[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

This confirms what I've been saying for a whole year, G2 > G3

palp.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

9 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

it's a bit controversial rn...

speaking about that, can anyone speak with aris?

35 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

palp.jpg

The only reason you're thinking that, and the only reason the tiers are like that is because people have taken assumptions instead of looking at the tests.

Give me one reason why the G2 is better or deserves a higher "tier" than the G3.

2 minutes ago, Rexper said:

The only reason you're thinking that, and the only reason the tiers are like that is because people have taken assumptions instead of looking at the tests.

Give me one reason why the G2 is better or deserves a higher "tier" than the G3.

because the only 3 tests in protections that have been done with the g3 (afaik) show that one unit failed miserably?

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because the only 3 tests in protections that have been done with the g3 (afaik) show that one unit failed miserably?

Firstly, there's more reviewers that test protections than Aris.

EVGA G3 650 @ Toms - 12V OCP / OPP at 143.8% (12V Out of spec), OTP implemented. No damage.

EVGA G3 850 @ Toms - OPP at 140.58%, OTP implemented high, but no failure.

EVGA G3 1000 @ Toms - OPP At 127.9%, OTP implemented. PSU died in OPP test.

EVGA G3 550 @ ComputerBase 12V OCP / OPP at 157%.OTP implemented. No recorded damage.

EVGA G3 750 @ eTeknix - OPP at at 151%. No recorded damage.

So it seems the only concern with the G3 protections comes from one sample at 1000W. How do you know this wasn't a sample defect? How do you know this isn't isolated to the 1KW model?

And here's all the tests I could find on the G2...

EVGA G2 550 @ ComputerBase - 12V OCP / OPP at 153. OTP implements though not listed in specs. No recorded damage.

The G2's OPP trip points seem equally as high as the G3s, so who's to say the 1KW version won't fail. And we have a limited sample space, which is expected from a 7 year old PSU.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, seon123 said:

We are planning to remove high wattage single rail PSUs from the highest tiers. 

Awesome

On 5/1/2019 at 10:16 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Why those?

And most of them aren't worth looking into.

EVGA doesn't have anything that's really interesting that has been reviewed. 

There might be one or two interesting units but most of them are not worth looking into.

Thermaltake has some nice/interesting units. Rule of the Thumb, for Thermaltake: if it doesn't have 80plus Gold or better, its not worth looking at. (some rare exceptions here and there though).

Corsair CX and better is OK, though not very quiet...

So below is what I gather as "not bad choices" for someone (like me) looking to get a 450-650W power supply for under $75. Cuz the master-list seems to be organized by general quality, not price.

Good budget PSU product series:

• SeaSonic (across the board)
  • XFX (TS Bronze & ProSeries Bronze)
  • EVGA (500B/600B, B3, GQ, & SuperNova G3)
  • Be Quiet! Pure Power 10/11
  • Silverstone SFX Bronze/SFX-V3 Bronze
  • Antec (EarthWatts Green/Gold Pro & EA Green)
  • Corsair CX, CXM, VS (grey or black lettering), Vengeance, & TXM Gold
  • Cooler Master MasterWatt (MW Lite, MW Bronze, MWE Bronze, MWE Gold)

Ones to steer clear of:

• Corsair VS (orange lettering)
  • Enermax NAXN (ENP-XXX-AST)
  • Cooler Master (Elite V3)
  • Antec (anything "VP")

Verification please?

• EVGA (N1, W1, & B1/BR/BT/BQ/BV)
  • Corsair GX Bronze
  • Enermax Revolution Duo
  • Silverstone Essential Series (different than Strider Essential?)

Thanks everyone for the advice given so far! 

53 minutes ago, Results45 said:

So below is what I gather as "not bad choices" for someone (like me) looking to get a 450-650W power supply for under $75.

If you need a ≥450W PSU, you're powering a ≥1070 Ti/RTX 2070 system. So you can afford a high end PSU. If you need a budget PSU, you don't need anywhere near 450W, so you should focus on just getting a good PSU instead. 

Cuz the master-list seems to be organized by general quality, not price.

It's not organised by quality, but mostly performance. Organising it by price would not make sense, as the terrible Seasonic S12 III would be the same tier as quite decent PSUs, like the CX. The prices also vary a lot by region. E.g. the Pure Power 10/11 is a good budget PSU in a lot of Europe, but it's priced like a high end PSU in some other regions. 

No. M12 II, S12 III and anything below is absolute garbage. The Focus has issues with some GPUs, and/or has too loose protections. All of their PSUs also lack multi rail. The Prime Gold and Platinum are also really loud. 

