[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

Any idea about the whereabouts of @Stefan Payne ? Long time no activity, neither posts. I know it's the the place to ask, but I mostly "associate" his previous works with PSU-s. 

BTW, any news about upcoming BQ SystemPower 9 CM (semi-modular) lineup? Prices-availability. Or the SeaSonic FocusPlus revision said to be in line? hmm

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

You are aware that you're asking this question in the exact post that has the answer to that exactly on the top of page 1 right?

Corsair RMX series = Tier A+

Previous PSU Mentioned: Seasonic M12II (or III) = Tier C

Oh i saw the s12 not the m12 oops

what would yall say about these? I'm thinking about picking them up on the cheap using it on an older system with an i5 with a 1050 or 1060

Kingwin mk-650

Azza psaz-500c12

Thermaltake tr2-600nl2nc

Thermaltake pure power-480ad

Ocz ocz600sxs

Antec vp450

Cooler master rs-550-acaa-a1

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

there is no m12iii tho... you're confused with the s12 line

I did in fact get confused, but I hardly blame myself, both are old Seasonics with silly roman numerals after them (who else does this? hah) that seem at least somewhat similar in age and price-tier that don't get recommended to buy in 2019.  I do see that both are part of the whole thread that gets brought up about "Don't buy these 10 yr old PSU's anymore, they're not worth it"  Are there any big/meaningful differences between them?  What about meaningful differences between the S12II and the S12III ?

The posters in this section don't seem to agree about if the 3rd S12 is worse than the 2nd Gen: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/314911-it-seems-that-seasonics-new-s12iii-is-actually-worse-than-the-s12ii

Edited by LogicWeasel

Are there any big/meaningful differences between them? 

only on the higher wattages afaik, both the m12ii and s12ii lack uvp

What about meaningful differences between the S12II and the S12III ?

the s12iii actually is independently regulated (dual mag amp tho, so not dcdc), and it actually has uvp iirc

2 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

Kingwin mk-650

not a clue

2 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

Azza psaz-500c12

Thermaltake tr2-600nl2nc

Thermaltake pure power-480ad

Ocz ocz600sxs

Antec vp450

Cooler master rs-550-acaa-a1

horrible and mostly way too old

3 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Any idea about the whereabouts of @Stefan Payne ?

can confirm he's still alive

BTW, any news about upcoming BQ SystemPower 9 CM (semi-modular) lineup?

haven't really looked into it, same platform?

SeaSonic FocusPlus revision said to be in line? hmm

you mean the focus v2? if they fix the focus problems it could be decent at a good price

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

can confirm he's still alive

haven't really looked into it, same platform?

you mean the focus v2? if they fix the focus problems it could be decent at a good price

1. Yes, I know. Came across activity on hardwareluxx.de forum

2. I guess so. After all, it's still a budget unit, recently updated, so I guess they only modified the cabling.

3. Good to know. Still the most popular choice when someone is after reliable gold modular PSU. The warranty time is a very crucial factor for lot of people.

Thanks for the response. Will definitely keep an eye open for any news about these products.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Thanks for the response. Will definitely keep an eye open for any news about these products.

yeah... and btw, they are also busy on a digital monitored psu, kinda like the nzxt e

and I'm still waiting for Seasonic's R&D

I have an older Corsair AX860i that I bought in 2014 and I see that Corsair's AXi power supplies are rated as Tier S. Is this the case for the older models too, specifically the one I have? I am planning on buying a new computer and use my current one as a NAS/Plex server and want to know if I should keep the AX860i for the NAS and buy a better quality power supply for my main PC or if I should buy a "lower end" but still acceptable PSU for my NAS and use the AX860i in my main build.

