[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
31 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

I've been researching SFF PSUs for my mid-tower and noticed most SFF PSUs are not included in the first post in this topic

hm... could you send all the info you currently have? I'll throw it into the group

34 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

hm... could you send all the info you currently have? I'll throw it into the group

It's all in that screenshot ?

8 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

It's all in that screenshot ?

ah, I see... I'll do my own research then

but my internet is wildly limited rn, so expect it to take a while

Why is the Corsair RM750x rated lower than the RM650x? 

I put an order on the RM750x on Amazon since it was on sale (not by much, but i need a PSU now). Anything i should know about it? Any serious draw backs compared to the A+ and S tier PSUs (some of which don't even seem to be available in Europe, where i live). 

On 3/18/2019 at 2:20 AM, LienusLateTips said:

List is subject to change at any time, due to change in sources available.

Single rail units exceeding 650W will not be placed above Tier A.

17 minutes ago, Opus131 said:

Why is the Corsair RM750x rated lower than the RM650x? 

I put an order on the RM750x on Amazon since it was on sale (not by much, but i need a PSU now). Anything i should know about it? Any serious draw backs compared to the A+ and S tier PSUs (some of which don't even seem to be available in Europe, where i live). 

See reason for doing that as quoted above by LienusLateTips in the update notes he puts just above the tiers on page 1. 

In short, they consider multi-rail a benefit for high-wattage units but you don't have a major problem on your hands, enjoy your new PSU.

I see. Had no idea what single rail meant so that line was unintelligible to me (just googled it, i get it now). So basically i'm good. 750w is probably overkill for me, but it was cheaper than the 650w one. Also 30 euros cheaper than the 650 RMi, which i understand is supposed to have a better fan, but i'm not sure that's worth the price difference if the rest the components are the same (don't care about the software thingy).

3 minutes ago, Opus131 said:

Also 30 euros cheaper than the 650 RMi, which i understand is supposed to have a better fan, but i'm not sure that's worth the price difference if the rest the components are the same (don't care about the software thingy).

The fans in both the RMi and RMx are good. The main feature difference with the RMi is the Corsair Link functionality that feeds information about the PSU to your system, as well as featuring switchable multi-rail design.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Opus131 said:

I see. Had no idea what single rail meant so that line was unintelligible to me (just googled it, i get it now). So basically i'm good. 750w is probably overkill for me, but it was cheaper than the 650w one. Also 30 euros cheaper than the 650 RMi, which i understand is supposed to have a better fan, but i'm not sure that's worth the price difference if the rest the components are the same (don't care about the software thingy).

Single rails just sacrifice on protection a bit to save money. Nothing else.

I would recommend against buying one if possible, but since you already bought it.... well....

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Well, i never had a PSU burn anything that i ever remember, and i went through some cheap ones. I'm reading through this thread and it seems the argument just can't be settled: 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail-15.html

The RMi750 is 40 euros more. I wouldn't call that a "bit" of money, it's almost 50% of the price, for extra protection in case you get a faulty component that's going to fry if it asks for too much power. 

If this is so important i think you guys need to make this list into two parts, the multi rails PSUs and all the others you shouldn't buy, hahaha. 

22 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Single rails just sacrifice on protection a bit to save money. Nothing else.

I have no idea how much money is saved with a single rail vs multi rail design, but I would say customer demand for single rail units probably plays a large part. At least in the sense that most customers wouldn't be willing to pay the cost difference for a multirail PSU over an equivalent single rail PSU.

You have to remember that most people buying a PSU think the best psu to buy is a 750w 80+ gold with 63A on the 12v rail saying EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic on the label.

Also I am aware that this describes my PSU ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I now wish i didn't ask that question. I'm probably going to spend the next several years worrying whether this thing will blow up in my face. 

I now wish i didn't ask that question. I'm probably going to spend the next several years worrying whether this thing will blow up in my face. 

Don't worry, it's a really good quality unit. It'll be fine. Just enjoy it. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

18 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Monitor doesn't matter because it doesn't run off your PSU. You could run up to a 2080Ti with that PSU, but I wouldn't recommend it due to the lower-quality/performance of that model. It's down in Tier C which means it's just sort of "ok" for an average system. Personally I wouldn't run more than a 2070 super on it.

well great cause i wanted to have a 2070super :D 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Hi all. First of all, thank you for your job putting this list. I want to replace my current Seasonic 1050w Silent White for a cheaper and "weaker" PSU and I'm using this list in order to select one.