XFX (TS Bronze & ProSeries Bronze)

I haven't seen those being reasonably priced in a while. 

EVGA (500B/600B, B3, GQ, & SuperNova G3)

B1 is absolute garbage. B3 has some protection issues. GQ is okay. The G3 is high end in EVGA's product lineup, and also loud. 

Corsair CX, CXM, VS (grey or black lettering), Vengeance, & TXM Gold

Why tf would you put the VS in the same category as the others?

Cooler Master MasterWatt (MW Lite, MW Bronze, MWE Bronze, MWE Gold)

Again, why would you put them all into the same category? MW Lite is absolute garbage. The MWE is crap too below 600W. 

Verification please?

BQ is decent. The others are complete garbage/unknown. 

Corsair GX Bronze

Absolutely ancient, and shouldn't be considered, as that would mean buying used. 

Silverstone Essential Series (different than Strider Essential?)

No. 

:)

50 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Verification please?

• Corsair GX Bronze 
  • Enermax Revolution Duo

EVGA N1, W1 = Crap
The B? range = Some crap, some mediocre. Hard to remember which is which since EVGA releases a model for every letter in the alphabet. From memory the BQ which is the modular one is okay.
It's the Cooler Master GX Bronze, not Corsair... And it's almost 10 years old, so just no
Enermax = Don't know
Silverstone Essential = crap

55 minutes ago, Results45 said:

LOL! No.

56 minutes ago, Results45 said:

EVGA (500B/600B

Also no.

58 minutes ago, Results45 said:

VS (grey or black lettering),

Fine for a budget/entry system, but bit weird to have it grouped with the CX and TXM

57 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Cooler Master MasterWatt (MW Lite, MW Bronze, MWE Bronze, MWE Gold)

Not the Lite and the MWE Bronze. MWE Gold is okay I believe.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No. 

Hello, do you know any good electronics forums?

I want to build an electronic load or osciloscope for a school project

I was planning to build an SMPS but I think that is more complex and I am running out of time

1 hour ago, Results45 said:

Ones to steer clear of:

Verification please?

Thanks everyone for the advice given so far! 

Where the hell did you get that shit?!
Its total bogus.

Seasonic is only OKish at the higher end and then has Problems with real life components wich might or might not be fixed.

They are totally overrated. 

People get blinded by Capacitors and think that becaosue of Wannabe Japanese Caps are inside, the PSU is good. Its not. The newer Corsair VS beats the shit out of the Seasonic S12II-Bronze for example. Because it has working protection, the voltage regulation is not as bad...

So below is what I gather as "not bad choices" for someone (like me) looking to get a 450-650W power supply for under $75. Cuz the master-list seems to be organized by general quality, not price.

Most of the units you listed are pretty bad though and must be avoided.

We have such things like no Over Current Protecton anywhare. No Over Temperature, no Under Voltage.

And the good things under ~60€ or so can be counted on one, maybe two hands.

SeaSonic (across the board)

S12II-Bronze up to 620W

• Group regulated
  • Lacks protection (only has rather shitty UVP on 3,3V and 5V and OVP on 3,3V, 5V 12V and OPP. that's it)
  • loud under medium loads

Thats a total blinder, that people think is awesome because they believe in the brand and see "Japanese Capacitors" on the Box. Its not.

For what you get, wich is something comperable to the lowest end Thermaltake, Cooler Master and other stuff, wich is usually around 10€ cheaper or so.

Focus and Prime have meh fans.

Focus has a rather agressive fan controller and might or might not work with higher end GPUs.

Same shit as Seasonic S12II-Bronze and the other one is ancient.

B3, GQ and G3 is OKish. B3 is more on the meh side but better than other. BUT: Its rather expensive so you might want to look at other units instead.

GQ is for the price as well not that great. Old Plattform and so on.

The 500 and 600W  B-Series is similar to Corsair VS and also group regulated...

Though not a really good unit.

400W and up.

3x0W aren't that good.

400W and up are awesome for what you get though.

The SFX Bronze V3 are decent.

The other ones not so much. Rule of the thumb: No 92mm Fan, no buy for the SFX Silverstones.

Total Chaos and EA Green is old as well, lower wattage not really recommendable.

EA Gold PRO is Focus.

MW Lite is not good, MWE Bronze has a weird lineup, basically everything under 600W is not good. 450W would be OK, 550W should have been the good one.

Ones to steer clear of:

• Antec (anything "VP")

VPF is not that bad and better than Seasonic.