14 minutes ago, salmo said:

Is this the case for the older models too, specifically the one I have?

yes, great unit, made by flextronics, who mostly make server psus. they're really expensive, but top tier, as shown in the list

you have it about 5 years now, and i expect it to last about 8-10 years total, so you're fine for now with it

14 minutes ago, salmo said:

I have an older Corsair AX860i that I bought in 2014 and I see that Corsair's AXi power supplies are rated as Tier S. Is this the case for the older models too, specifically the one I have? I am planning on buying a new computer and use my current one as a NAS/Plex server and want to know if I should keep the AX860i for the NAS and buy a better quality power supply for my main PC or if I should buy a "lower end" but still acceptable PSU for my NAS and use the AX860i in my main build.

It's still an excellent PSU. I wouldn't have issues with it being used in a high end rig. 

:)

Something needs to get changed quick, otherwise people will believe that the pure power 10/11/GQ/G1+ are superior to the CX when the opposite is true. 

My suggestion is move the system power 9 down to its own tier, cx up a tier to its own tier, move the pp10/11/GQ/G1+ down a tier to budget B.

@hello_there_123 

Care to expound on why the CX is a superior PSU to almost everything Be Quiet makes and the EVGA G1+ ?  That's a whole lot of change you're trying to sell the tier list.

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

@hello_there_123 

Care to expound on why the CX is a superior PSU to almost everything Be Quiet makes and the EVGA G1+ ?  That's a whole lot of change you're trying to sell the tier list.

topology

10 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Newegg has the Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W 80+ Gold (SSR-550GD2) for $89 after $20 MIR (before taxes/shipping). While it's $105 on Amazon. Is this S-tier? Seems like the most affordable unit on that tier if that's the case?

i mean... it's a decent unit

just a little on the louder side, but that's not something we really take into account

3 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Something needs to get changed quick, otherwise people will believe that the pure power 10/11/GQ/G1+ are superior to the CX when the opposite is true. 

My suggestion is move the system power 9 down to its own tier, cx up a tier to its own tier, move the pp10/11/GQ/G1+ down a tier to budget B.

we're already debating the splitting of tier a. as with all psu tier list changes it involves two months of red tape and debate, like was required of the tier s/a+ merge. the final v1.4 release hasn't even been approved on by a majority of contributors yet

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Could someone explain to me why the EVGA G2 PSUs are considered higher quality than the G3s? As far as I can tell they are both SuperFlower Leadex, and the G3 is just the newer version of the G2 with a different fan (smaller but better iirc?)

I have a 550W G2 in my home server at the moment, and I'm building a system for a friend and I can only find G3s at a reasonable price. So I wanted to ask before I spent any money as the G3 is the same price as what I paid for my G2 but if it is indeed worse than I'll look for something else, like an RM/RMx or similar PSU.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

46 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

As far as I can tell they are both SuperFlower Leadex

no, g3 is Leadex II

the g3 had out of the 5 protection tests 2 failing. one went out of atx spec on ripple, the other outright died while testing the overpower protection

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Could someone explain to me why the EVGA G2 PSUs are considered higher quality than the G3s? As far as I can tell they are both SuperFlower Leadex, and the G3 is just the newer version of the G2 with a different fan (smaller but better iirc?)

I have a 550W G2 in my home server at the moment, and I'm building a system for a friend and I can only find G3s at a reasonable price. So I wanted to ask before I spent any money as the G3 is the same price as what I paid for my G2 but if it is indeed worse than I'll look for something else, like an RM/RMx or similar PSU.

G2 never went through same tests on reviews. People here are a bit quick to draw conclusions on one model failing to praise others that have not even been tested. 

Corsair rmx series is usually priced very close to g3 and is a better buy with 10 year warranty.

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

G2 never went through same tests on reviews. People here are a bit quick to draw conclusions on one model failing to praise others that have not even been tested. 

Corsair rmx series is usually priced very close to g3 and is a better buy with 10 year warranty.

I got the 550 G2 and the SF450 after reading up on jonnyguru, both were high performers according to various sources...

I did end up buying a RM650x, so there's that problem solved :)

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

2 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I did end up buying a RM650x, so there's that problem solved :)

i won't blame you then, great cwt

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i won't blame you then, great cwt

So confused. 

Seasonic Prime Ultra 550W is "decent..." yet S tier.

Corsair RM650x is "great" yet A+ tier.

?