issue.

It'll probably make sense for people who don't want to spend a lot on a gaming PC or as a mobile solution where they're constantly on the go and perhaps want to kill a bit of time whilst they have a decent internet connection. Personally though, I still prefer offline, really. 

I doubt this is going to replace dedicated gaming machines and PCs, but rather more as an alternative.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, COTG said:

wait is it a xeon? thought it was a rome chip

Google said "Hyperthreaded", which a trademark of Intel's. They're going to be using Xeons. The "custom" part might be because it's part of their already custom orders from Intel.

15 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Google said "Hyperthreaded", which a trademark of Intel's. They're going to be using Xeons. The "custom" part might be because it's part of their already custom orders from Intel.

It does not follow any Intels spelling though, as much as you could argue its a Intel CPU you could also say google used the more common term for SMT.

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) uses processor resources more

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

This is probably one of those things that's pretty far ahead of its time.

It's a good concept but it's not one that works tremendously well in the real world. Issue is that not a lot of people have a good internet connection, especially ones with unlimited caps. I'm grateful that mine has no cap and a decent 100Mbps downlink and 50Mbps uplink (likely going to go with a faster one soon), but I live quite far away from nearest data centers, so latency is going to be quite the issue.

It'll probably make sense for people who don't want to spend a lot on a gaming PC or as a mobile solution where they're constantly on the go and perhaps want to kill a bit of time whilst they have a decent internet connection. Personally though, I still prefer offline, really. 

I doubt this is going to replace dedicated gaming machines and PCs, but rather more as an alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive

Technically, Google is extremely late to the party, though Onlive went through a few iterations of what they wanted to do. Google is simply using their other products as a Thin Client. But you'll still need to "rent" out a pretty high-end Gaming PC from Google with a dedicated internet to really get any use out of it. Further, are they going to use their own game library or can you import your Steam Library there? Or is this something like consoles offer with subscription services for a game library? That's going to cost even more.

Google is trying to be the 4th Console company with a library currently unknown. At least Sega had Jet Set Radio.

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Technically, Google is extremely late to the party, though Onlive went through a few iterations of what they wanted to do. Google is simply using their other products as a Thin Client. But you'll still need to "rent" out a pretty high-end Gaming PC from Google with a dedicated internet to really get any use out of it. Further, are they going to use their own game library or can you import your Steam Library there? Or is this something like consoles offer with subscription services for a game library? That's going to cost even more.

Google is trying to be the 4th Console company with a library currently unknown. At least Sega had Jet Set Radio.

For adoption sake I think google should let you sync your existing accounts with Ubisoft and others to get access to the games for free, once they gain enough users then they will make the money back on game sales through their platform.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yeah, I actually had an OnLive account but could never get it to work :(

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

31 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

For adoption sake I think google should let you sync your existing accounts with Ubisoft and others to get access to the games for free, once they gain enough users then they will make the money back on game sales through their platform.

It'll really come down to how the license for the service works. If you're functionally renting Google's Hardware, you'd be able to import your Steam/Other Store keys/games onto Google's hardware. I.e. it's like a Gaming VM. If it isn't setup that way, then we'll have a Catalog from Google. Which means either it's all for Free to Play games or you'd have to purchase ones on the platform.

And, somehow, this all needs to be for probably under 25USD a month. You can build a more than adequate gaming PC for 500USD. Why would you pay 50USD a month for the 5th best gaming setup?  

18 hours ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Really looking forward to this. I have a shit PC, so being able to stream games that I would otherwise be completely unable to play would be great until I can actually afford to build a decent gaming PC.

I put 100 hours in AC:Odyssey via Google's Project Stream, the beta to this service, and it worked great - I only had issues maybe 2-3 times total across all 100 hours of playtime, input lag was unnoticeable, and framerates were a consistent 30 at 1080p with ~25mbps (I've heard it goes to 60fps at higher internet speeds, but I can't confirm that), although there were some artifacting at times when my internet decided to shit the bed. The compression looks a bit like YouTube's, so if you're using an inconsistent internet connection, it would likely feel like you're playing a YouTube video - but when my internet decided to stay consistent, it looked wonderful and I didn't notice any artifacting at all.

Overall, I think this service will be a great alternative for those that can't afford a decent gaming rig/console - though of course pricing will be the deciding factor here on whether this might become the Netflix of gaming or become a complete bust. After all, if it's too expensive, it would just make more sense to save up to buy your own hardware/games.

I was really happy when I learned that you could play ACO for free on project stream. I don't know how many hours of odyssey I got it but I had a lot of fun, no stuttering. And I was on a high speed connection at the time, so it was 60 fps (I think). Drained battery life like hell, but I'm happy for this to happen. 

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It'll really come down to how the license for the service works. If you're functionally renting Google's Hardware, you'd be able to import your Steam/Other Store keys/games onto Google's hardware. I.e. it's like a Gaming VM. If it isn't setup that way, then we'll have a Catalog from Google. Which means either it's all for Free to Play games or you'd have to purchase ones on the platform.

And, somehow, this all needs to be for probably under 25USD a month. You can build a more than adequate gaming PC for 500USD. Why would you pay 50USD a month for the 5th best gaming setup?  

I dont think you'll be logging into steam.

Geforce now is already basically renting a gaming vm from nvidia which you can install origin and steam on. This is google's in house solution for that pick up and go feeling. No installs they said. I'm pretty sure you'll be paying them a sub for a selection of games ala netflix. They can do this because they have more buying power than even netflix easily