And the Seasonic Bronze units up to 620W should be here as well as some other units.

Verification please?

• Corsair GX Bronze
  • Enermax Revolution Duo

EVGA Linup is mostly crap and the ones that aren't aren't that amazing either, Mostly just relabeled Standard stuff.

Corsair GX never was, only a Cougar GX and a Corsair GS

Both are only obtainable used. Not recommended anyway.

Revolution duo is pretty not good. I'd stay clear of that.

Strider Essential as well. 

Rule of the Thumb:
If its not known good and doesn't come with an 80plus Gold thingy, its more likely than not a rather shitty unit. 

With 80plus Gold you still have many not good units but in general there is a higher chance to get a good unit than with Bronze.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, Results45 said:

-snip-

Is this a joke? I legitimately don't know why you would think this, considering most of the units you've listed are very low on the list and should be avoided.

SeaSonic 

• M12II/S12II is missing OCP, is group regulated, occasionally falsely advertised as having an HDB fan on the box, and is around 11 years old afaik...
  • Focus Gold/Focus Plus Gold/Focus Plus Platinum has either broken transient response on units manufactured before January 2018, and extremely high ripple when under high load on units made after 01/2018. Also, the new units have OCP set too high. 
  • PRIME Gold/Platinum is loud af
  • S12III is a group regulated unit in 2019. No.

XFX

• These are all S12II rebrands. No.

EVGA

• B1 is old. And group regulated. And just bad value in general.
  • B3 has major protections issues (missing OPP). I would only recommend this if you have a fire escape beside your computer, life insurance, health insurance, and fire insurance.
  • GQ is usually quite expensive. It's fine though, other than being a bit loud.
  • G3 has insanely high OPP and OTP settings. Again, I would only recommend this if you have a fire escape beside your computer, life insurance, health insurance, and fire insurance.

be Quiet!

• These are fine. You get a pass on these...

Silverstone

• These aren't that good + they're SFX...

Antec

• EarthWatts Green/EA Green - Old... group regulated, same platform as the old green CX...
  • EarthWatts Gold Pro - SeaSonic Focus Gold rebrand, see above.

Corsair

• CX, CXM are only fine if it's grey/black lettering
  • VS is bad value usually.
  • TXM is fine. 
  • Why did you group these all together?...

Cooler Master

• Again, why all together...
  • MWE Gold and MW Bronze are the only ones I'd consider here...

Ones to steer clear of:

• Antec (anything "VP") 

VPF is better than a ton of SeaSonics.....

Verification please?

• Corsair GX Bronze
  • Enermax Revolution Duo

All go under bad. B1 is the same as 500B/600B listed above. BT/BV/BR have exploded multiple times on r/buildapc members, BQ is ok, but not preferable at lower wattage.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

If you need a ≥450W PSU, you're powering a ≥1070 Ti/RTX 2070 system. So you can afford a high end PSU. If you need a budget PSU, you don't need anywhere near 450W, so you should focus on just getting a good PSU instead. 

Well I'm still saving-up, but $850 would allow for a something like a Ryzen 5 2400G/2600 with Vega 56 or GTX 1660ti right now (and surely the Ryzen 5 3xxx and RTX 2070 or Navi equivalent 18 months from now).

I'm thinking at least 550W or slightly over 600W in case I want to add a second graphics card in the future or add/retrofit system cooling that is more wattage-hungry.

The Corsair TXM Gold 550 is what's currently listed in my build.

My other considerations right now include these:

• Corsair CX/CXM Bronze 550
  • SeaSonic Focus Gold 550
  • Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro 550
  • XFX TS Gold 550
  • EVGA BQ Bronze 600
  • Be Quiet Pure Power 10s Silver/11s Gold 600
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 550

No. M12 II, S12 III and anything below is absolute garbage. The Focus has issues with some GPUs, and/or has too loose protections. All of their PSUs also lack multi rail. The Prime Gold and Platinum are also really loud. 

nice to know

I haven't seen those being reasonably priced in a while. 

MW Lite is absolute garbage. The MWE is crap too below 600W. 

also nice to know

B1 is absolute garbage. B3 has some protection issues. GQ is okay. The G3 is high end in EVGA's product lineup, and also loud. 

Okay........then what 550-620W PSU on that PCPartPicker list would you say has the best balance of price, quality, and quietness? 

Why would you put the VS in the same category as the others?

Because my main concerns are price and reliability/it-just-works-painlesslyness, not "go spend an extra 30 bucks cuz it's so much better."

