Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

somewhere tier d or c

i wouldn't buy it tho

OK thanks

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

somewhere tier d or c

i wouldn't buy it tho

Wtf? Link is for an EVGA G+ 750w. Why do you think that's a tier D PSU? It's tier A in the list...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g1-plus-psu,5661.html

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

25 minutes ago, valvoa said:

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

somewhere tier d or c

i wouldn't buy it tho

??
That's the EVGA G+, wich is basically a shittier be quiet Straight Power E10 - minus Multi Rail and their own fan and a more agressive fan profile.

At 750W its meh, though not that bad as it is independantly regulated.

Here a couple of Pics from the Inside:

https://www.expreview.com/65731-2.html

Not awfully exiting but OKish...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

??
That's the EVGA G+, wich is basically a shittier be quiet Straight Power E10 - minus Multi Rail and their own fan and a more agressive fan profile.

At 750W its meh, though not that bad as it is independantly regulated.

Here a couple of Pics from the Inside:

https://www.expreview.com/65731-2.html

Not awfully exiting but OKish...

I'm probably somewhere else with my head...

been traveling for hours

Um, I changed from EVGA G2 to G3, is that worse now? What the??

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

2 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

Sidegrade.

Why did you swap PSUs? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

opp problems...

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

I didn't even realise PC Power & Cooling were still around and making new stuff.

Has been tested at Tom's Hardware and Cybernetics

DC-DC, LLC Resonant topology. Good ripple (<20ms ripple across all rails). Has OCP on 12V rail which isn't always present on single rail PSUs. Efficiency looks good (as to be expected with an 80+ Platinum unit). Fan noise is pretty good for a 1000W+ unit (under 40dBa at max load), probably in part thanks to its efficiency. 16AWG cables on EPS/PCIe. Looks like it's using 12pin for PCIe on the PSU modular interface for its 2x PCIe cables, as well as 18+10pin for the motherboard 24pin.
Single rail design on a 1000W+ PSU isn't ideal. Below average hold up time for a 1000W PSU. Lacks OTP and Tom's Hardware notes some issues with its power good signal. Single rail design isn't a huge concern, but lack of OTP and faulty power good signal are more of a concern.

As for what all that means in regards to where it should be on this list...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~ Mild Disclaimer:  I'm not actually shopping for a PSU, just interested in the topic and noticing some odd trends and wondering how-alive PC Power & Cooling is in today's market. ~

I appreciate the breakdown as I was mostly just curious if their (somewhat newer) stuff was worthy of consideration vs the Tier A (and up) PSUs.  I suppose based on what you have listed here it's fair to say there are better options at that price when buying a platinum rated 850W+ unit?  Meaning that if we had to rate this one that it'd likely end up around maybe a high tier C or low B?

Edit:  I poked around PCPartPicker and filtered by units above 850W and this unit is actually one of the cheapest for that bracket, and it's the cheapest platinum PSU for its wattage.  Probably doesn't make for an ideal purchase when you can get a Corsair HX Platinum for more money, but I do find it interesting just how fast the prices ramp-up for the more quality PSUs that are high-wattage and platinum:

PSU-Prices.PNG.ea43c44f216b04d21a28531baddc7298.PNG

(If my US prices look different from yours it's because I let PCPartPicker include 5.5% sales tax since you have to pay that on Amazon and most other e-tailers in my state, death and taxes yah know, can't escape em, may as well know the true price).

Edited by LogicWeasel

25 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I suppose based on what you have listed here it's fair to say there are better options when buying a platinum rated 850W+ unit (for hopefully that price or better)?

Yeah... What sort of system are we talking about? Does it need to be 850W?HX750 Platinum is currently $120 on Newegg & Amazon. Might also be able to get some 80+ Gold 850W units for less as well if it doesn't need to be 80+ Plat.

7 hours ago, hug0mac said:

No, it's not worse at all. It's better.

People see there's protection issues in the G3 but too naive to find the same issues, if not worse, are present with the G2.

31 minutes ago, Rexper said:

People see there's protection issues in the G3 but too naive to find the same issues, if not worse, are present with the G2.

Aris's g3 literally died in the opp testing at 127%...

2 hours ago, Rexper said:

Better??
All I see is that its shorter. Better not necessarily as its still the same circuit, modified for a shorter PCB.

And to be blunt: I don't see an advantage in that. On the contrary.

Often larger means better in PSU because you don't need to think about the space and just do what you want to.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On the EVGA site. it clearly states that their G3 series is higher end than their G2 series. However, it is not the case in this tier list, with the G2 at A+ tier and G3 in the B tier. Can somebody explain?

4 minutes ago, Nobaris said:

On the EVGA site. it clearly states that their G3 series is higher end than their G2 series. However, it is not the case in this tier list, with the G2 at A+ tier and G3 in the B tier. Can somebody explain?

As far as I know, it's mainly just marketing stuff. If you want to accurately find out how good a PSU is, read up on information and tests from a reputable, non-biased PSU reviewer rather than a brand.

1 minute ago, XR6 said:

It's mainly just marketing stuff. If you want to accurately find out a PSUs quality, I would leave it to an reputable, non-biased PSU reviewer rather than a brand.

So how or why is the G2 better? In what ways and has it been proven?

1 hour ago, Nobaris said:

So how or why is the G2 better? In what ways and has it been proven?

because it doesn't have the overpower protection issues the g3 has

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

because it doesn't have the overpower protection issues the g3 has

I see. But is it very important?

1 minute ago, Nobaris said:

I see. But is it very important?

yes

it's VERY important, because as it says: overPOWER protection

Aris (psu tester for tomshardware) killed his test unit because he could pull 127% from it, which should never have been possible, as the opp should've kicked in

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Aris (psu tester for tomshardware) killed his test unit because he could pull 127% from it, which should never have been possible, as the opp should've kicked in

That's serious. I got it now, Thanks a lot!

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Why should it never have been possible to hit 127%?

Both the EVGA G2 and G3 have OPP set to 140%. Same with heaps of other PSUs from other manufacturers.

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Why should it never have been possible to hit 127%?

Both the EVGA G2 and G3 have OPP set to 140%. Same with heaps of other PSUs from other manufacturers.

read it wrong myself...

Aris thinks it should've been the opp kicking in, it should've been the ocp, as it reaches 77,82 amps, but it was the uvp. and there were some really bad hotspots visible on it.

why is the 5 years old leadex I in tier A+ but the leadex II in tier A mid range?

:)

does psu tier really matter? what worse thing could happen if i have a tier c psu?

im using an cx600 (old) on a rx 580+i5 7600k. what will happen in the long run if i didnt change to a better psu?

thx before