The Shape of Silence - Acoustic Meta-materials make sounds humanly imperceptible.

rcmaehl

Source:
Phys.org

Released Paper

Summary:

Researchers at Boston University have developed a sound barrier that doesn't restrict airflow, potential usage include jet engines and other airflow dependent devices.

Media:
BU researchers develop 'acoustic metamaterial' that cancels sound

Quotes/Excerpts:

Boston University researchers...released a paper in Physical Review B demonstrating it's possible to silence noise using an open, ringlike structure, created to mathematically perfect specifications, for cutting out sounds while maintaining airflow. "Today's sound barriers are literally thick heavy walls." Although noise-mitigating barricades, called sound baffles, can help drown out the whoosh of rush hour traffic or contain the symphony of music within concert hall walls, they are a clunky approach not well suited to situations where airflow is also critical. Imagine barricading a jet engine's exhaust vent. They calculated the dimensions and specifications that the metamaterial would need to have in order to interfere with the transmitted sound waves, preventing sound—but not air—from being radiated through the open structure. The metamaterial needs to be shaped in such a way that it sends incoming sounds back to where they came from. They decided to create a structure that could silence sound from a loudspeaker. They modeled the physical dimensions that would most effectively silence noises. They used 3-D printing to materialize an open, noise-canceling structure made of plastic. The researchers sealed the loudspeaker into one end of a PVC pipe. On the other end, the tailor-made acoustic metamaterial was fastened into the opening. Standing in the room, based on your sense of hearing alone, you'd never know that the loudspeaker was blasting an irritatingly high-pitched note. If, however, you peered into the PVC pipe, you would see the loudspeaker's subwoofers thrumming away. The metamaterial, ringing around the internal perimeter of the pipe's mouth, worked like a mute button incarnate until the moment when Ghaffarivardavagh reached down and pulled it free. The lab suddenly echoed with the screeching of the loudspeaker's tune. By comparing sound levels with and without the metamaterial fastened in place, the team found that they could silence nearly all—94 percent to be exact—of the noise, making the sounds emanating from the loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear. Zhang says the possibilities are endless, since the noise mitigation method can be customized to suit nearly any environment: "The idea is that we can now mathematically design an object that can block the sounds of anything," she says.

My Thoughts:

This is definitely interesting to see. I can imagine several usages from the ones listed such as HVAC and drones, to tech uses like Naturally noise cancelling headphones. Granted they don't list the limitations of the designs within the news articles, however even if limited in size or shape, there'll still be tons of use for such non-electrical noise cancellation.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Is the subwoofer playing the high-pitched noise?

Otherwise cool idea. I would imagine constructive interference and vibration to be a problem however. 

That's an F in the profile pic

16 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Researchers at Boston University have developed a sound barrier that doesn't restrict airflow, potential usage include jet engines and other airflow dependent devices.

Inb4 9x Noctua industrial 3000rpm fans totaling 3db of noise

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Inb4 9x Noctua industrial 3000rpm fans totaling 3db of noise

9x 12,000 RPM fans, 3db noise

Case airflow will never be the same /s

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

This doesn't look like it accounts for noise (or alternately, sound of a broad range of frequencies), only an isolated frequency...

if they showed it in action at, say, a concert or an MRI machine as the article talks about, I'd be more impressed. Not sure of the usefulness of a single frequency sound eliminator.

49 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

9x 12,000 RPM fans, 3db noise

Case airflow will never be the same /s

You could sell in large volumes for servers that require constant human supervision.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

not sure if i understand it, does it just change the frequency to one that humans cant hear? if thats the case you can damage your hearing without even knowing some sound is blasting full volume near you?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

13 minutes ago, Neftex said:

does it just change the frequency to one that humans cant hear?

Looks like it doesn't.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

The metamaterial needs to be shaped in such a way that it sends incoming sounds back to where they came from.

If the sound waves are reflected back to the source, they probably cancel out some of those that are heading for the "silencer".

How to make sound reduction sound better than it is: express it as a percentage. 94% reduction is equivalent to 24 dB reduction.

Don't understand the mechanism claimed, but my first thought is does it work over broad frequency ranges? If not, that'll massively limit its application in itself. Does it have to go on the end of a tube? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

Looks like it doesn't.

If the sound waves are reflected back to the source, they probably cancel out some of those that are heading for the "silencer".

yea they mentioned reflecting it back, what got me thinking was the part saying:

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

making the sounds emanating from the loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear.

it didnt say the sound "wasnt there", just that humans didnt hear it

1 minute ago, porina said:

How to make sound reduction sound better than it is: express it as a percentage. 94% reduction is equivalent to 24 dB reduction.

Don't understand the mechanism claimed, but my first thought is does it work over broad frequency ranges? If not, that'll massively limit its application in itself. Does it have to go on the end of a tube? 

ye it has to go at the end of the tube, if sound can bounce around the silencing thing, it cant function

Wait a second, wouldn't the sound wave resonance/reflection vary quite substantially based on frequency? 