BQ is decent. The others are complete garbage/unknown. 

noted

Absolutely ancient, and shouldn't be considered, as that would mean buying used. 

No. 

gotcha

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Fine for a budget/entry system, but bit weird to have it grouped with the CX and TXM

Again, if it's gonna be able to power my 350-550W system for 1-2 upgrade cycles (3-5 years) then I consider it.

MWE Gold is okay I believe.

K.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

They are totally overrated. 

People get blinded by Capacitors and think that because of Wannabe Japanese Caps are inside, the PSU is good. Its not. The newer Corsair VS beats the shit out of the Seasonic S12II-Bronze for example.

Well shit! Thanks for the tip!

Spoiler

Most of the units you listed are pretty bad though and must be avoided.

We have such things like no Over Current Protecton anywhare. No Over Temperature, no Under Voltage.

And the good things under ~60€ or so can be counted on one, maybe two hands.

S12II-Bronze up to 620W

• Group regulated
  • Lacks protection (only has rather shitty UVP on 3,3V and 5V and OVP on 3,3V, 5V 12V and OPP. that's it)
  • loud under medium loads

Thats a total blinder, that people think is awesome because they believe in the brand and see "Japanese Capacitors" on the Box. Its not.

For what you get, wich is something comperable to the lowest end Thermaltake, Cooler Master and other stuff, wich is usually around 10€ cheaper or so.

Focus and Prime have meh fans.

Focus has a rather agressive fan controller and might or might not work with higher end GPUs.

Total Chaos and EA Green is old as well, lower wattage not really recommendable.

EA Gold PRO is Focus.

MW Lite is not good, MWE Bronze has a weird lineup, basically everything under 600W is not good. 450W would be OK, 550W should have been the good one.

VPF is not that bad and better than Seasonic.

And the Seasonic Bronze units up to 620W should be here as well as some other units.

EVGA Linup is mostly crap and the ones that aren't aren't that amazing either, Mostly just relabeled Standard stuff.

Corsair GX never was, only a Cougar GX and a Corsair GS

Both are only obtainable used. Not recommended anyway.

Revolution duo is pretty not good. I'd stay clear of that.

Strider Essential as well. 

Rule of the Thumb:

If its not known good and doesn't come with an 80plus Gold thingy, its more likely than not a rather shitty unit. 

With 80plus Gold you still have many not good units but in general there is a higher chance to get a good unit than with Bronze.

I'm open to quality Bronze or Silver models as well, but good to know where you're coming from ;)

29 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

SeaSonic 

• M12II/S12II is missing OCP, is group regulated, occasionally falsely advertised as having an HDB fan on the box, and is around 11 years old afaik...
  • Focus Gold/Focus Plus Gold/Focus Plus Platinum has either broken transient response on units manufactured before January 2018, and extremely high ripple when under high load on units made after 01/2018. Also, the new units have OCP set too high. 
  • PRIME Gold/Platinum is loud af
  • S12III is a group regulated unit in 2019. No.

XFX

• These are all S12II rebrands. No.

EVGA

• B1 is old. And group regulated. And just bad value in general.
  • B3 has major protections issues (missing OPP). I would only recommend this if you have a fire escape beside your computer, life insurance, health insurance, and fire insurance.
  • GQ is usually quite expensive. It's fine though, other than being a bit loud.
  • G3 has insanely high OPP and OTP settings. Again, I would only recommend this if you have a fire escape beside your computer, life insurance, health insurance, and fire insurance.

be Quiet!

• These are fine. You get a pass on these...

Antec

• EarthWatts Green/EA Green - Old... group regulated, same platform as the old green CX...
  • EarthWatts Gold Pro - SeaSonic Focus Gold rebrand, see above.

Thanks for the explanations. I'll avoid those (in red).

Also love your health warnings on those EVGA lineups. ?

Silverstone

• These aren't that good + they're SFX...

But are they better than dump-grade SeaSonics (or black/grey Corsair VSs)?

Corsair

• CX, CXM are only fine if it's grey/black lettering
  • VS is bad value usually.
  • TXM is fine. 
  • Why did you group these all together?...

Cooler Master

• Again, why all together...
  • MWE Gold and MW Bronze are the only ones I'd consider here...

Because I'm considering anything viable under $75 that can last me 3+ years, not just the stuff listed as "Grade A".

VPF is better than a ton of SeaSonics.....

Like this model?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8vxfrH/antec-power-supply-bp550plus

All go under bad. B1 is the same as 500B/600B listed above. BT/BV/BR have exploded multiple times on r/buildapc members, BQ is ok, but not preferable at lower wattage.

