[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
19 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

@jonnyGURU what are the differences between the new rm and the rmx 2018?

High efficiency at lower loads, mostly above 80% under 10% for example and other stuff...

15 hours ago, imajerec said:

does anyone knows something about the quality of the LDLC-XT-850p platinum ? LDLC is a french company,this particular model has seasonic as OEM ,this is all i could find,beside a short review in french

If you are sure its a Seasonic, its probably the same as a Seasonic with a different label.

The question is: Focus or Prime...

But do you really need 850W or why??

What about be quiet Straight Power 11? That should have the express exchange in france as well, if they didn't stop it...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

High efficiency at lower loads, around 80% under 10% for example and other stuff...

If you don't know the actual answer, why do you respond?

80% under 10% isn't hard.  The new requirement is 70% efficiency at 2% load.

Does anyone know the quality of Superflower silver ECO? (I would have consider Superflower Leadex silver, but it has been out of stock for more than a year in my country)

I could only find one review in korean regarding this psu.

http://playwares.com/pcreview/56068557#

Which tier will this PSU ranks at according to the tests and pictures?

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Tariff is just for U.S.

Outside of U.S., you should see RM for $10 less than RMx.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't that TXM territory by now? Isn't corsair playing competition with itself at this point?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Pardon my ignorance but isn't that TXM territory by now? Isn't corsair playing competition with itself at this point?

Other than being semi-modular, TX-M is still better over all build quality.  And if you're an end user that doesn't care about full modularity, the TX-M is still probably the better choice over all.   RM exists to meet new Intel ATX standards that support modern standby mode and CEC requirements that SI's that ship into California are required to meet.  

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Other than being semi-modular, TX-M is still better over all build quality.  And if you're an end user that doesn't care about full modularity, the TX-M is still probably the better choice over all.   RM exists to meet new Intel ATX standards that support modern standby mode and CEC requirements that SI's that ship into California are required to meet.  

If you care about noise output then the RM 2019 is also a better choice than TXM.

8 hours ago, TylerKoh said:

Does anyone know the quality of Superflower silver ECO? (I would have consider Superflower Leadex silver, but it has been out of stock for more than a year in my country)

I could only find one review in korean regarding this psu.

http://playwares.com/pcreview/56068557#

Which tier will this PSU ranks at according to the tests and pictures?

It is clearly better than a FSP Aurum CM from Tier B, but I wouldn't say as good as a Antec High Current Gamer M 850W from Tier C or some high-end Raidmax PSU's from Tier D. :D

5 minutes ago, -The_Mask- said:

If you care about noise output then the RM 2019 is also a better choice than TXM.

It's not like the TX-M sounds like a tornado.

31 minutes ago, -The_Mask- said:

It is clearly better than a FSP Aurum CM from Tier B, but I wouldn't said as good as a Antec High Current Gamer M 850W from Tier C or some high-end Raidmax PSU's from Tier D. :D

real the_mask? haha,shots fired. you need to make some order in the psu hierarchy 

21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you don't know the actual answer, why do you respond?

Why you mad? Its not like I was talking shit about the new RM or downplay it. Why you think I did?!

I said that because of the Dip in the Efficiency Curve in the lower part...

21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

80% under 10% isn't hard.  The new requirement is 70% efficiency at 2% load.

Still some other, similarly priced Gold units are under 80% at a good portion of the Curve.

Especially under 50W some, even modern, Units are lacking, for example:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/thermaltake_toughpower_irgb_plus/s03.php

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/seasonic_focus_gold/s03.php

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's not like the TX-M sounds like a tornado.

No, it won't be really loud, not even under full load with high intake temperature. But it also isn't a PSU you won't hear under light load in a silent PC with 30 degrees intake.

4 hours ago, imajerec said:

real the_mask? haha,shots fired. you need to make some order in the psu hierarchy 

Yeah serious. :D

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why you mad? Its not like I was talking shit about the new RM or downplay it. Why you think I did?!

Not mad.  Just perplexed.

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Still some other, similarly priced Gold units are under 80% at a good portion of the Curve.

And 5% > 2%.

The requirement is 70% efficiency @ 2% load by 2020.

