NEW IPADS RELEASED!

MrFixitBlankFace
49 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

4 gigs of ram would've been nice, come on apple there are toasters with more ram.

Yeah for a $399 tablet the iPad mini and  $499 Air only have 2GB of ram? Like come Apple on at least give the iPad mini 3GB of ram and USB-C. Not surprised the Verge didn't mention it at all lol.

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah for a $399 tablet the iPad mini and  $499 Air only have 2GB of ram? Like come Apple on at least give the iPad mini 3GB of ram and USB-C. Not surprised the Verge didn't mention it at all lol.

Geekbench data suggests at least one of them has 3GB of RAM, and probably both.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Like come Apple on at least give the iPad mini 3GB of ram and USB-C

And everyone else complaining about no type C;

It's because these products support the FIRST generation of the Pencil, which syncs and charges over lightning.

The new Pros support the new secong generation pencil, which syncs and charges when magnetically attached to the side of the new iPad Pros.

No point in putting the best tech in low and mid tier devices if the old tech is still rathet good.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

At least the Tablet market is getting interesting again.

It's really not, Apple will continue to dominate and Samsung won't sell many units. The iPad is competing only with itself and is indirectly competing with the Surface at this point. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah for a $399 tablet the iPad mini and  $499 Air only have 2GB of ram? Like come Apple on at least give the iPad mini 3GB of ram and USB-C. Not surprised the Verge didn't mention it at all lol

I don't think you realize that iOS handles RAM very differently than Android does. The iPhone XR for example only has 3GB of RAM but it can hold more applications in memory than the 6GB Galaxy S10 can. 

iOS has memory compression locked in and an iOS device really does not need much more than 2GB to function well. The iPads can actually use the 3-4GB that they have though because of how common multi tasking is on iPad. On iPhone though, RAM is only really leveraged in the Camera app and holding apps suspended in the background. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 hours ago, Rain7 said:

I wish there was an iPad Mini Pro

Instead you can have an awkwardly placed iPad mini that is too expensive to be the budget option (when the $330 9.7" iPad exists) and not spec'd properly to be the Pro option.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@79wjd I only like the mini for the form factor, as I can put it into the leg pocket of some work trousers, but its big enough to watch stuff on the tube but not to big either. Thats the only thing I like about them 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

7 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

@79wjd I only like the mini for the form factor, as I can put it into the leg pocket of some work trousers, but its big enough to watch stuff on the tube but not to big either. Thats the only thing I like about them 

I completely understand that and I'm not saying it's badly spec'd; it's just overpriced compared to the 2018 9.7" iPad (as is the 10.5" Air).

The Mini should either be cheaper or spec'd better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

23 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't think it has to be special. Keeping the existing body keeps cost down for everyone. And besides, what are people going to do, buy a Galaxy Tab? LOL

$499 is not bad for a tablet with that level of performance. It just looses the 120Hz screen, quad speakers, and some other quality of life features. 

Buy a windows surface........

So its just a hardware bump and pencil support?

I own a 2017 Ipad and honestly there isn't anything it doesn't do well. Apps load quickly and run flawlessly. I never have hiccups in performance, and even with the latest IOS, there isn't a hitch anywhere in the animations. It still handles any media I want to watch, and the screen is pretty nice even for its age. I don't see the benefit in buying one that has faster internal hardware since I wont see any performance changes. Games wont run better, apps wont load faster, movies wont look better. The pencil is interesting but I never used the surface pen when I had a surface pro 4. 

It is a good thing though for people who are buying their first ipad or if they are running a generation or two before the 2017 models.

18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And everyone else complaining about no type C;

It's because these products support the FIRST generation of the Pencil, which syncs and charges over lightning.

The new Pros support the new secong generation pencil, which syncs and charges when magnetically attached to the side of the new iPad Pros.

No point in putting the best tech in low and mid tier devices if the old tech is still rathet good.

So then its apple's usual segmenting the product stack to get you to buy the ''pro'' device for something that should be a feature on the refreshed iPads. And no point in updating it if they couldn't put both lightning and usb-c on the iPad air if not both new tablets.

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Buy a windows surface........

But it doesn't have a 120hz screen or quad speakers, which don't matter in a tablet though.