Also 94% sounds like a big reduction, but that is only a 12 decibel reduction. 12 decibel reduction is not anything close to that impressive by itself compared to the sound proofing (or NC) efforts already done.

But it would potentially be useful in airplanes at least.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 minutes ago, porina said:

If they mean 94% reduction in sound power (which I'm 99% sure they do), it's only a 12 dB drop not 24.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

seeing as its round this could be great for fans, maybe we can finally have those damn deltas in our computers whilst also being able to talk to another human being in the same building

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

33 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If they mean 94% reduction in sound power (which I'm 99% sure they do), it's only a 12 dB drop not 24.

They used a 4" sub and i assume they are all typical and output 86 db by default so to be as they state "making the sounds emanating from the loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear" it does make sense also that 94% of Atypical 86 db is 5 db which make sense that it's imperceptible too. That would make the sound 11.5 times quieter.

Finally something that blocks the sound of people eating in the library 

25 minutes ago, Franck said:

They used a 4" sub and i assume they are all typical and output 86 db by default so to be as they state "making the sounds emanating from the loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear" it does make sense also that 94% of Atypical 86 db is 5 db which make sense that it's imperceptible too. That would make the sound 11.5 times quieter.

Decibels are exponential however, so "11.5 times" doesn't really cover it

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I had to go back to the article to check. It doesn't help...

By comparing sound levels with and without the metamaterial fastened in place, the team found that they could silence nearly all—94 percent to be exact—of the noise, making the sounds emanating from the loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear.

So, it's unclear if it is level or power they're talking about. I'm used to talking about level, hence going for the 24 dB value.

24 minutes ago, Franck said:

94% of Atypical 86 db is 5 db which make sense that it's imperceptible too. That would make the sound 11.5 times quieter.

dB values don't work that way.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

So, it's unclear if it is level or power they're talking about. I'm used to talking about level, hence going for the 24 dB value.

Here's the paper

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.99.024302

Inb4 this gets used for Gun Silencers.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Franck said:

That is 100% not how it works. But moving from 52 dB to 40 dB with a noise floor of 45 dB is 'imperceptible'.

1 hour ago, porina said:

Level as in voltage difference? Since it's in a physics paper talking about post release dampening, talking about voltage drop doesn't really make sense in this context, so I'm assuming they mean power output (since that is what is actually measurable after the fact).

also this quote from the paper indicates power to me

reduction in the transmitted acoustic energy of up to 94%.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Level as in voltage difference? Since it's in a physics paper talking about post release dampening, talking about voltage drop doesn't really make sense in this context, so I'm assuming they mean power output (since that is what is actually measurable after the fact).

Level as in sound pressure level. What people experience. I see what you mean about measuring the resulting power. I have no experience on the research side.

4 hours ago, porina said:

Level as in sound pressure level. What people experience. I see what you mean about measuring the resulting power. I have no experience on the research side.

Ahh SPL. Forgot that's a thing lol. Obviously in retrospect it is (a thing), I forgot about that though. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I remember seeing an article on this device with a very provocative headline (what isn't these days?), but they also included a video demonstration that told a very different story.  While the title - much like the one on this thread - makes it sound like this is a miracle product that just kills sound completely, the fact was it only worked on specific frequencies for which it was designed - not wide band - and the result, though much quieter, was very much still noticeable and in no way going to take anything from loud to inaudible - more like loud to quiet, or just "average".  Beyond that, I would imagine that a lot of the noise of an airplane engine, at least when inside the cabin, is conducted/created through vibration and not sound through the air, and in theory this would do nothing for that.

11 hours ago, porina said:

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Also 94% sounds like a big reduction, but that is only a 12 decibel reduction.

And yeah that was my other thought.  I know from having calculated this in the past that when you start talking significant volume differences it's factors of 1000, or maybe even 1M, so 94% isn't much.  We would need to start looking at 99.9%+

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I remember seeing an article on this device with a very provocative headline (what isn't these days?), but they also included a video demonstration that told a very different story.  While the title - much like the one on this thread - makes it sound like this is a miracle product that just kills sound completely, the fact was it only worked on specific frequencies for which it was designed - not wide band - and the result, though much quieter, was very much still noticeable and in no way going to take anything from loud to inaudible - more like loud to quiet, or just "average".  Beyond that, I would imagine that a lot of the noise of an airplane engine, at least when inside the cabin, is conducted/created through vibration and not sound through the air, and in theory this would do nothing for that.

And yeah that was my other thought.  I know from having calculated this in the past that when you start talking significant volume differences it's factors of 1000, or maybe even 1M, so 94% isn't much.  We would need to start looking at 99.9%+

Agreed.

In fairness, it might still be useful for airliners that are under pressure from governments to reduce their noise pollution, and that's an application where these could see a lot of use if the narrow resonances are usefully diminished.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS