[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
36 minutes ago, shazammm said:

why is the 5 years old leadex I in tier A+ but the leadex II in tier A mid range?

i thought it was because of the issues with the g3, but I'm not entirely sure... maybe @Spotty has some time to research for me?

1 minute ago, nifty917 said:

does psu tier really matter? what worse thing could happen if i have a tier c psu?

im using an cx600 (old) on a rx 580+i5 7600k. what will happen in the long run if i didnt change to a better psu?

thx before

a cx600 really isn't great. the sleeve fan can stop working well after around 3-4 years of use, and it's iirc group regulated, so it can easily get out of spec

cx550 is currently around 50 bucks, which is a great improvement over that one

19 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

a cx600 really isn't great. the sleeve fan can stop working well after around 3-4 years of use, and it's iirc group regulated, so it can easily get out of spec

cx550 is currently around 50 bucks, which is a great improvement over that one

well, the fan failed already and i jerry rigged an free nzxt fan.

what would worse thing could happen if i didnt replace it?

i planned getting an pp1 500w from bequeit but instead i considered getting an ups since blackout happen pretty often here :v

16 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

yeah... do you have fire insurance? because you modified your psu it can literally catch fire... and it won't get covered

17 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

planned getting an pp1 500w from bequeit

pp11? good idea

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... do you have fire insurance? because you modified your psu it can literally catch fire... and it won't get covered

pp11? good idea

well i didnt really modified it, I though adding a fan wouldnt cause fire

anyway if i have to choose between an pp11 and an ups, which one should i choose?

power outage happens 2~3 time a week

4 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

ah, adding

i thought you modified it into it... that could actually cause a fire...

5 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

anyway if i have to choose between an pp11 and an ups, which one should i choose?

I'd honestly get both... or maybe a psu out there is a little cheaper and still good?

1 hour ago, nifty917 said:

Just need to you clarify this as it's very important to what LukeSavenije was trying to say: 

Did you just simply zip-tie the NZXT fan on TOP of your PSU where your fan failed? 

Or did you open up the actual power supply, remove the bad fan, and stick the NZXT fan where the internal fan was?  That's what he needs to know.

19 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Just need to you clarify this as it's very important to what LukeSavenije was trying to say: 

Did you just simply zip-tie the NZXT fan on TOP of your PSU where your fan failed? 

Or did you open up the actual power supply, remove the bad fan, and stick the NZXT fan where the internal fan was?  That's what he needs to know.

something like this

except i didnt drill it, because theres enough hole for the cable to pass through

10 hours ago, Nobaris said:

On the EVGA site. it clearly states that their G3 series is higher end than their G2 series. However, it is not the case in this tier list, with the G2 at A+ tier and G3 in the B tier. Can somebody explain?

Sometimes the websites are just marketing...

The G3 mostly just a shortened G2.

The Reason for the G3 to be down is that it dies when its overloaded.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

Why should it never have been possible to hit 127%?

Both the EVGA G2 and G3 have OPP set to 140%. Same with heaps of other PSUs from other manufacturers.

Because it died.

The Corsair RM650i for example doesn't even do 20% more.

@jonnyGURU might (or might not) confirm the rather close OPP on the lower end.

2 hours ago, nifty917 said:

does psu tier really matter? what worse thing could happen if i have a tier c psu?

It might kill your components. Sooner rather than later...

what would worse thing could happen if i didnt replace it?

Even though you replaced it, your house could still burn down because its overheating.

i planned getting an pp1 500w from bequeit but instead i considered getting an ups since blackout happen pretty often here :v

In your case, the PSU is more important as you don't have a decent, working one.

The UPS is also not a bad idea...

2 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

something like this

except i didnt drill it, because theres enough hole for the cable to pass through

urgh, why just why??
Repacing the fan isn't that easy and with a different one your safety certificate is invalid. WIch means that if something happens you are on the line...

Making those guides is irresponsible...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Yeah you don't seem to get the question.  You DID actually modify your PSU because you opened it up (voiding warranty in most cases) and changed something (the fan, the power leads to the fan, etc.) this is modification and so it was changed from the way it was designed at the factory.  If you didn't validate that it's keeping your PSU cooled to the proper spec at different loads and that the custom fan power wiring isn't electrically safely wired and insulated internally than that's where the "cause fire" part would come in.  (Also not sure but I'm thinking the fan loses something now that the PSU circuitry cannot see it and it's wired outside of the PSU itself).

If you don't know about what can go wrong if you screw that up than you probably shouldn't be trying that stuff because it does carry pretty heavy consequences.  Not to mention that you have an older PSU with a failed fan and you said you get lots of blackouts; sounds like you enjoy rolling the dice on your computer.

3 hours ago, nifty917 said:

im using an cx600 (old) on a rx 580+i5 7600k. what will happen in the long run if i didnt change to a better psu?

Well you sorta answered this yourself based on one major failure already, your fan was cheap and it died, that's one of the many reasons to not settle for a cheap power supply.

Edited by LogicWeasel

thx everyone for the answer

anyway i can get an used evga 850gq with 3 year warranty left for 65$ is it worth it?

or pp11 500w (5year warranty) for 77$

,antec ea550g (7year) for 82$

is buying an used psu worth it? does warranty for a psu really important?

8 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

anyway i can get an used evga 850gq with 3 year warranty left for 65$ is it worth it?

personally i can tell you out of the bat go for the two above ^

I would go for the PP11 myself since I like warranties but you really have to know what that used 850GQ was used for to know if it's a good buy.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

11 minutes ago, nifty917 said:

thx everyone for the answer

,antec ea550g (7year) for 82$

is buying an used psu worth it? does warranty for a psu really important?

warranty would be quite important as having it, as any psu can fail

I'd get the pp11

what about ea550g pro? which is a rebranded seasonic focus gold and has a warranty for 7 year

Just now, nifty917 said:

what about ea550g pro? which is a rebranded seasonic focus gold and has a warranty for 7 year

bigger fan of the fsp be quiet because of the recent ocp issues on focus...

evga 450 gd (5year warranty) for 65$ any thoughts?

Just now, nifty917 said:

evga 450 gd (5year warranty) for 65$ any thoughts?

decent

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

decent

compared to pp11?

is the seasonic m12ii 750 in tier b the old one or the evo?if it's the old one which tier is the m12ii 750 evo in?

14 minutes ago, DigitalONE said:

is the seasonic m12ii 750 in tier b the old one or the evo?if it's the old one which tier is the m12ii 750 evo in?

it's B, if it doesn't specify it means both are same tier

16 minutes ago, DigitalONE said:

i think the m12ii is a tier b in general? not entirely sure

the 750+ is a different platform from the normal m12ii

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i think the m12ii is a tier b in general? not entirely sure

it's tier C, 750W+ are B