Games keep crashing because of RAM, even though I have enough

Adorable Cat

Hey, so I've got a problem with some more demanding games (mostly The Division 2 and Space Engineers) where the games and background programs keep crashing, even though I'm only using like 10 out of my 16Gb of RAM. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit with 2 8Gb sticks of DDR3-1333Mhz RAM, a core i7 3770, and an RX580 8Gb. anyone know what I can do to fix this? I know Space Engineers has memory leak problems, but it still doesn't use all 16Gb.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

It may not be a ram problem, it may be that your cpu or gpu cant handle the workloads the game is demanding of them. The Cpu is 7 years old now, and can be overwhelmed with newer games.

Well, it might not be an out of memory error but an unstable/defective memory issue. Run memtest86 overnight (not windows memory test mind you, that's as big of a turd as most things Microsoft has crapped out since 2012 :P) and report back.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

How do you know its a RAM crash? How are you monitoring what your PC is doing? Are you running an XMP profile for the ram? We need more information like what kind of blue screen is it and what windows are you running?

4 minutes ago, NerdBot2021 said:

It may not be a ram problem, it may be that your cpu or gpu cant handle the workloads the game is demanding of them. The Cpu is 7 years old now, and can be overwhelmed with newer games.

I mean I know it's old, but I'm still getting 60fps at 1080p with the high settings in these games.

24 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Well, it might not be an out of memory error but an unstable/defective memory issue. Run memtest86 overnight (not windows memory test mind you, that's as big of a turd as most things Microsoft has crapped out since 2012 :P) and report back.

I'll try that, my RAM is a bit unusual but I've never really had problems before (I've had this RAM almost a year now)

23 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

How do you know its a RAM crash? How are you monitoring what your PC is doing? Are you running an XMP profile for the ram? We need more information like what kind of blue screen is it and what windows are you running?

I'm pretty sure it's RAM because windows kept telling me "you're running low on memory, close programs to free it up" or whatever, even when I still had like 6-8Gb free. I'm monitoring it with task manager, I'm not sure about an XMP profile but the RAM's at 1333Mhz, there's no blue screen and I'm on win 7.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

I mean I know it's old, but I'm still getting 60fps at 1080p with the high settings in these games.

I'll try that, my RAM is a bit unusual but I've never really had problems before (I've had this RAM almost a year now)

I'm pretty sure it's RAM because windows kept telling me "you're running low on memory, close programs to free it up" or whatever, even when I still had like 6-8Gb free. I'm monitoring it with task manager, I'm not sure about an XMP profile but the RAM's at 1333Mhz, there's no blue screen and I'm on win 7.

Windows will say that regardless, I had 16 gigs like yourself and it would say the same, its purely because you're on games. Any overclocks applied? Is your bios up to date? Programs suddenly closing could be a corrupt windows install or a memory issue (not enough voltage, timings incorrect etc)

31 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Windows will say that regardless, I had 16 gigs like yourself and it would say the same, its purely because you're on games. Any overclocks applied? Is your bios up to date? Programs suddenly closing could be a corrupt windows install or a memory issue (not enough voltage, timings incorrect etc)

well, I can think of one RAM thing that it could be being caused by, even though I've been reluctant to admit it to myself. My RAM is DDR3 SO-DIMMs in adapters that let them work in my desktop, and I've never had any problems yet (but I also just recently got a new GPU, so I've never actually been able to max out my settings). The RAM worked perfectly in the laptop I got it from and the HP motherboard I used for a few months, but when I got my B75 board it had issues where it wouldn't POST after being off for a while until I used the motherboards MemOK button with at least 1 normal stick of RAM (I just keep a 2Gb stick I found in a drawer around). I've never really tried messing with the RAM settings because of that, but that might be why now that I'm actually able to push my system it's having problems. I'll see if I can tweak them later when I get home, but I also am definitely planning to go to something more modern once Zen 2 comes around (though maybe I'll still buy so-dimms just to keep the novelty of laptop RAM in a desktop).

1 hour ago, Adorable Cat said:

well, I can think of one RAM thing that it could be being caused by, even though I've been reluctant to admit it to myself. My RAM is DDR3 SO-DIMMs in adapters that let them work in my desktop, and I've never had any problems yet (but I also just recently got a new GPU, so I've never actually been able to max out my settings). The RAM worked perfectly in the laptop I got it from and the HP motherboard I used for a few months, but when I got my B75 board it had issues where it wouldn't POST after being off for a while until I used the motherboards MemOK button with at least 1 normal stick of RAM (I just keep a 2Gb stick I found in a drawer around). I've never really tried messing with the RAM settings because of that, but that might be why now that I'm actually able to push my system it's having problems. I'll see if I can tweak them later when I get home, but I also am definitely planning to go to something more modern once Zen 2 comes around (though maybe I'll still buy so-dimms just to keep the novelty of laptop RAM in a desktop).

sounds to me like your ram just needs setting up correctly and or possibly the adapters might be faulty, tbh I'd go with my first assumption.