[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
34 minutes ago, bintang said:

http://en.1stplayer.com/en/upload/product.php?id=92

should i even consider? my friend told me that at least its better than cheap rgb thermaltake

all i can find is that it's made by Helly (which is just the parents company) and i can't find reviews on it

i also highly doubt it's a dc-dc, that should be able to do full wattage on the 12v

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

all i can find is that it's made by Helly (which is just the parents company) and i can't find reviews on it

i also highly doubt it's a dc-dc, that should be able to do full wattage on the 12v

The product page has an internal photo.

It's looks like one of the better APFC + DF + Group regulated units.

6 hours ago, bintang said:

should i even consider? my friend told me that at least its better than cheap rgb thermaltake

Consider for what? What's your system? What is the competition? Where are you located?

7 hours ago, bintang said:

Probably not...

Not really

7 hours ago, bintang said:

my friend told me that at least its better than cheap rgb thermaltake

He's probably wrong about that Totally.

I'd rate both as equally shitty...

The only real advantage of that unit would be for someone like me if I could get it for really cheap and put something worthwile inside that has similar PCB Dimensions.

Something like I did with the Super Flower Golden King and the EVGA GS550 I got...

the EVGA GS-550 was dead, so I used the case and put the PCB of the Super Flower Golden King inside (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!11)

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 hours ago, bintang said:

http://en.1stplayer.com/en/upload/product.php?id=92

that is a shitty PSU that is everywhere here i wont even touch Gamemax and 1st player, There is no details or anything anywhere, except chinese reviewers which i cant read or hear they saying except ching chong (sorry im very racist). why i say shitty because a lot of people have problems with it even with a i3/R3 couple with 1050ti/1060 with just barely 2 year or even less.

Edited by Oalei
i need more memory of this

i wouldnt want to say something i cant back up with so here some reviews with other languages i wont say its relaible because clearly it could be a bias or something. 

https://m.facebook.com/notes/f14/review-1st-player-dk50-500w/1956630587695279/?__tn__=H-R

http://www.itocp.com/htmls/90/n-4890.html

i just cant read anything and dont understand the graphs either.

5 minutes ago, Oalei said:

i wouldnt want to say something i cant back up with so here some reviews with other languages i wont say its relaible because clearly it could be a bias or something. 

https://m.facebook.com/notes/f14/review-1st-player-dk50-500w/1956630587695279/?__tn__=H-R

http://www.itocp.com/htmls/90/n-4890.html

i just cant read anything and dont understand the graphs either.

The first review is Vietnamese, not Chinese.

Although I can't access the second link, both reviewers are respectable and unbiased.

You can use google translate if you can't read their language. Or if you were knowledgeable on the topic of PSUs you can pick out the data from the reviews without reading it.

why i say shitty because a lot of people have problems with it even with a i3/R3 couple with 1050ti/1060 with just barely 2 year or even less.

And I see a lot of people having problems with every PSU out there. Doesn't mean anything when you don't know the exact rates.

Voltage regulation is pretty poor (864mV deviation on 12V line), which is inevitable given the design. Ripple is very average, with the 5VSB out of spec at high loads.

Fan curve doesn't look very quiet.

Build quality is a con... don't buy this PSU for a long-term solution. But atleast it includes surge, inrush and over temperature protection.

does it matter whether the pci-e cables are 18 or 16 awg for a rx vega ?

12 minutes ago, DigitalONE said:

No, not really...
If you're using a modular PSU use 2 separate cables instead of a single cable with pigtail connectors. That would be the same regardless of wire gauge though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

my sapphire rx 580 nitro+ has 8+6 pin power. i tried only connecting the 8 pin connector with a single 6 pin cable (leaving the extra 2+6pin unplugged) and its work fine even when oc'ed (230 watt from furmark)

are the extra pin are just dummy or what?

1 minute ago, bintang said:

my sapphire rx 580 nitro+ has 8+6 pin power. i tried only connecting the 8 pin connector with a single 6 pin cable (leaving the extra 2+6pin unplugged) and its work fine even when oc'ed (230 watt from furmark)

stability and extra headroom for overclocking mostly

btw, stop using furmark, now

3 hours ago, DigitalONE said:

Not really, you should use 2 Cables anyway.

