Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gdmz28

Help with ROG Strix RX580

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just switched from a GTX1060 to a ROG Strix Rx580 and im having a little trouble with after burner.  When I open AB it shows the Core clock at 1200mhz and the memory clock at 2100.  I believe the card is advertised with a higher Core clock than that from the company.  The funny part is I can increase the memory clock and when i hit applye, it saves it.  But if I adjust the core clock and hit apply, the slider goes right back to 1200.  I am so stumped since I have never had this happen.  I've looked around on google but can not find any one talking about this same issue.  Any one have any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

did you use ddu (display driver uninstaller) to remove the nvidia display drivers before installing the 580?


r5 2400G | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 8GB cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gdmz28 said:

I just switched from a GTX1060 to a ROG Strix Rx580 and im having a little trouble with after burner.  When I open AB it shows the Core clock at 1200mhz and the memory clock at 2100.  I believe the card is advertised with a higher Core clock than that from the company.  The funny part is I can increase the memory clock and when i hit applye, it saves it.  But if I adjust the core clock and hit apply, the slider goes right back to 1200.  I am so stumped since I have never had this happen.  I've looked around on google but can not find any one talking about this same issue.  Any one have any ideas?

Did you buy it used?


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 with BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9 // GPU: Gigabyte Gaming RX 580 4GB// Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-B75m-D3H Rev 1.1 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 2 X 1TB Western Digital Blue | 128 GB Geil Zenith A3 SSD | Asus DVD/CD optical drive // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz 5ms, Dell 27" 75Hz 3ms Freesync // Peripherals: Logitech MK270 | Linksys AC1200 USB wifi | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is with a multiplier of 4. So 2000 is 8000mhz effective speed. 2250mhz is 9000mhz effective speed.

Also make sure you're on 19.1.1 or 19.3.1 Radeon version. Use Wattman for your OC if Afterburner isn't working.


██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Cyracus said:

did you use ddu (display driver uninstaller) to remove the nvidia display drivers before installing the 580?

I forgot to try that so I just did it and it makes no difference 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, fluxdeity said:

That is with a multiplier of 4. So 2000 is 8000mhz effective speed. 2250mhz is 9000mhz effective speed.

I understand that.  I don't understand why when I change the Core clock to anything other than the 1200mhz After burner shows, when I hit apply it goes back to 1200mhz

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any GPU OC software can be buggy. I've had issues with Afterburner and GPU Tweak II. Wattman seems to be the best for me.


██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

That is with a multiplier of 4. So 2000 is 8000mhz effective speed. 2250mhz is 9000mhz effective speed.

Also make sure you're on 19.1.1 or 19.3.1 Radeon version. Use Wattman for your OC if Afterburner isn't working.

 

This is starting to drive me nuts.  I tried wattman while it was on 19.1.1 and it did the same thing.  I updated to 19.3.2 and it still does it.  I can change anything I want but when ever I try to adjust core settings, as soon as I hit apply it goes back to 1200.  Could it be a bios issue with the card?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gdmz28 said:

 

This is starting to drive me nuts.  I tried wattman while it was on 19.1.1 and it did the same thing.  I updated to 19.3.2 and it still does it.  I can change anything I want but when ever I try to adjust core settings, as soon as I hit apply it goes back to 1200.  Could it be a bios issue with the card?

That is what i thought might be it.  Was it used for mining.  It could have a boss that prioritizes low voltage and clock's


CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 with BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9 // GPU: Gigabyte Gaming RX 580 4GB// Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-B75m-D3H Rev 1.1 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 2 X 1TB Western Digital Blue | 128 GB Geil Zenith A3 SSD | Asus DVD/CD optical drive // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz 5ms, Dell 27" 75Hz 3ms Freesync // Peripherals: Logitech MK270 | Linksys AC1200 USB wifi | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Search online for your stock BIOS and flash it. Can't do any harm.


██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, Spudbilly said:

That is what i thought might be it.  Was it used for mining.  It could have a boss that prioritizes low voltage and clock's

The guy I got it from told me it never was.  I still talk to him and he was even willing to give me my money back.  I believe him that it wasnt

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

Search online for your stock BIOS and flash it. Can't do any harm.

Any idea on where to look?  I was searching and I couldn't find anything

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gdmz28 said:

Any idea on where to look?  I was searching and I couldn't find anything

This should do the trick. The main difference between manufacturers BIOS' is the base clock.


██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites

And here a list of Asus RX 580 BIOS. I'm not sure the difference between 015.050.000.001.000000 and 

015.050.002.001.000000 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

And here a list of Asus RX 580 BIOS. I'm not sure the difference between 015.050.000.001.000000 and 

015.050.002.001.000000 

I did a bios flash and now I can finally overclock.  But it still isn't right lol.  If I use gpu tweak and set the core to 1380 and hit apply, it jumps up higher.  For some reason it won't so what Im telling it to do.  But, I can atleast overclock and it isn't stuck at 1200mhz lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×