[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
1 minute ago, hollyh88 said:

i mean 2080ti i suppose

as one of them, yes. 1080 ti, 970 strix, vega and vii has shown to be able to do it as well

asus_rog_strix_750w_review01.jpg

Took long enough for someone to finally come up with GAMING Power Supplies.

/s

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Thoughts on the very cheap S12III. It's cheap, so it piques my interest. And it's Seasonic, so it's 50% to trigger @LukeSavenije ?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Thoughts on the very cheap S12III. It's cheap, so it piques my interest. And it's Seasonic, so it's 50% to trigger @LukeSavenije ?

double mag amp, so I'd say yes around 25, no if much higher priced

1 minute ago, hello_there_123 said:

@Energycore Tier C, most likely. Though it would be near the top of that tier.

it's one of those basic system PSUs that are worth it for like 25 bucks or so... not much more like the 45 it's going for rn

We're planning to overhaul the whole thing. The structure that I support is 

Tier A+

Tier A

Tier B+

Tier B

Tier C

Tier D

For the record, I proposed this back in 2017 (and made a list, which I posted), but it was written off as the STRM tier list was in dominance at that time.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

There's been a ton of internal arguing over the past few days. Please do bear with us.

We're planning to do a more beginner friendly explanation thread for the tier list. If you want to contribute, feel free to DM Luke, if he feels you're qualified he'll add you to the chat.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

10 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

Well you see, instead of regurgitating on-paper bullshit and just going "I like this one more so it goes here" you buy the equipment, get the power supplies, and actually put them through the ringer.

Testing PSUs is not as simple as testing a graphics card where you can just run 3DMark and plot some graphs. @LukeSavenije is right, it's not practical for someone to spend ten's of thousands on the equipment required to test PSUs, as well as the PSUs themselves, just to make a "Tier List" for a forum. There's currently over 100 PSU models listed in the Tier List. To test each model individually would require spending thousands of dollars on units and hundreds of hours of testing, and that's assuming people even have the knowledge to be able to test & review PSUs properly.

Are you willing to invest your life savings buying testing equipment and PSUs to test as well as quit your job to work full time as a PSU reviewer just to make a basic list for a forum - and do all of that for free? There's a reason that enthusiast made lists like these are simply aggregates of information from professional reviews.

The problem I see isn't necessarily in how the list is made, the problem is how people on the forum overvalue this list.
I find it very disappointing the way people go around posting "CheCk ThE PsU TiEr LiST!" any time someone asks about PSUs, or worse; when arguing about which PSU is better and thinking the PSU tier list is a definitive answer. Heck, I've seen people ask for help deciding between two different PSUs only to be told to "Check the PSU tier list!", when the two PSU's they've asked about are in the same damn tier!

When someone asks for help on PSUs, instead of someone saying "check the PSU tier list" when they don't have an actual answer to provide, I would actually rather someone reply with something completely stupid and wrong, like saying "You should buy the EVGA N1 700W because higher wattage is better and it will be more efficient because PSUs are most efficient at 50% load"... At least then you can have a discussion and explain why what they said is incorrect and hopefully educate them, or if they're not prepared to listen then maybe at least someone else who happens to read the discussion can learn something from it.

PSU tier lists like this should really only be helpful to someone who doesn't have an understanding of or interest in PSUs and is presented with a few options at their local Best Buy or on Newegg and they just need to quickly know whether to buy the EVGA N1 700W or the Corsair CX550. They can check the list, see that the CX550 is ranked higher, they buy that and slap it in their rig and never think about it again. That's really about it. You could probably simplify the tier list in to two categories "Buy" and "Don't buy" and it will still serve the same purpose. If you're expecting anything more from the PSU Tier List you're probably expecting too much.

10 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I'm pretty sure JonnyGuru has all or most of that and has been testing PSUs for.

JonnyGuru is currently working for Corsair's PSU division. You wouldn't expect BMW's head of engineering to review a Toyota.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

So then don't spew hot garbage when you're clearly not capable of doing a tier list correctly. Not that hard.

This just comes off as whiny and entitled.  If you have expertise to contribute, by all means add to the discussion but if you cannot do it better it seems odd that you came in here just to berate people about a tier list.  The fact that you think it's trivial to review a PSU and forum users should be required to do so without it being a full-on job just telegraphs a lack of understanding.  Who are you to criticize?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

as one of them, yes. 1080 ti, 970 strix, vega and vii has shown to be able to do it as well

im surprised the 970 can do such a thing haha. vega cards have been known to  be powerhungry. but peaking a 850 watt psu? what did they do wrong on those gpus hahaha

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

40 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

what did they do wrong on those gpus hahaha

ocp or opp too sensitive really

14 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

This just comes off as whiny and entitled.  If you have expertise to contribute, by all means add to the discussion but if you cannot do it better it seems odd that you came in here just to berate people about a tier list.  The fact that you think it's trivial to review a PSU and forum users should be required to do so without it being a full-on job just telegraphs a lack of understanding.  Who are you to criticize?

