Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LienusLateTips

[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

FYI:  This really should be it's own thread.  There's a whole forum of PSU questions and you choose to throw your post in the PSU Tier List thread?

4 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Im going to get to the bottom of this tonight but I think my Corsair HX850 is shot. 

What makes you think you have a PSU issue?  What are your symptoms?

Im really disappointed (don't have my receipt maybe my Newegg invoice from 7 years ago will work) that the PSU didn't last longer. 

You're disappointed a PSU didn't last more than 7 years?  How many other PC components do you have that are more than 7 years old?

Need suggestions (looking to spend less than $150 for sure) on a PSU to power for the next 4-5 years my R7 1700 and for a shorter time, 2x R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro's (once I replace my other GPU) in crossfire.

So your old PSU should have lasted more than 7 years, but the new one only has to last four to five????

35 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

FYI:  This really should be it's own thread.  There's a whole forum of PSU questions and you choose to throw your post in the PSU Tier List thread?

What makes you think you have a PSU issue?  What are your symptoms?

You're disappointed a PSU didn't last more than 7 years?  How many other PC components do you have that are more than 7 years old?

So your old PSU should have lasted more than 7 years, but the new one only has to last four to five????

*will make another thread for all this but you deserve an answer*

PSU developed coil whine over night, getting complete system restarts (no fan spin ups just dead shut down then restart) at random when GPU takes load, or random during gaming (cant replicate, just random) - I am ruling out the GPU now have an old HD 7850 in it atm but PSU still whines, no shut downs yet (have another R9 Fury but wife is gaming atm cant test out with that draw)

EDIT - taking voltmeter to it tomorrow with electrical guy at work

Yes at this pricepoint 100% disappointed.  If you think otherwise that's odd to me.  Every PC component from that same 7 year old PC is working right now so I guess expectation is high?

Apparently that price point (which Im willing to spend) only lasts up to 7 - of course my expectation should drop...considering your line of questions, yeah?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

PSU developed coil whine over night, getting complete system restarts (no fan spin ups just dead shut down then restart) at random when GPU takes load, or random during gaming (cant replicate, just random) - I am ruling out the GPU now have an old HD 7850 in it atm but PSU still whines, no shut downs yet (have another R9 Fury but wife is gaming atm cant test out with that draw)

Reboot isn't typically a PSU issue.  Shut down is.

If it's rebooting, look at RAM as a possible source of your issue.

Coil whine is something that occurs in lots of PSUs, new and old, and can vary based on hardware used and the load.  The whine is caused by electricity flowing through magnetics (transformer, coils, etc.) at an audible frequency.  It does not point to a defective PSU.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Yes at this pricepoint 100% disappointed.  If you think otherwise that's odd to me.  Every PC component from that same 7 year old PC is working right now so I guess expectation is high?

They give the PSU a 7 year warranty because they expect it to only last 7 years.  Of all of the parts in a PC, the PSU easily works the hardest, yet is the one that is often overlooked and is left in the PC from upgrade to upgrade because there's no way to "benchmark" a PSU without very expensive equipment.

Sorry if this has been asked already but I don't really feel like reading 33 pages... Why is the evga g3 considered poorer than the G2?  My understanding was that the quality was as good or better and the only downside was potentially more fan noise.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I don't really feel like reading 33 pages... Why is the evga g3 considered poorer than the G2?  My understanding was that the quality was as good or better and the only downside was potentially more fan noise.

OPP is set a bit high so it might burn under overload and die.

OTP is set really really high

The usual sutff that really differentiates PSU these days: Protection. Protection and Protection. The electrical stuff is fine for most units.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, 123Abdallah said:

Is 620 watt psu enough for i5 9600k and rtx 2080 gaming x trio which is the gpu recommend psu is 650watt

As Jon said.

Look for a different PSU. Its not the Wattage, its the way the PSU is made/constructed that makes it not desirable for any somewhat higher end system.

In short: Its an old design, lacks protection, is loud as hell under medium loads (the 300-400W you might reach with that system)...

And you also can get far better units for the money...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I don't really feel like reading 33 pages... 

Probably a good reason for people to start new threads.

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

yeah... but for some reason people like to ask it here

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Reboot isn't typically a PSU issue.  Shut down is.

If it's rebooting, look at RAM as a possible source of your issue.

Coil whine is something that occurs in lots of PSUs, new and old, and can vary based on hardware used and the load.  The whine is caused by electricity flowing through magnetics (transformer, coils, etc.) at an audible frequency.  It does not point to a defective PSU.

They give the PSU a 7 year warranty because they expect it to only last 7 years.  Of all of the parts in a PC, the PSU easily works the hardest, yet is the one that is often overlooked and is left in the PC from upgrade to upgrade because there's no way to "benchmark" a PSU without very expensive equipment.

Windows Event Viewer shows a power failure each time its occured (not at home again right now so cant give a screen/exact nomenclature) and the way its worded (on each instance it occurs, and Wattman pops up saying there was a power issue and the GPU restarted) is indicative to me as a PSU issue, because the whine just developed last week to the point of having a quiet PC to having one I can absolutely hear as soon as load is put on the PSU.  Ill run memtest but I 100% doubt is the RAM, and have another DDR4 dual channel kit to check just in case as well.  99% of every other indication says yes, PSU can cause Restarts so not sure why you would say this wouldn't be indicative of a PSU as I am not getting anything but this restart (no BSOD, BlackSOD, shut downs, memory codes, etc - the things that point to RAM). 

