[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
14 minutes ago, xShimarisu said:

Why though? the seasonic one has 7 years of warranty, and others say the longer the warranty the better it is.

Should be 10 years. And you dont have choose between those two. There should be Bitfenix Formula/Whisper m, Corsair rm550x for about the same price as Seasonic Focus plus. All of those are a lot better than the mystery MWE that has not been reviewed by any major outlet. 

Elite is low tier brand for caps. Most good psu:s are made with better ones for a longer expected lifetime.

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

Should be 10 years. And you dont have choose between those two. There should be Bitfenix Formula/Whisper m, Corsair rm550x for about the same price as Seasonic Focus plus. All of those are a lot better than the mystery MWE that has not been reviewed by any major outlet. 

Elite is low tier brand for caps. Most good psu:s are made with better ones for a longer expected lifetime.

There are no Bitfenix ones available and the Corsair RM550x or RM650x is more expensive than those two. That's why im stuck with the two of them

20 minutes ago, xShimarisu said:

There are no Bitfenix ones available and the Corsair RM550x or RM650x is more expensive than those two. That's why im stuck with the two of them

Where are you buying from?

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Where are you buying from?

Im from Ph to be honest, lol things are hard to build here :((

4 hours ago, xShimarisu said:

Which is better? Cooler Master MWE Gold or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? They are same in price here and same on the Tier Level.

I'd go for the focus+ gold

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 hours ago, xShimarisu said:

Which is better? Cooler Master MWE Gold or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? They are same in price here and same on the Tier Level.

Definitely the Focus+ Gold.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd go for the focus+ gold

2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Definitely the Focus+ Gold.

6 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

I'd personally take the MWE Gold.

I'm curious how you got your answer without even knowing what he's powering

and you may or may not be aware of my frustrations against focus which could/should be fixed in the upcoming v2, but for now i wouldn't consider it

@xShimarisu what are you powering?

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm curious how you got your answer without even knowing what he's powering

and you may or may not be aware of my frustrations against focus which could/should be fixed in the upcoming v2, but for now i wouldn't consider it

@xShimarisu what are you powering?

Here is the pc that I will build soon. 
Link : 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $147.39 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65 CFM CPU Cooler $88.55 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.50 @ Walmart
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card $369.99 @ Newegg Business
Case Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Cooler Master - MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Software Microsoft - Office Professional 2016 Software  
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Fan Controller Deepcool - ROCK MASTER V3.0 Fan Controller  
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $179.99 @ B&H
Monitor ViewSonic - VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $179.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Razer - Cynosa Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard $49.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse $45.50 @ Walmart
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1608.24
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1578.24
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-17 06:31 EDT-0400  

Btw the Focus plus Gold is somewhat higher in price and just being in 550w, im deciding between those two, the cooler master mwe is 650w while the focus plus gold is only 550w. Also im doing OC so im worried about the 550w capability.

3 minutes ago, xShimarisu said:

snip

550 would be enough for it, but the focus gets loud above around 420 watts, and has had some problems recently, so i'd personally choose the mwe then

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

550 would be enough for it, but the focus gets loud above around 420 watts, and has had some problems recently, so i'd personally choose the mwe then

"has had some problems recently" like blowing up or not being functional? I also heard they provide better supports overall, should I consider that?

1 minute ago, xShimarisu said:

"has had some problems recently" like blowing up or not being functional? I also heard they provide better supports overall, should I consider that?

on some gpu's they've shown two things on different versions

pre 2019: problems with 970, 1080 ti, vega and 2080 ti because of the high peak power. the psu gets tripped on the overcurrent protection and shuts down the system

past 2019: have high ripple at the wattages it has been upped by seasonic, and can only be solved by in-cable capasitors

but i heard from someone at seasonic that a focus v2 is on the way to solve these problems.

if the psu didn't have any of these problems, i would've recommended it, but for now i'd rather pick up a MWE

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

on some gpu's they've shown two things on different versions

pre 2019: problems with 970, 1080 ti, vega and 2080 ti because of the high peak power. the psu gets tripped on the overcurrent protection and shuts down the system

past 2019: have high ripple at the wattages it has been upped by seasonic, and can only be solved by in-cable capasitors

but i heard from someone at seasonic that a focus v2 is on the way to solve these problems.

if the psu didn't have any of these problems, i would've recommended it, but for now i'd rather pick up a MWE

so they arent fixing anything, just releasing a new psu? thats weird, well anyhow thanks.

Very Much appreciated :))))

1 minute ago, xShimarisu said:

so they arent fixing anything, just releasing a new psu? thats weird, well anyhow thanks.

Very Much appreciated :))))

the only way to currently fix it is with in-cable capasitors, which make the cable very bulky. so they just release a new one (which i assume is based off the current platform)

the only focus that doesn't have these problems is the NZXT E, but that's a heavily modified focus

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the only way to currently fix it is with in-cable capasitors, which make the cable very bulky. so they just release a new one (which i assume is based off the current platform)

the only focus that doesn't have these problems is the NZXT E, but that's a heavily modified focus

I searched for the problems that happened, the GPUs that had problems are 970s and Vega 56/64.

If somehow i decided to buy the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, do you think it will also show some complications on 2060?

Just now, xShimarisu said:

I searched for the problems that happened, the GPUs that had problems are 970s and Vega 56/64.

If somehow i decided to buy the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, do you think it will also show some complications on 2060?

that was on the pre-2019 models, not the current ones

I don't expect it, but since it's not your only option I don't see why you would still go with it

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

I don't expect it, but since it's not your only option I don't see why you would still go with it

Okay thanks again.

I don't see the Corsair CS line here. Any reason why? ?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

it's EOL

iirc it's in the legacy list

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's EOL

iirc it's in the legacy list

Ok. I was just wondering since I have one of them :P 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, xShimarisu said:

It'll be fine.
The problem was indeed a particular model of the GTX970 the Asus Strix OC, and the problem only occurred in certain situations with Vega56/64.

https://knowledge.seasonic.com/article/20-focus-plus-and-gpu-potential-compatibility-issues

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Pre 2018... I know you have been corrected on this multiple times already. Even just a few days ago you were corrected by @Rexper in another thread.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Discontinued line. List only contains units that are still available for purchase.

Great Wall manufactured unit featuring DC-DC, Half-Bridge w/ LLC resonant converter. If it was in this list it would probably fit in to "Tier B" of this list alongside the CX-M and CX.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If it was in this list it would probably fit in to "Tier B" of this list alongside the CX-M and CX.

Had me worried there for a sec. Thought I had bought a trash PSU. :D 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

55 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Pre 2018... I know you have been corrected on this multiple times already.

pre 2019... the seasonic rep i spoke said most cases of the problems were in the end of 2018 and the start of 2019