Internet speeds drop significantly on new PC

claudeboy

Hi all, I recently bought a new rig and am puzzled. On my old PC, I was able to get speeds within the ranges of 300-500mbps for both download and upload speeds. After buying an entirely new build, I set up Win10 and checked for updates, installed all of the updates it told me I needed, installed drivers for my GPU and started downloading Steam/Battlenet/Discord etc. I ran a speed test to see why these apps and why games/software is downloading so slowly, and I've been slowed all the way down to 5mbps!

I realize I may be lacking critical information here, but maybe there's a simple solution that I'm overseeing? Let me know, and I'll gladly cooperate with anyone who is generous enough to help me out :)

8 minutes ago, claudeboy said:

Hi all, I recently bought a new rig and am puzzled. On my old PC, I was able to get speeds within the ranges of 300-500mbps for both download and upload speeds. After buying an entirely new build, I set up Win10 and checked for updates, installed all of the updates it told me I needed, installed drivers for my GPU and started downloading Steam/Battlenet/Discord etc. I ran a speed test to see why these apps and why games/software is downloading so slowly, and I've been slowed all the way down to 5mbps!

I realize I may be lacking critical information here, but maybe there's a simple solution that I'm overseeing? Let me know, and I'll gladly cooperate with anyone who is generous enough to help me out :)

are you using wifi or ethernet? 

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

are you using wifi or ethernet? 

Ethernet

Just now, claudeboy said:

Ethernet

plugged directly into the Mobo?, what were the 2 motherboards that you have (new one and old one)

I know whats wrong. Windows didn't get the right Ethernet drivers. Check to see what your adapter is. Maybe (if possible) swap it out for the old adapter which seems to be better

Just now, WickedStarfish said:

plugged directly into the Mobo?, what were the 2 motherboards that you have (new one and old one)

old mobo: MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
new mobo: 
MSI PERFORMANCE GAMING X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Strange... it seems those have the same adapters

1 minute ago, 64 Tech said:

Strange... it seems those have the same adapters

How would I find out what drivers I need? I remember having "Killer Network" downloaded or whatever, I dont remember what it was but I know that I downloaded it from the MSI utility driver CD (which I cannot use for my new PC since I do not have an optical drive)

33 minutes ago, claudeboy said:

How would I find out what drivers I need? I remember having "Killer Network" downloaded or whatever, I dont remember what it was but I know that I downloaded it from the MSI utility driver CD (which I cannot use for my new PC since I do not have an optical drive)

This? https://www.killernetworking.com/

2 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

Yeah but it was with my old motherboard... wondering if I need it for this board, but at the same time, it isn't mentioned anywhere on the specs/information about the board on the MSI website.

might have been an older partnership that MSI decided wasn't worth their time (time or money as they would have to have given them something for the program as a partnership works two ways)

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

might have been an older partnership that MSI decided wasn't worth their time (time or money as they would have to have given them something for the program as a partnership works two ways)

Understandable. I still don't know what the issue could be... I just installed the network drivers off the MSI website, nothing really changed.

1 hour ago, claudeboy said:

Understandable. I still don't know what the issue could be... I just installed the network drivers off the MSI website, nothing really changed.

try getting killer networking and see if that changes anything (though i doubt it will)

18 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

try getting killer networking and see if that changes anything (though i doubt it will)

It didn't, but I'm getting fast speeds again today, kind of strange but whatever haha.

Thanks for the help regardless.

11 hours ago, claudeboy said:

It didn't, but I'm getting fast speeds again today, kind of strange but whatever haha.

Thanks for the help regardless.

anytime