I have a question regarding Corsair TXM (Tier A). Is this the PSU with the EAN 0843591091176? 

TY

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

You have to remember that most people buying a PSU think the best psu to buy is a 750w 80+ gold with 63A on the 12v rail saying EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic on the label.

I'm sorry but most people buying psus barely know what psu does, not to mention rails, 80+, actual machine wattage requirements, etc.

The more knowledgeable people are those who want 800W Asus psus for their i5+gtx1060 setups. 

And most people don't buy components, they buy computers. Ie. Understanding multi/single rail is already pretty deep knowledge is this particular field and is definetly not a market forming factor, apart from the price point of view you mentioned. 

24 minutes ago, Spamlobster said:

I'm sorry but most people buying psus barely know what psu does, not to mention rails, 80+, actual machine wattage requirements, etc.

The more knowledgeable people are those who want 800W Asus psus for their i5+gtx1060 setups. 

And most people don't buy components, they buy computers. Ie. Understanding multi/single rail is already pretty deep knowledge is this particular field and is definetly not a market forming factor, apart from the price point of view you mentioned. 

This is true.

I guess maybe more "Most PC enthusiasts who build their own PC..." would have been a better term (since those are the people who are actually buying PSUs as individual components).

Not so much an issue these days, but 10+ years ago when we were seeing really high power graphics cards there were issues where multi-rail PSUs would trip OCP and shut down because the 12v rail couldn't handle the power going to the graphics cards, especially when used with multi GPU set ups or dual-die GPUs. On single rail PSUs that wasn't a problem as they would happily output their max rated wattage over the single rail to the graphics card. So I believe that is kind of what started the whole "You need a single rail PSU" fanfare in the PC enthusiast community, and it has largely stuck to this day. It used to actually be "Intel Spec" to have multi-rail PSUs in the mid-2000s, however that was relaxed to more of a "Intel suggestion".
The problem wasn't really that they were multi-rail PSUs, it was just that they either weren't particularly good multi-rail PSUs, or multi-rail wasn't implemented properly, or they may not have been spreading the load out across multiple rails correctly... Or just people outright buying the wrong PSU.

To add to that, many of those old multirail PSUs were in reality singles or singles split into multirail in a very stupid fashion. 

I guess high capacity multirails are to stay at this point though, at least I hope so. "Premium" features trickle down right.

16 minutes ago, Spamlobster said:

I guess high capacity multirails are to stay at this point though, at least I hope so. "Premium" features trickle down right.

There already are some affordable multi-rail PSUs. Bitfenix Whisper M is probably a good example. Starts at 450w and is reasonably priced compared to similar single rail units (Corsair RMx is probably closest comparison).

Though, as I was saying earlier there needs to be the demand from the customers for multi-rail units for the manufacturers to bother with making multi-rail units. Look at EVGA as an example, I don't think any of their current units feature multi-rail? Yet they still sell extremely well, so there's no incentive for EVGA to start making multi-rail units when their single rail units are selling.

Welcome to the forums by the way! Seems you know your stuff. :D

You'd think they'd make this a selling point. Extra security would make for a good marketing slogan. 

Extra security would make for a good marketing slogan. 

But for some reason it just doesn't have the same "charm" as slapping those big block letters on the box:

"HEY GUYZ we has them JAPANESE CAPACITORS you all crave!!!  Come and get 'um!!!"
/sarcasm  ?

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

HEY GUYZ we has them JAPANESE CAPACITORS you all crave!!!  Come and get 'um!!!

even Germany has some good caps these days

Hi everyone,

Apologies for intruding but I have a quick question.

I own an EVGA G3 650W and would a Ryzen 2600x + 16GB DDR4 @ 3600mhz tight timings + GTX 1080Ti be OK?

Any PSU experts here would likely know if a PSU not being enough causing something like this? -> 

Got my SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 550W today, best word to describe the unboxing experience is simply luxury. I'm surprised, is all. 

I've seen it mentioned a few times that this unit can be a bit noisy, but I noticed there was a "Hybrid Mode" button, which enables a fanless mode when under low load. Can anyone vouch for how effective "Hybrid Mode" is in terms of noise?

IMG_20190718_172713_Bokeh__01.jpg

7 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

anyone vouch for how effective "Hybrid Mode" is in terms of noise?

it's just turning the fan off until a certain temperature is reached on the secondary heatsink. it's called semi-passive normally