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

stability and extra headroom for overclocking mostly

btw, stop using furmark, now

yeah, i only use furmark for test psu and thermal of my gpu, i usually use superposition for oc'ing and stuff

33 minutes ago, bintang said:

yeah, i only use furmark for test psu and thermal of my gpu, i usually use superposition for oc'ing and stuff

the voltages are so unrealistic, and it has literally killed cards in the past... that's ehy

20 hours ago, bintang said:

Consider which thing is the dummy using logic:  

The power connector that was designed for the GPU by the team at Sapphire (do you think it's realistic they would include extra power pins to drive up the cost to make the GPU for no reason?)   ... or the individual consumer who didn't plug in the power for the GPU the way it was designed and didn't care to learn why it was designed with more than a 6-pin?

13 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Consider which thing is the dummy using logic:  

The power connector that was designed for the GPU by the team at Sapphire (do you think it's realistic they would include extra power pins to drive up the cost to make the GPU for no reason?)   ... or the individual consumer who didn't plug in the power for the GPU the way it was designed and didn't care to learn why it was designed with more than a 6-pin?

because rx 580 with single 6 pin only do exist. 

and my nitro+ overclock the same with/o the extra 2+6pin

What about the Enermax MaxTytan units? They are supposed to be better than Platimax. MaxTytan are tier A+ or tier S?

Load Wattage:446 W
Recommended PSU Wattage:496 W

I got that amount using wattage calculator. Using Seasonic M2ii 520w 80+ Bronze. That amount was including new GPU which i want to buy which is Zotac Rtx 2070 Mini (For now still using 1060 6gb gaming x MSI) is it safe not to upgrade PSU?

1 hour ago, aldysts92 said:

I got that amount using wattage calculator. Using Seasonic M2ii 520w 80+ Bronze. That amount was including new GPU which i want to buy which is Zotac Rtx 2070 Mini (For now still using 1060 6gb gaming x MSI) is it safe not to upgrade PSU?

you used the wrong site.

Check it at BeQuiet!

with 2070&3 fans& 2 rams& 2 drives and a 8700k cpu it would not even have a peak requirement of 360w. The BQ calculator OVERESTIMATES.

You'll be fine even with a 500w QUALITY unit.. But get a larger if you'd wish to overclock in the future.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, aldysts92 said:

don't

m12ii is a 10 year old design that isn't made with modern hardware in mind at all. it lacks protections, has group regulation and should've been stopped selling 5 years ago. get yourself some quality unit

and it wasn't that far off in recommendation, but I'd get 550+ watts, tier b or higher

4 hours ago, aldysts92 said:

I got that amount using wattage calculator.

outervision...

Why are people still trusting that shit?
Its grossly overestimating...

Using Seasonic M2ii 520w 80+ Bronze. That amount was including new GPU which i want to buy which is Zotac Rtx 2070 Mini (For now still using 1060 6gb gaming x MSI) is it safe not to upgrade PSU?

The M12II Bronze is a pretty shitty unit for the price, probably the worst you can get for the money as its more a low end topology with a bit of Lipstick on it. And people fall for the "Wapanese" Capacitors, that are also made in china.

But it doesn't have UVP on 12V, doesn't have OCP and neither OTP. 

And its group regulated. 

Such "features" you usually see in 30€ PSU or so. So no, its a bad PSU and you have to Upgrade because you got a dud at the time!
Everything else from named brands in the same price range is better for years - much better!

Its like comparing a Lada to normal "named Car Brands" such as Ford and look in the 15-20k Price region.

AS for the PSU:
Quality >>>>>>>>>>> Quantity

a good quality 400-450W PSU is enough for most Mid Range systems, if they are good enough.

A good quality 500-600W PSU is all you'd ever want/need for a Consumer Desktop System with the normal Consumer Socket.

14 hours ago, aldysts92 said:

Nothing really wrong with the M12ii 520W other than it's an older design and wouldn't be a good pick for modern systems. It is a good PSU, just not good enough by today's standards powering the newest equipment.

If you are planning on a RTX 2070 I would recommend something from Tier A or above and 550W is enough. I don't recommend anything below Tier A for any gaming machine period.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Just now, Ankerson said:

Nothing really wrong with the M12ii 520W other than it's an older design and wouldn't be a good pick for modern systems. It is a good PSU, just not good enough by today's standards powering the newest equipment

group regulation, no uvp or ocp and a 10 year old design

you call that okay?

yeah, maybe if it was like 20 bucks

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

group regulation, no uvp or ocp and a 10 year old design

you call that okay?

yeah, maybe if it was like 20 bucks

I used them forever in a number of systems, 620W and 650W units, they were fine and safe. Used to be one of the best you could buy about 7-8 years ago or so.

Use one today?

No.

Here is my old i5 machine as I was changing cases.

DSC_6003.JPG

DSC_6006.JPG

I has a X-650W in it currently.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

9 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Use one today?

No.

that's what i mean... I'd change it