Do tell me how it makes sense to have RMi and AXi in the same group while also being ranked above T2 and P2. I am all fucking ears as to how this isn't a bonehead power play.

The fact that this is the case tells me the people who came up with this are either complete tools or godtier fanboys.

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

If you're expecting anything more from the PSU Tier List you're probably expecting too much.

This ties in fantastic to what I said above. I'm not exactly expecting retarded levels of perfection, I'm just expecting that the list doesn't have dimwitted rankings.

And the whole me bitching about buying the shit to do it yourself was quite clearly a literal answer to what luke said. Didn't think that it was hard to figure out that I don't actually expect it considering context was quite literally right in front of you but you do you I guess.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

47 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Do tell me how it makes sense to have RMi and AXi in the same group while also being ranked above T2 and P2

While the AXi is definitely a better PSU, at some point, it will completely stop making a difference to people that need the aid of the tier list. If you really care enough about the difference, then I don't see why you would even care about where they are on a tier list. 

The T2 and P2 both seem to lack OTP and multi rail OCP, while the RMi has both. If a PSU should be considered among the best of the best, don't you think it should have all the protections, as well as performing well?

Of course, asking is also an option, this is a forum. That's the best way to get the best available option, as the list does not take into account the local price of the PSU, or the noise. 

:)

1 hour ago, clinteastwood said:

Is the Thermaltake Smart series 600w 80+ gold also in D tier?  Anyone know a detailed review of it?  This one.  https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817153395?Description=Thermaltake 600w gold&cm_re=Thermaltake_600w_gold-_-17-153-395-_-Product

There are many, many sub-series of Thermaltake Smart, and dozens, dozens of very different PSUs that have the word "Smart" somewhere in the name. Some are totally budget, some are mid end, some are actually decent with very modern technology.

It is best to ignore the entry for "Thermaltake Smart" in this list, since this is just like grouping every "GeForce GTX" card in the same performance category.

This particular Thermaltake Smart uses the CWT GPS platform inside, which achieves good performance and modern technology that doesn't have problems with high end components. The same design is used in Deepcool ST, new DQ-M, Thermaltake Smart DPS G, and also Enermax Revolution X't II.

The performance is good, but the protections and noise were never tested in detail, and Thermaltake could have also skimped on the quality of the internal components.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

prove me that you're not a superflower fanboy then

Considering I don't own a single SF made unit, I'd say that's a pretty good start.

I also don't plan on ranking them above equally good units from other manufacturers just because I can, so that's a thing too.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

11 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Considering I don't own a single SF made unit, I'd say that's a pretty good start.

well, then it's just funny you start talking about sf compared to others...

12 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

also don't plan on ranking them above equally good units from other manufacturers just because I can, so that's a thing too.

ah, you're going to try and feel what hours of work feels like? not just complaining on whatever.

and for the notice, i have one mechanical keyboard, with outemu blues... guess I'm a keyboard tester now

24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, then it's just funny you start talking about sf compared to others...

Can't say I really cared about shit being SF. It's an obvious retard placement, so it was pointed out. Common sense is hard.

24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah, you're going to try and feel what hours of work feels like? not just complaining on whatever.

Was an example smartass. Again, common sense is hard. Can't say I'd want to work on this in the first place with your ego in the mix either.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I'd want to work on this in the first place with your ego in the mix either.

so calling a hardworked project with a core of good info you're too stubborn to understand for is hot garbage? because I'm 17 i can just get a ee diploma real quick, buy over some atx compatible load tester and go test 200 PSUs?

I don't think I'm the one without common sense or attitude, i just act bitchy when i think people deserve it

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

so calling a hardworked project with a core of good info you're too stubborn to understand for is hot garbage? because I'm 17 i can just get a ee diploma real quick, buy over some atx compatible load tester and go test 200 PSUs?

I don't think I'm the one without common sense or attitude, i just act bitchy when i think people deserve it

Once again, common sense is extremely hard. Quite clearly it's taking the piss out of it. Try again, get shot down again. It'd be my pleasure.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Once again, common sense is extremely hard. Quite clearly it's taking the piss out of it.

well, I'm busy with some concepts now... so i don't see why you should keep complaining

well, goodbye, i have better things to do