Any news on DisplayPort 1.5?

Knight77

With news that the ASUS PG35VG will finally be released around June/July it’s safe to assume that it will have DisplayPort 1.4. 

However - the 4K 144Hz Monitors cannot fo full quality HDR at this level with 1.4. 

My question is,

is 3440x1440 low enough that it can do 200Hz with HDR and without Chroma Subsampling?

or would you need HDMI 2.1 or a future DisplayPort 1.5?

Nothing yet.  We're expecting ratification of HBR4 sometime this year, perhaps.  Which means hardware won't start appearing until 2020 at the absolute soonest (likely 2021).

As for your question regarding bandwidth, just do the math.  It's pretty easy:

3440 x 1440 x 200 x 32 == ?

Answer: about 32Gbits/sec which is right at the hairy edge of DP1.4.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

6 hours ago, Knight77 said:

With news that the ASUS PG35VG will finally be released around June/July it’s safe to assume that it will have DisplayPort 1.4. 

However - the 4K 144Hz Monitors cannot fo full quality HDR at this level with 1.4. 

My question is,

is 3440x1440 low enough that it can do 200Hz with HDR and without Chroma Subsampling?

or would you need HDMI 2.1 or a future DisplayPort 1.5?

No, the max would be around 150–160 Hz uncompressed. 200 Hz will require chroma subsampling or DSC.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&mode=maxfreq&H=3440&V=1440&F=200&bpc=10

Just now, Knight77 said:

How much would this effect HDR images at 200 Hz?

Not worth spending so much on a screen?

Chroma subsampling isn't that noticeable in movies/games. However, it is quite noticeable on the desktop, and will be annoying to switch back and forth every time you open and close a game.

24 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Chroma subsampling isn't that noticeable in movies/games. However, it is quite noticeable on the desktop, and will be annoying to switch back and forth every time you open and close a game.

Ah ok, 

How quick does it switch when exiting a game?

So on normal desktop use Max Res @ 200Hz - it will still use CSS ?

1 hour ago, Knight77 said:

Ah ok, 

How quick does it switch when exiting a game?

So on normal desktop use Max Res @ 200Hz - it will still use CSS ?

It's not automatic, you would switch it manually in the NVIDIA control panel.

Yes, desktop doesn't use any more or less bandwidth than games.

DP 1.4 provides enough bandwidth for 3440×1440 at 200 Hz with 8 bpc (standard) color without subsampling. However if you want to enable HDR/10 bpc color, you would need to activate chroma subsampling or lower the refresh rate.

16 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It's not automatic, you would switch it manually in the NVIDIA control panel.

Yes, desktop doesn't use any more or less bandwidth than games.

DP 1.4 provides enough bandwidth for 3440×1440 at 200 Hz with 8 bpc (standard) color without subsampling. However if you want to enable HDR/10 bpc color, you would need to activate chroma subsampling or lower the refresh rate.

So over 2 years of waiting and the monitor isn’t worth the $3,500 it would cost or would say 200 Hz HDR CSS will still be better than regular 8bit SDR?

This is why I wish would have been HDMI 2.1 but then my new RTX Ti would have been outdated ....

1 minute ago, Knight77 said:

So over 2 years of waiting and the monitor isn’t worth the $3,500 it would cost or would say 200 Hz HDR CSS will still be better than regular 8bit SDR?

This is why I wish would have been HDMI 2.1 but then my new RTX Ti would have been outdated ....

I don't think it's worth it personally, but it's up to you. It will likely be several years before a more "complete" version is released.

18 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I don't think it's worth it personally, but it's up to you. It will likely be several years before a more "complete" version is released.

If we are looking at several years before complete versions or perhaps 240Hz versions then I will go for it - it’s the best UltraWide so far, if it ever gets released. 

I appreciate everyones help!