Looks cool, still would rather buy a Surface Go for that money. Primarily because I can play full PC games on it, and can mess around with a lot of stuff with Windows. 

Keep in mind that what I mean by Full PC games is Skyrim at 400 x 300 with graphics settings so low you have to mod the game to get it to stay like that, and basic games like Minecraft Java, FURI, DUSK, and when it comes out the Master Chief Collection tweaked to hell and back to run at 30 FPS on it.

That and I can run Windows processes and watch my Windows Store Movies and shows, because I'm that one guy who bought stuff off of it.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Just now, DrDerp said:

Looks cool, still would rather buy a Surface Go for that money. Primarily because I can play full PC games on it, and can mess around with a lot of stuff with Windows. 

Keep in mind that what I mean by Full PC games is Skyrim at 400 x 300 with graphics settings so low you have to mod the game to get it to stay like that, and basic games like Minecraft Java, FURI, DUSK, and when it comes out the Master Chief Collection tweaked to hell and back to run at 30 FPS on it.

That and I can run Windows processes and watch my Windows Store Movies and shows, because I'm that one guy who bought stuff off of it.

I have some reservations of how well you could play Something like TF2 lol

?‍♂️ to each their own

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I have some reservations of how well you could play Something like TF2 lol

?‍♂️ to each their own

It is an interesting experience. Even though I'm used to 1080p 75FPS now, there's something charming about playing Skyrim like how this man does.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

16 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

It is an interesting experience. Even though I'm used to 1080p 75FPS now, there's something charming about playing Skyrim like how this man does.

I do have to ageee though, I think what my boyfriend @handymanshandle Has been able to do with his Ryzen 5 laptop on tf2 is interesting though I gave some other reservations about the surface go lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

19 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't think you realize that iOS handles RAM very differently than Android does. The iPhone XR for example only has 3GB of RAM but it can hold more applications in memory than the 6GB Galaxy S10 can. 

iOS has memory compression locked in and an iOS device really does not need much more than 2GB to function well. The iPads can actually use the 3-4GB that they have though because of how common multi tasking is on iPad. On iPhone though, RAM is only really leveraged in the Camera app and holding apps suspended in the background. 

A Galaxy S10 has 8GBs of RAM

1 hour ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

I am curious and legit interested, do you have some source where they show the iPhone XR loading like 50% more apps or more compared to a S10 ?

The comparison I was thinking of was the S10e. In either case, the XR shows how iOS can effectively have more RAM than what it’s spec sheet shows. 

Related to memory compression:

18 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

A Galaxy S10 has 8GBs of RAM

Meant the S10e. 

1 minute ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Still impressive, but you exaggerated a bit :D 

Most definitely. Even matching the S10e would have been impressive with just half the memory available, but surpassing it just means Android has a lot more streamlining to do. 

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Still impressive, but you exaggerated a bit :D

Well, of course.

Its Dr. Macintosh you know.  Not Dr. Windows or Dr. Android.?

Won’t visit often..

14 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Well, of course.

Its Dr. Macintosh you know.  Not Dr. Windows or Dr. Android.?

You quoted the wrong person there just FYI. 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

You quoted the wrong person there just FYI. 

Right person.

Wrong way.  I quoted Jack_Of_All_Trades from your post that you quoted of him...its complicated.

Won’t visit often..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Guenveur believes the new 10.5-inch iPad Air could struggle to find a place in the market considering the 11-inch iPad Pro is still a more powerful option that also supports the pencil.

So, looking at the specs out of boredom, this statement is kinda BS. The iPad Air starts at $500 for the 64GB version and $650 for the 256GB version ($620 and $780 to add LTE for the respective models), and uses the $100 first gen Pencil. For $880, you get a tablet only .5" smaller, with the pencil, same single core performance (the high perf cores are clocked the same), highly usable multicore performance (though the A12X mops the floor with the A12, as it's 4x4 vs 3x3 and the A12X can use all 8 cores), and a still highly respectable GPU.

In contrast, the BASE 64GB iPad Pro 11 costs $800 for the Wifi only model, and it only uses the $130 gen 2 pencil.

It has a fairly clear place in the market, it's the direct replacement for the iPad Pro 10.5 at a far more palatable price.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.