I understand why you say its oft overlooked - but in my cases that isn't even the case.  Every PSU Ive owned was, at its time of purchase, was considered a tier 1 PSU when it was released.  So I expect the highest end equipment to provide me with years of enjoyment, even beyond the Warranty.  Cars still get Lemon Laws even though it passes up its Warranty provided by the Manufacturer.

I cant rule out the GPU yet, as I cannot replicate.  But I can say that the whine is still there with a 130w GPU, as soon as load is dropped on the single (instead of using both) PCIe 6+2 pin coming from the PSU.

They give the PSU a warranty of 7 years because anything short of that is a PSU failure at this pricepoint.  Since I bought this in December 2012, this is still within Warranty so - failure.  You seem to be thinking I have no leg to stand on here - which is whatever in my case I don't care that is your opinion and you can opine it - however, everything you are saying screams to me Industry Excuses.  And if buying a PSU at that pricepoint still doesn't get me through the Warranty - why would I ever go through the hassle of that brand again?  My ANTECs and EVGA (old, used to be T1 PSUs) PSUs are still kicking it with zero issues and they are older than my HX.  And I paid a lot less.

Anyhow, I didn't get time to pull the PSU last night so will run the voltmeter across the PCIe rails - Im still bettings its one of them, or could be that one of the "legs" in the PCIe connector isn't making a good connection but that doesn't explain the sudden whine developed.

If you want, we can continue on this thread - but that wouldn't seem right given the amount of "why not make your own threads" you espouse. And the reason I haven't created a thread on this, is - it doesn't have me stumped.  Its the PSU.  Theres a slight off chance its the GPU but last nights troubleshooting has removed even more of the onus on the GPU - to the PSU being the culprit.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

Meanwhile in local forum thread: Someone requires assistance to decide, which unit to choose (550w)

- Corsair RMX (2018)

- Evga G3

- SuperFlower Leadex Platina

I'd go with the corsair due to 10y warranty time, if I were him. Any reason to choose any of the other two?

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

what to pick aerocool project 7 750w, corsair rm750i , or some seasonic or something else?

Why some people tell that aerocool project 7 is bad PSU ?

23 minutes ago, keizo said:

what to pick aerocool project 7 750w, corsair rm750i , or some seasonic or something else?

some seasonic? if you're going to get one, at least get a prime. focus really isn't that good...

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

35 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Meanwhile in local forum thread: Someone requires assistance to decide, which unit to choose (550w)

at that price point... get a rmx

the difference between platinum and gold is minimal, and there's nothing wrong with it, unlike the g3

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah we don't want personal questions like which psu should I buy, troubleshooting, etc. in here, just questions about the list itself, but inevitably that will happen here or there and regardless at some point even the legitimately relevant discussion will have piled up to far too much so it's kinda unavoidable.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:22 AM, dizmo said:

I still think it's stupid to have S above A.

No, not really, actually reminds of NFS World where the classes go from E I think all the way up to S

49 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Why would you pay 200£ for a 850W PSU (ROG Thor). What does it do to deserve its price? Talking about performance not aesthetics 

nothing

because in the inside it's a slightly modified seasonic prime

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Why would you pay 200£ for a 850W PSU (ROG Thor). What does it do to deserve its price? Talking about performance not aesthetics 

There's no reason to pay £200 for that, it's only £200 because it has ROG branding on it. It's overpriced (as ROG products usually are).

It's just a slightly modified Seasonic Prime Platinum with ROG branding on it.

Группа крови - на рукаве
Мой порядковый номер - на рукаве

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Well, it performs well, and has a long hold up time. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=66&volts=1

Compared to the Prime, it also adds RGB and the power monitoring thing on the side. I wouldn't recommend it for any rig, though, as it just doesn't make sense. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It isn't any worse the G2. The list creators like to exaggerate the protection flaws in the G3, but fail to recognise the G2 has the same flaws, if not worse.

Some protection testing on EVGA G2 550

54 minutes ago, Rexper said:

It isn't any worse the G2. The list creators like to exaggerate the protection flaws in the G3, but fail to recognise the G2 has the same flaws, if not worse.

Some protection testing on EVGA G2 550

Hmm well someone must be wrong... Looks like this needs more investigation

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hmm well someone must be wrong... Looks like this needs more investigation

i mean... this should say enough imo

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g3-psu,4941-6.html

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well that seems pretty clear.  Now I guess we just need to see if they got a bad unit or they're exaggerating the issue, which should be possible to determine by seeing if others who test for this sort of thing found the same problems.  If they did, then it would seem its place in the list is deserved, and it's just a matter of seeing if the G2s also have these issues or not.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that seems pretty clear.  Now I guess we just need to see if they got a bad unit or they're exaggerating the issue, which should be possible to determine by seeing if others who test for this sort of thing found the same problems.  If they did, then it would seem its place in the list is deserved, and it's just a matter of seeing if the G2s also have these issues or not.

We're planning to bump down all PSUs that lack OTP to tier A, and same for high wattage single rail PSUs. So it probably won't matter anyway. 

Still not decided how many watts is required for "high wattage", and I also don't have too much time to bump the PSUs down, at least for the next few weeks. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users