Hey guys, read through most of the thread, but just wanted to get some opinions for the higher end of the spectrum. I've used SeaSonic in the last few builds I had done, but I can see there's been some issues with their lower end units in recent years.

Even though they're in the highest tier is there a better choice than going with a Prime Ultra (Platinum or Titanium?) at this current moment?

My build is primarily a production rig (9900k, 64gb ram, 2070, 3 2tb 860 evos, 2tb 970 evo and a 1tb 970 pro) and I want to make sure it's as steady as possible. No mechanical hdds and its in a fractal define so ideally quiet as well!

32 minutes ago, Shorebound said:

Hey guys, read through most of the thread, but just wanted to get some opinions for the higher end of the spectrum. I've used SeaSonic in the last few builds I had done, but I can see there's been some issues with their lower end units in recent years.

Even though they're in the highest tier is there a better choice than going with a Prime Ultra (Platinum or Titanium?) at this current moment?

My build is primarily a production rig (9900k, 64gb ram, 2070, 3 2tb 860 evos, 2tb 970 evo and a 1tb 970 pro) and I want to make sure it's as steady as possible. No mechanical hdds and its in a fractal define so ideally quiet as well!

Assuming from what you said that price is not a factor and your #1 priority is reliability for production. Than it's likely just as good if not better to get a Corsair AXi or RMi/RMx. 

But I'm not sure if other users have any bulk-data that shows what is the most reliable models of high-end PSU (by the numbers).

36 minutes ago, Shorebound said:

Depends on how important the reliability is vs everything else. Check out the FSP Twins if you need a PSU that is just not allowed to fail.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-twins-500w-redundant-psu,4864.html

https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Swappable-Redundant-Guardian-Software/dp/B01N49QANH

It is however loud and expensive.

There is also the ridiculous CM Masterwatt Maker MIJ, which should be very reliable with no corners cut. The Asus Thor is based on the Prime Ultra, but it uses a double ball bearing fan, which should be more durable than the one on the Prime.

Most high end PSUs should be fine for most use cases, though. The RMx, Straight Power 11 and Whisper M are all fine and quiet, and they are reasonably priced.

:)

5 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

Where does the EVGA 500BR fall?

It's no better than a C

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

Where does the EVGA 500BR fall?

Nobody knows.

There ain't no review or other Information about that thing.

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Nobody knows.

There ain't no review or other Information about that thing.

Well it don't look good at all with a 30C rating

Hello,

All Thermaltake iRGB Plus are on the top tier?

I mean, these ones would be on the top tier? They are Gold certified, not platinum:

https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-irgb-plus-gold-tt-premium-edition-series.html

Platinum ones:

https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-irgb-plus-platinum-tt-premium-edition-series.html

And this one:

https://www.thermaltake.com/toughpower-irgb-plus-1250w-titanium.html

I assume the one on the S tier has to be the 1250w titanium one, right? In which place would the irgb plus gold edition series be?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

15 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Look at the old List.

It looks rather old, but it seems somewhat OKish, Ripple over 60mV so not great (According to "Sources" that increases failure rates in Mining enviroments)....

Besides that, it doesn't look tooo bad...

Though its a bit older...

Here a Review:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/10/thermaltake_toughpower_1200w_gold_power_supply_review/ 

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Look at the old List.

It looks rather old, but it seems somewhat OKish, Ripple over 60mV so not great (According to "Sources" that increases failure rates in Mining enviroments)....

Besides that, it doesn't look tooo bad...

Though its a bit older...

Here a Review:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/10/thermaltake_toughpower_1200w_gold_power_supply_review/ 

I'll be using it with an overclocked Xeon X5675 and an RX 570. Do you think it'll be fine?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

I'll be using it with an overclocked Xeon X5675 and an RX 570. Do you think it'll be fine?

Yeah, more than.

Though 1200W for a 300W PC?? (OK, more like 350W, maybe)

4 hours ago, IsaacMG said:

All Thermaltake iRGB Plus are on the top tier?

no, only the actual digital ones, but they'll soon be down with the next update, because it's a single rail high wattage unit

47 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, only the actual digital ones, but they'll soon be down with the next update, because it's a single rail high wattage unit

Sorry for being such a noob but what do you mean with the actual digital ones?