Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cavalry_2010

Kinda Dead Motherboard?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have with a mobo that is kinda old and kinda dead (lel)..

The mobo in question is the Asrock 775i65G R2.03, physically looks good, no bad caps, no corrosion, no rust, nothing. And in fact it posts perfectly fine, I can access the BIOS and play around with it, change options, the usual stuff. However, when I try to load an OS (In this case WinXP), it resets, it reaches the "Windows XP" splash screen and resets. It's not like it turns off for a sec and then starts up again, it's like a software reset because the fans keep spining and the screen goes black and starts again. I also tried reinstalling WinXP with a CD and a new SATA HDD but it restarts at the early begining in the "Loading files..." screen or later in the "Copying files" process after formatting the hard drive. I already tried changing the ram (ram works perfectly on a similar PC), changing the proccessor, changing the cd drive and hard drive, and taking the mobo out of the case and setting it on a cardboard box, the ONLY thing that I haven't changed is the PSU sice it looks good and is somewhat new.. (But who knows, could be the problem). So any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

 

PS: Before someones goes out and says "Dood that is so 0ld, buy 4 new system!!!!111".. This is not going to be my daily driver, it's going to be a secondary WinXP dedicated machine :P

PS2: If I wrote something wrong, forgive me. English is not my native language

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cavalry_2010 said:

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have with a mobo that is kinda old and kinda dead (lel)..

The mobo in question is the Asrock 775i65G R2.03, physically looks good, no bad caps, no corrosion, no rust, nothing. And in fact it posts perfectly fine, I can access the BIOS and play around with it, change options, the usual stuff. However, when I try to load an OS (In this case WinXP), it resets, it reaches the "Windows XP" splash screen and resets. It's not like it turns off for a sec and then starts up again, it's like a software reset because the fans keep spining and the screen goes black and starts again. I also tried reinstalling WinXP with a CD and a new SATA HDD but it restarts at the early begining in the "Loading files..." screen or later in the "Copying files" process after formatting the hard drive. I already tried changing the ram (ram works perfectly on a similar PC), changing the proccessor, changing the cd drive and hard drive, and taking the mobo out of the case and setting it on a cardboard box, the ONLY thing that I haven't changed is the PSU sice it looks good and is somewhat new.. (But who knows, could be the problem). So any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

 

PS: Before someones goes out and says "Dood that is so 0ld, buy 4 new system!!!!111".. This is not going to be my daily driver, it's going to be a secondary WinXP dedicated machine :P

PS2: If I wrote something wrong, forgive me. English is not my native language

Well! In such cases i would take it step by step to reach the core of the problem. Firstly i would change the power supply and test the system out. If that still not works, i would use the old power supply on a system that i know that actually works. This helps you to rule out the power supply fault if its there. Then in the same way, i would go on working my way to the ram, the cpu, the drives, the graphic card. If you attempted overclocking the system, then dial back the overclock and check. Because most of the bootup problems might be related to overclocking. The board you mentioned supports overclocking. So reset the bios to safe defaults and recheck. If all the above solutions don't work, why not chuck it out the terrace of your building or house to check whether it remains alive or dies XDXD

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cavalry_2010 said:

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have with a mobo that is kinda old and kinda dead (lel)..

The mobo in question is the Asrock 775i65G R2.03, physically looks good, no bad caps, no corrosion, no rust, nothing. And in fact it posts perfectly fine, I can access the BIOS and play around with it, change options, the usual stuff. However, when I try to load an OS (In this case WinXP), it resets, it reaches the "Windows XP" splash screen and resets. It's not like it turns off for a sec and then starts up again, it's like a software reset because the fans keep spining and the screen goes black and starts again. I also tried reinstalling WinXP with a CD and a new SATA HDD but it restarts at the early begining in the "Loading files..." screen or later in the "Copying files" process after formatting the hard drive. I already tried changing the ram (ram works perfectly on a similar PC), changing the proccessor, changing the cd drive and hard drive, and taking the mobo out of the case and setting it on a cardboard box, the ONLY thing that I haven't changed is the PSU sice it looks good and is somewhat new.. (But who knows, could be the problem). So any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

 

PS: Before someones goes out and says "Dood that is so 0ld, buy 4 new system!!!!111".. This is not going to be my daily driver, it's going to be a secondary WinXP dedicated machine :P

PS2: If I wrote something wrong, forgive me. English is not my native language

As per this, your issue might just be related to a bad power supply. Open up the supply being careful not to touch the internal components (wear gloves if you have) and check for any bad capacitors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cavalry_2010 said:

Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have with a mobo that is kinda old and kinda dead (lel)..

