CPU/MOBO not recognizing total memory ammount (MY FAULT)

The donkey writing this post had a bit of an issue when performing a thermal paste re-application, turns out AMD's wraith prism cooler preapplied compound is not exactly the best and my cpu got stuck to it (REALLY STUCK). I tried many methods (such as, twisting, 99% isopropanol and rubbing dental floss on corners)  before pulling out the hair dryer and heating up the damn thing and finally pulling it away. However in the process I might have bent a few pins and/or accidentally dropped some dried thermal compound gunk on the pins (Old Intel user, blessed be LGA). when I rebuilt my rig I noticed in the bios only half of my 16GB ram was available, although it recognized the two modules. tried switching channels, tried removing one DIMM (it does recognize the total capacity of a single stick). Now I am stuck with 8GB of memory and noticing some instability.

Pictures were taken after the disaster. I did rinse the CPU with isopropyl to remove some of the gunk on the pins, and it's pristine clean now.

system report below

Spoiler

------------------
System Information --> Mobo is an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F (bought at launch), and a RTX 2080Ti Aorus extreme blablabla if you're curious.
------------------
      Time of this report: 3/18/2019, 18:28:21
             Machine name: DESKTOP-NRPCP4O
               Machine Id: {C844C007-1568-469B-BFC1-F9976BF31EFC}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/09/18 18:56:14 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)
                Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor          (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM this is interesting
      Available OS Memory: 8112MB RAM

Page File: 20779MB used, 3744MB available

CPU1.jpeg

cpu2.jpeg

CPU3.jpeg

CPU4.jpeg

CPU5.jpeg

Pins look good.  At least from my from my laptop screen.

Anything get into the socket maybe? 

I see some thermal goop on the pins, if you inserted it with the goop on the pins you now may have goop on the socket and it could be a lost cause, try cleaning the pins first more throughly.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Pins look good.  At least from my from my laptop screen.

Anything get into the socket maybe? 

Now that's the million dollar question! Any tips on checking it out? This Mobo has always been... iffy with RAM, bought it at launch, probably first revision.

Just now, Snipergod87 said:

I see some thermal goop on the pins, if you inserted it with the goop on the pins you now may have goop on the socket and it could be a lost cause, try cleaning the pins first more throughly.

Already have, they're shining now. although I had to rebuild the machine so I could deliver an assignment, only god knows how those pins are looking now.

3 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

try cleaning the pins first more throughly.

This is good advice.  Make them perfect.

3 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

Now that's the million dollar question! Any tips on checking it out? This Mobo has always been... iffy with RAM, bought it at launch, probably first revision.

If it worked before but now doesn't it's not the BIOS or anything.  It's gotta be something with the CPU removal.  Get a flashlight and look down the socket.  If you see anything you could try to flush it with 70% or higher IPA.

Compressed air/duster might work too.

14 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

------------------
System Information --> Mobo is an ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F (bought at launch), and a RTX 2080Ti Aorus extreme blablabla if you're curious.
------------------
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

I find it very odd that DXDIAG reads the 16gb but the bios does not... ?

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

This is good advice.  Make them perfect.

If it worked before but now doesn't it's not the BIOS or anything.  It's gotta be something with the CPU removal.  Get a flashlight and look down the socket.  If you see anything you could try to flush it with 70% or higher IPA.

Compressed air/duster might work too.

I took this picture of the socket with my S9+ (Hate it's camera). I doubt any of us can make anything out of it. But I have dropped 99% IPA on the socket and brushed it a little, haven't tried blowing air on it tho.

SOCKET1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

But I have dropped 99% IPA on the socket and brushed it a little, haven't tried blowing air on it tho.

I'd probably get methodical, remove the MOBO and let it cool to room temp, get some electronics duster canned air, go one by one and hit every hole with a quick shot.

If that doesn't clear it, you might be stuck.

13 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'd probably get methodical, remove the MOBO and let it cool to room temp, get some electronics duster canned air, go one by one and hit every hole with a quick shot.

If that doesn't clear it, you might be stuck.

Canned air dusters are very hard to find where I live, I do have a very dubious air compressor but it's nozzle is too wide for it. I can brush the socket some more with IPA tho. I wouldn't mind buying a new MOBO, however i'd like to make sure it's not the CPU first. I just have to find someone with an AM4 socket to test out....  Hmmm I could also strap a straw to the compressor nozzle, I'm starting to think like Linus now.

Alright gentleman, I have some updates. It seems the mobo does recognize both DIMMS in their respective slot but for some reason is only allowing the OS half of the total amount!

On a footnote, my memory is also rated for 3200mhz and I could never get it past 2133mhz, both using D.O.C.P or manually setting the ram speed to it's advertised value, it fails to post with anything but auto.

Don't forget to say hi to my reflection on the screen :)

BIOS2.jpeg

BIOS1.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

<snip>

Hey there,

Question though... After reading this post; what's the actual problem here? Windows not recognizing 8GB of your 16GB set, the memory frequency or something with the CPU?

One thing I can say though is that Asus recommends a different memory setup as compared to what you have now:

image.png.fb54f760196bb47a2bee344b4112bd73.png

Of course other setups should work too, but since this is what is recommend it might be worth it to try this out.

What's the exact memory kit you got, because XAMP nowadays on the newest BIOS versions is usually quite okay with memory 'overclocking' (usually not with great timings, but it works). A BIOS update might be a good thing to do too, if you have not already. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Hey there,

Question though... After reading this post; what's the actual problem here? Windows not recognizing 8GB of your 16GB set, the memory frequency or something with the CPU?

One thing I can say though is that Asus recommends a different memory setup as compared to what you have now:

image.png.fb54f760196bb47a2bee344b4112bd73.png

Of course other setups should work too, but since this is what is recommend it might be worth it to try this out.

What's the exact memory kit you got, because XAMP nowadays on the newest BIOS versions is usually quite okay with memory 'overclocking' (usually not with great timings, but it works). A BIOS update might be a good thing to do too, if you have not already. 

I have no idea where the problem actually lies, I'll try moving the ram as ASUS recommends and I'll get back to you in a moment. The frequency thing was just to mention, my priority is getting my 16gb back.

It just hangs on the *proper configuration* No post whatsoever

15531197685956109105980032232056.jpg

8 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

It just hangs on the *proper configuration* No post whatsoever

Huh, that's interesting.. Do the sticks work separate from each other, as in is it just one of the sticks causing issues, or both?
If you are using either stick in B2, does it boot?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Huh, that's interesting.. Do the sticks work separate from each other, as in is it just one of the sticks causing issues, or both?
If you are using either stick in B2, does it boot?

I got them both in the recommended setup by first booting a single stick on A2 and then adding the other to B2. Still same problems.

Also notice in the spoiler below how Dxdiag does recognize the total amount of ram but only half is allocated to windows.

Spoiler

------------------

15531207344073764444467443353317.jpg

15531207795286434255137693853102.jpg

1553120865779202005773697755826.jpg

10 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

I got them both in the recommended setup by first booting a single stick on A2 and then adding the other to B2. Still same problems.

Sounds a lot like something is broken in the CPU/socket side.

Otherwise, did you try the newest BIOS or maybe one version lower?

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Sounds a lot like something is broken in the CPU/socket side.

Otherwise, did you try the newest BIOS or maybe one version lower?

It's how all started anyway and I feel like messing with the BIOS at this point will only add more variables. I'll search for a local tech repair shop so they can maybe clean the socket or lit this dreaded motherboard on fire. Getting kinda tired of dealing with this. Also my ram is Intel XMP 2.0 ready, how treacherous.

12 minutes ago, Revanchist said:

It's how all started anyway and I feel like messing with the BIOS at this point will only add more variables. I'll search for a local tech repair shop so they can maybe clean the socket or lit this dreaded motherboard on fire. Getting kinda tired of dealing with this. Also my ram is Intel XMP 2.0 ready, how treacherous.

WHOA WHOA! Hold the horses! the other half of the memory is recognized but hardware reserved! and I don't have my OS memory capped. ?

image.png.662791e54312365d7b52e046ca1ec479.png

image.png.cf55652645a245fd857a75b5bc60fb3f.png

• 2 years later...
On 3/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, Revanchist said:

WHOA WHOA! Hold the horses! the other half of the memory is recognized but hardware reserved! and I don't have my OS memory capped. ?

image.png.662791e54312365d7b52e046ca1ec479.png

image.png.cf55652645a245fd857a75b5bc60fb3f.png

Did you every figure this out because this problem just happened to me two days ago