Okay, I basically hearing a near-repeat of what Seon advised, but I'm glad that's a solid "okay" for BQ!

is thermaltake Smart Pro RGB and non pro is the same?

5 minutes ago, Results45 said:

-snip-

No to the Focus and co... they have issues powering a ton of GPUs. OCP is a important protection, too. Ripple is concerning.

Basically, I can only recommend these four in the US market @ 550W:

Cheap and good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

Above, but modular: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

Fully modular: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J7F48d/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-6501-afaag-us

Will last you for quite a while, high quality: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

A few others are nice, on sale.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, Rexper said:

EVGA G3 650 @ Toms - 12V OCP / OPP at 143.8% (12V Out of spec), OTP implemented. No damage

12v out of spec? isn't that another reason to tier it down?

EVGA G3 850 @ Toms - OPP at 140.58%, OTP implemented high, but no failure

high, but fair enough

EVGA G3 1000 @ Toms - OPP At 127.9%, OTP implemented. PSU died in OPP test

my point... we don't know how, but it did fail. which still makes 1/5

EVGA G3 550 @ ComputerBase 12V OCP / OPP at 157%.OTP implemented. No recorded damage

high, but no damage. fair enough

fair enough, but high

8 hours ago, Rexper said:

And here's all the tests I could find on the G2...

EVGA G2 550 @ ComputerBase - 12V OCP / OPP at 153. OTP implements though not listed in specs. No recorded damage

again, high. but that seems to be a choice evga has made in general

2/5 units failed or were out of spec, doesn't that sound like a reason to tier down?

I'm keeping on g2 > g3 based on this myself

2 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

No to the Focus and co

focus i agree on

but there's one focus based unit i can recommend (not valuewise tho, the unit is normally much more expensive than the focus)

nzxt e500

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

PRIME Gold/Platinum is loud af

prime too? i thought only the focus above 420 watts is loud?

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

focus i agree on

but there's one focus based unit i can recommend (not valuewise tho, the unit is normally much more expensive than the focus)

nzxt e500

they made changes that i'm not aware of?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

9 hours ago, Rexper said:

Firstly, there's more reviewers that test protections than Aris.

EVGA G3 650 @ Toms - 12V OCP / OPP at 143.8% (12V Out of spec), OTP implemented. No damage.

EVGA G3 850 @ Toms - OPP at 140.58%, OTP implemented high, but no failure.

EVGA G3 1000 @ Toms - OPP At 127.9%, OTP implemented. PSU died in OPP test.

EVGA G3 550 @ ComputerBase 12V OCP / OPP at 157%.OTP implemented. No recorded damage.

So it seems the only concern with the G3 protections comes from one sample at 1000W. 

Öhm, acording to that List there are at least 1 others that really has Problems.

Protection should latch before voltages go out of spec. If not they are set incorrectly.

Also the 150%+ OPP are worrysome.

For the 750W its 1125W...

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

prime too? i thought only the focus above 420 watts is loud?

Its not the fan RPM with Prime its fan Motor...

I have a 140mm Hong Hua fan that rotates at around 350rpm and its annoying as hell due to the tickering of the motor IC.

In theory they could fix it, if they wanted to by changing the Motor IC...

2 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

they made changes that i'm not aware of?

it has working ocp and opp unlike focus

for the whole nzxt e-series btw, not just the 500

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

12v out of spec? isn't that another reason to tier it down?

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

2/5 units failed or were out of spec, doesn't that sound like a reason to tier down?

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Öhm, acording to that List there are at least 1 others that really has Problems.

Protection should latch before voltages go out of spec. If not they are set incorrectly.

Also the 150%+ OPP are worrysome.

If this is how you're tiering you've definitely haven't kept consistent to it. Otherwise a third of the units in "S, A+ and A" would be brought down to "B" with the G3. Just to name a couple from the top of my head due to Out-of-spec voltage / ripple or dead from protection testing on one sample... Toughpower iRGB plus, Focus Gold, Antec HCG Gold, Riotoro Enigma...

45 minutes ago, Rexper said:

If this is how you're tiering you've definitely haven't kept consistent to it. Otherwise a third of the units in "S, A+ and A" would be brought down to "B" with the G3. Just to name a couple from the top of my head due to Out-of-spec voltage / ripple or dead from protection testing on one sample... Toughpower iRGB plus, Focus Gold, Antec HCG Gold, Riotoro Enigma...

it's mainly from the opp(?) issues, but we'll discuss it further with lienus