The mobo in question is the Asrock 775i65G R2.03, physically looks good, no bad caps, no corrosion, no rust, nothing. And in fact it posts perfectly fine, I can access the BIOS and play around with it, change options, the usual stuff. However, when I try to load an OS (In this case WinXP), it resets, it reaches the "Windows XP" splash screen and resets. It's not like it turns off for a sec and then starts up again, it's like a software reset because the fans keep spining and the screen goes black and starts again. I also tried reinstalling WinXP with a CD and a new SATA HDD but it restarts at the early begining in the "Loading files..." screen or later in the "Copying files" process after formatting the hard drive. I already tried changing the ram (ram works perfectly on a similar PC), changing the proccessor, changing the cd drive and hard drive, and taking the mobo out of the case and setting it on a cardboard box, the ONLY thing that I haven't changed is the PSU sice it looks good and is somewhat new.. (But who knows, could be the problem). So any suggestions? Thanks in advance..

 

PS: Before someones goes out and says "Dood that is so 0ld, buy 4 new system!!!!111".. This is not going to be my daily driver, it's going to be a secondary WinXP dedicated machine :P

PS2: If I wrote something wrong, forgive me. English is not my native language

Or it might just be that your software installation is corrupted. Redownload windows XP from a torrent site and burn to disc or usb. Then use that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Well! In such cases i would take it step by step to reach the core of the problem. Firstly i would change the power supply and test the system out. If that still not works, i would use the old power supply on a system that i know that actually works. This helps you to rule out the power supply fault if its there. Then in the same way, i would go on working my way to the ram, the cpu, the drives, the graphic card. If you attempted overclocking the system, then dial back the overclock and check. Because most of the bootup problems might be related to overclocking. The board you mentioned supports overclocking. So reset the bios to safe defaults and recheck. If all the above solutions don't work, why not chuck it out the terrace of your building or house to check whether it remains alive or dies XDXD

 

11 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

As per this, your issue might just be related to a bad power supply. Open up the supply being careful not to touch the internal components (wear gloves if you have) and check for any bad capacitors.

 

Hi! Thanks for the fast response, I will definitely try to use another PSU that I have, and try to again check the ram, currently I don't have any overclocking on this board, everything is stock, I am using integrated graphics.

9 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Or it might just be that your software installation is corrupted. Redownload windows XP from a torrent site and burn to disc or usb. Then use that

Already done that, for the installation media I burned a blank cd with windows xp home sp2 (idk I like it more lol), because if I use a flash drive it just says "A disk read error ocurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".. soooo yeah. I'm going to try another PSU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

UPDATE: Tried a different PSU that I know 100% works fine, same problem. it keeps restarting randomly in the WinXP setup, sometimes in the "Checking your hardware configuration", sometimes in "Loading files", sometimes formatting, it's a mess.. after testing every component individually I came to the conclusion that this mobo is ded. Well.. not 100% because it posts and I can access the BIOS.. maybe it's in between 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cavalry_2010 said:

UPDATE: Tried a different PSU that I know 100% works fine, same problem. it keeps restarting randomly in the WinXP setup, sometimes in the "Checking your hardware configuration", sometimes in "Loading files", sometimes formatting, it's a mess.. after testing every component individually I came to the conclusion that this mobo is ded. Well.. not 100% because it posts and I can access the BIOS.. maybe it's in between 😛

Well its kinda dead. So why not make a video about you throwing it out the window and see whether it survives?XD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×