[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
7 hours ago, Beerus said:

@LienusLateTips Leadex/evga should be S. These are definetly above some other A+ psus like the straight power 11 and  Aerocool hmm

Sorry! No.

The performance is NOT on par with something like a AXi. Leadex I is single rail and Leadex II has serious protection issue...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

i saw on your sig that you has a cx550m paired with vega 64, is it working just fine??

if yes then what's the point buying higher tier psu (other than silent) when mediocre one works just fine for a vega 64(one of the most power hungry gpu)??

7 minutes ago, bintang said:

i saw on your sig that you has a cx550m paired with vega 64, is it working just fine??

Today I used a Vega on a be quiet Pure Power 10, 400W.

A Vega 64 to be precise.

Though not on default configuration but with -23% and went down a power state or two and reduced the voltage by 50mV as well.

Was at around 400W Primary, worked splendidly.

The Only Issues I have Encounterd were:
a) Totally expected -> Bitfenix Formula 450W (single Rail for the GPU, works with two though)

b) Delta DPS 500QB, two rails for the GPU but at 20A or so. And I don't want to mod that unit either.

c) Seasonic P660...

7 minutes ago, bintang said:

if yes then what's the point buying higher tier psu (other than silent) when mediocre one works just fine for a vega 64(one of the most power hungry gpu)??

Because there are other differences between lower tier/cost PSU and higher cost/tier PSU like used fan for example or noise.

The Fans in the lower end are, if you're lucky, rifle Bearing at best. In the higher end you get real FDB here and there.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 minutes ago, bintang said:

Working just fine, even CX450M worked.

Better overclocking, longer longevity with higher end unit

Full modularity

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Hey guys. Right now Fry's has a deal on the Thermaltake toughpower grand RGB 750w 80+gold psu for only $65. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I see that it's listed here as tier B. I was wondering why it's listed so low, and if there would be a better buy at this price range. The computer I'm looking to build realistically would be fine with any 550w and above PSU. I thought the extra features and discounted price would make this a steal though. Please let me know your opinions. Thank you for your time.

13 hours ago, Beerus said:

@LienusLateTips Leadex/evga should be S. These are definetly above some other A+ psus like the straight power 11 and  Aerocool hmm

How so?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

16 minutes ago, Hamxt0rz said:

Hey guys. Right now Fry's has a deal on the Thermaltake toughpower grand RGB 750w 80+gold psu for only $65. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I see that it's listed here as tier B. I was wondering why it's listed so low, and if there would be a better buy at this price range. The computer I'm looking to build realistically would be fine with any 550w and above PSU. I thought the extra features and discounted price would make this a steal though. Please let me know your opinions. Thank you for your time.

The regulation, and transient response on the minor rails is not great. Review on Tomshardware. It's also not very quiet.

Because it lacks multi rail, it just gets more dangerous the higher wattage you get. With single rail PSUs, it's best to get the lowest acceptable wattage. Or just get a PSU that has multi rail. You'd probably be better off getting a lower wattage PSU. 

:)

i can get an hx750 used for 60$ with warranty until 2027, is it worth to get used psu like this? even brand new cx550m cost 77$ here

btw corsair hx vs rmx which one better?

1 minute ago, nifty917 said:

i can get an hx750 used for 60$ with warranty until 2027, is it worth to get used psu like this? even brand new cx550m cost 77$ here

btw corsair hx vs rmx which one better?

The warranty is not transferrable. You will get no warranty. The HX Platinum is better than the RMx, but if the options are a used HX vs a new RMx, get the RMx.

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

The warranty is not transferrable. You will get no warranty. The HX Platinum is better than the RMx, but if the options are a used HX vs a new RMx, get the RMx.

how do the distributor even know im not the 1st hand anyway??

the distributor it self said the only requirement for claiming waranty is the sticker.

1 hour ago, nifty917 said:

btw what should i check after buying used psu?

your sanity

Edit: I should try to be more helpful.
You can't properly test a used PSU, unless you have expensive testing equipment like an oscilloscope. A PSU isn't like a graphics card where you can run a benchmark and test if it's performing as it should.
Best you can maybe do is using a multimeter to check the voltages and make sure the fan is spinning properly. Even then that doesn't give you a whole lot of information.

Edited by Spotty
something something don't be a dick

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Hamxt0rz said:

That PSU is OK. A bit short on PCIE Connectors on the PSU Side and the Connectors for CPU and PCIe seem to be the same with different electrical layout.

4 hours ago, nifty917 said:

i can get an hx750 used for 60$ with warranty until 2027

The last part is a lie.

The PSU might have Warranty until 2027, you don't get that because that's only for the Original Purchaser, not the second hand buyer.

Many Companies do that though.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The last part is a lie.

The PSU might have Warranty until 2027, you don't get that because that's only for the Original Purchaser, not the second hand buyer.

Many Companies do that though.

insert we dont do that here meme

in indonesia everything is distributor warranty instead of manufacture warranty. and the distributor it self stated the only requirements is sticker not to be broken.

btw rm1000x vs hx750 which one should i get? my system only use less than 400w, so rm1000x virtually fan less

1 minute ago, bintang said:

btw rm1000x vs hx750 which one should i get? my system only use less than 400w, so rm1000x virtually fan less

Which HX750 is it? Do you have a picture of it? There's I think 5(?) different versions of the Corsair HX750 over the last 10+ years.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

hx750 platinum full modular,with grey logo and 10yr warranty

Just now, bintang said:

hx750 platinum full modular and it has grey logo (similar logo with new cxm)

In that case it's the latest HX model, and better than the RMx (HX is multi rail so preferred over the single rail 1000W RMx).

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

In that case it's the latest HX model, and better than the RMx (HX is multi rail so preferred over the single rail 1000W RMx).

i also noticed hx750 has single and multiple switch. what does it do? and which should be used?

thx

Just now, bintang said:

i also noticed hx750 has single and multiple switch. what does it do? and which should be used?

thx

Multi rail. Multi should be what it is set to as default out of the box for all Corsair PSUs that allow you to toggle the mode. Single Rail is really only preferred for extreme overclocking (LN2) where you may otherwise trip OCP on the multi-rail.

This video should do a better job explaining it.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:56 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Today I used a Vega on a be quiet Pure Power 10, 400W.

A Vega 64 to be precise.

Though not on default configuration but with -23% and went down a power state or two and reduced the voltage by 50mV as well.

Out of curiosity. Which software did you use dialling in the voltage and power target? Nice job! I always tell people, that there is no need to get hweeege PSU-s for Vega56 or Radeon RX580, just have to fine-tune the voltage&power.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Which software did you use dialling in the voltage and power target?

only what AMD Provided.

And the Wattman Panel is awesome. 

There really is no reason to use anything else.

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Nice job! I always tell people, that there is no need to get hweeege PSU-s for Vega56 or Radeon RX580, just have to fine-tune the voltage&power.

V56 might actually eventually work without modifications though can't say for certain as I don't have a V56 but a V64...

Thank you. I've only known the wattmann&AMD driver method. I guess it's the best then.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

Hey guys, I'm seeing this Inwin Commander 3 on pcpartpicker. I see the classic series on the list, but no other from this brand. Curious what I'm looking at here!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XwLypg/inwin-power-supply-commanderiii800

never heard of powerman before...