Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zFox

Wd40 inside case and pc

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

In this video at 13:52 and later TechYesCity used wd40 and sprays it into his pc and a bit later onto his graphics card.

 

Can anyone explain why? Is it safe to do this?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Looks like he's just using it as a cleaner.  As long as the PC isn't on I imagine it's fine, just have to make sure there isn't any left over when powering on.

I read this about wd40 on Google

" So, WD40 contains a lot of volatile solvents, that evaporate, leaving behind a thick oil"

 

It always felt greasy to me when I used to use it.

 

Apparently it's not electricaly conductive,  but I would not want anything greasy in my pc, when I built my pc I cleaned my hands really well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, emosun said:

I don't think i'd recommend wd40 on your parts , just use a pcb cleaner

What do you reccomend to clean things like monitors, mouse, and keyboards?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zFox said:

What do you reccomend to clean things like monitors, mouse, and keyboards?

a plain towel with just plain cleaner on it like windex

or if it's just dust then a can of air

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zFox said:

What do you reccomend to clean things like monitors, mouse, and keyboards?

glass or window cleaner should be fine for your screen so long as you're not drenching the thing.

Use isopropyl alcohol and some cotton swabs to clean your keyboard, if you need a more thorough clean, pull your key caps and use something of your choice with the aforementioned isopropyl. It'll work fine for your mouse as well.


~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zFox said:

In this video at 13:52 and later TechYesCity used wd40 and sprays it into his pc and a bit later onto his graphics card.

 

Can anyone explain why? Is it safe to do this?

 

 

OH GOD NO!

 

You think the inside of your PC is dusty now?  Spray it with WD40 and wait a week and see what it looks like.  LOL!

 

WD40 is only good for door hinges.

 

What you want is CONTACT CLEANER.   Google it.  CRC is the most common brand.

 

There is WD40 branded contact cleaner, but it's completely different than what's shown in that video:

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Specialist-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00AF0OFVU/ref=asc_df_B00AF0OFVU/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, jonnyGURU said:

WD40 is only good for door hinges.

Starting a carbonated engine as well. Cold morning? spray into the throttle body of the car, Need more power? WD40 it (probably, never tried) 


I make intelligent lights do cool things

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YaBoiWill said:

Starting a carbonated engine as well. Cold morning? spray into the throttle body of the car, Need more power? WD40 it (probably, never tried) 

No.  That's what starting fluid is for.

 

WD40 itself is not very flammable.  It's the propellant used that is combustible and can help an engine start.  You could spray hair spray in your carburetor and have the same results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used the WD40 brand contact cleaner mentioned above on a PSU that was absolutely filthy.  Smoke residue, I'm guessing meth residue, pet fur, dust, etc.  That thing was disgusting inside and when it was powered the way it made my head feel breathing in it's off-gassing of the built up residue is where the meth guess comes from.  The contact cleaner (entire can) got it cleaned of everything.  No more residue, debris, and most importantly -- smell of any kind.  

 

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Specialist-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00AF0OFVU/ref=asc_df_B00AF0OFVU/?tag=linus21-20

 

 


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most I used to clean is dish soap. But that’s only the case or peripherals. If not a micro fiber is enough for me. 

 

Used electrical cleaner and alcohol on a mobo that had coolant on it. Easiest way to get the stains and residue off. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080 SC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

dish soap

Thats good for degreasing stuff and removing fats and oils, but not great at actual cleaning stuff


I make intelligent lights do cool things

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Thats good for degreasing stuff and removing fats and oils, but not great at actual cleaning stuff

Good enough for my dishes, good enough for a pc case. Running water over it wont do shit. 


Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080 SC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 1:54 AM, zFox said:

In this video at 13:52 and later TechYesCity used wd40 and sprays it into his pc and a bit later onto his graphics card.

 

Can anyone explain why? Is it safe to do this?

Ok, so real quick (because I actually watch this guy), Australia has different regulations on environmentally friendly products. Their version of "WD40" is actually water based, not oil based. So when he uses it and it evaporates it doesn't leave the oil behind. 

When he visited the US for NCIX he finally took a look at NA WD40 and said DO NOT use it. It's in his video somewhere around January 4th/5th/6th of this year. Check it out if you want. I'm at work so I can't scrub through them right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, jonnyGURU said:

What you want is CONTACT CLEANER.   Google it.  CRC is the most common brand.

 

There is WD40 branded contact cleaner, but it's completely different than what's shown in that video:
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Specialist-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00AF0OFVU/ref=asc_df_B00AF0OFVU/

TIL, I knew battery terminals had electrical grease but I didnt know there was an electronics spray. 


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Their version of "WD40" is actually water based, not oil based. So when he uses it and it evaporates it doesn't leave the oil behind. 

That... is bizarre.  Since "WD" literally stands for "Water Displacer".  How do you displace water using more water?!?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Ok, so real quick (because I actually watch this guy), Australia has different regulations on environmentally friendly products. Their version of "WD40" is actually water based, not oil based. So when he uses it and it evaporates it doesn't leave the oil behind. 

When he visited the US for NCIX he finally took a look at NA WD40 and said DO NOT use it. It's in his video somewhere around January 4th/5th/6th of this year. Check it out if you want. I'm at work so I can't scrub through them right now.

Don't know what America uses, but it's definitely not water based in Australia. 

http://www.wd40.com.au/sdstds/


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×