• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LienusLateTips

[OLD] NEW PSU Tier List

9 minutes ago, Rexper said:

That's not true.

Yes it is.

And do you know what protection is switching the PSU off??

OCP on the 3.3V rail is missing, it drew up to 35A (it's a 350w power supply).

UVP is missing on the 3.3V rail, you see it drop to 0.2V...

However SCP was atleast half functioning.

And what is SCP? How was it implemented? What Protection does latch?

THAT is what I meant...

What you're telling me is I can't make a blanket answer regarding how beneficial multirail is, because it depends on the protections and the power supply as a whole.

No, it depends on the Wattage.

On a 500W you can probably omit it.

On a 1500W you must not.

Multi Rail = Breakers in your Box.

You usually don't need them either. You have them so that the cables in the wall don't catch fire.

And in some weird systems (*caugh* UK *caugh*) you have 32A lines/Breakers and need another one in the component.

So why do you make a blanket criteria in the tier list that all high watt single rail are below Tier A?!

What is less dangerous?

50A OCP or 150A OCP?

Especially when a shitty connection is enough to prevent "SCP" Detection...

As someone with some kind of electronics background that's pretty obvious to me. But also high current with low Voltage are even more dangerous than the same current with higher voltages because the Resistance of the Cable overall is far more with 12V than in 230VAC as we are talking about some milliohm that are needed for a short to be detected...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Due to your list, in Viet Nam the FSP Hydro PTM 650W Tier A+(cost ~101USD) and the Seasonic Focus + Gold Tier A (cost ~140USD). How is this possible or the seller set the wrong price tag? Sorry for my bad english.

5 hours ago, Dancewithyou said:

How is this possible or the seller set the wrong price tag? Sorry for my bad english.

Its not a wrong price.

But its possible tue to different import cost, importeurs and thus different margins for them.

That's why looking at the price is important.

PS: the FSP is the better one anyway!

7 minutes ago, speed258 said:

Is Seasonic Prime 650 Titanium SSR-650TR 650W still Tier S or it become tier A?

Still listed in Tier S

Tier S (Ultra High-End)

• Seasonic - PRIME/PRIME Ultra 550W/650W

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Still listed in Tier S

Does that mean Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium is worse than same model 650?

21 minutes ago, speed258 said:

Does that mean Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium is worse than same model 650?

Well, it is still great unit, just that it has a single 12V rail, which isn't recommended for high wattage PSUs.

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

1 minute ago, Quadriplegic said:

Well, it is still great unit, just that it has a single 12V rail, which isn't recommended for high wattage PSUs.

so.. for gtx 1080ti and i7-8700k if I want in future to oc 1080ti ~+500mhz and i7-8700k to 5.0ghz it would be fully enough to have 650, right?

5 minutes ago, speed258 said:

so.. for gtx 1080ti and i7-8700k if I want in future to oc 1080ti ~+500mhz and i7-8700k to 5.0ghz it would be fully enough to have 650, right?

Yup!!

Just now, Settlerteo said:

Yup!!

I'm kind surprised for such low wattage since my last cpu was amd phenom ii x4 965 which burned 2x 550 psu(without oc) and with 630w managed to be ok, and now i took intel and current build is 10x times more powerful and uses almost same psu wattage as my old one. :D

3 minutes ago, speed258 said:

I'm kind surprised for such low wattage since my last cpu was amd phenom ii x4 965 which burned 2x 550 psu(without oc) and with 630w managed to be ok, and now i took intel and current build is 10x times more powerful and uses almost same psu wattage as my old one. :D

hahaha i feel you man. I currently have a phenom ii x4 965 with a 650 watt psu from 2009. It's a hungry beast.

1 minute ago, Settlerteo said:

hahaha i feel you man. I currently have a phenom ii x4 965 with a 650 watt psu from 2009. It's a hungry beast.

mine was Amd Phenom II x965 Black Edition is same as yours?

3 minutes ago, speed258 said:

mine was Amd Phenom II x965 Black Edition is same as yours?

Yeah exactly the same. Along with 2x HD 6950. Now a gtx 1070.

Just now, Settlerteo said:

Yeah exactly the same. Along with 2x HD 6950. Now a gtx 1070.

what motherboard you using? mine is asus m4a77t first gpu was gt 430 now is gtx 960

EVGA P2 G2, Leadex gold and p at 650w and below should be at least A+. They are definitely better than pure power in about every way lol. In the first(the og one) they were in the same tier with seasonic primes...

27 minutes ago, Beerus said:

EVGA P2 G2, Leadex gold and p at 650w and below should be at least A+. They are definitely better than pure power in about every way lol. In the first(the og one) they were in the same tier with seasonic primes...

They lack OTP and multi rail OCP. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

For easy cable management and very limited cable space (zalman z3 plus case..) what would be a suitable PSU? My favourite& preferred would be BitFenix Whisper M (flat cables, reasonable price, good availability). Any better options? 400-450w, and roughly 70-80euros (whisper M is approx 75)

I guess I won't find better solution.

1 hour ago, Vejnemojnen said:

For easy cable management and very limited cable space (zalman z3 plus case..) what would be a suitable PSU? My favourite& preferred would be BitFenix Whisper M (flat cables, reasonable price, good availability). Any better options? 400-450w, and roughly 70-80euros (whisper M is approx 75)

I guess I won't find better solution.

Nope, there isn't much better.

Especially with a "Standard Layout"...

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

They lack OTP and multi rail OCP. 

They seem to be having a sort of thermal protection however.  And the features and overall build quality they have is definently not "mid range" . (for example soldering quality is on par or better with most S tier ones)  They  definently should be bumped to A+.  Everything else in this list seems pretty solid though!

18 minutes ago, Beerus said:

They seem to be having a sort of thermal protection however.  And the features and overall build quality they have is definently not "mid range" . (for example soldering quality is on par or better with most S tier ones)  They  definently should be bumped to A+.  Everything else in this list seems pretty solid though!

In tiers S and A+, we expect the PSUs to have all the protections available. The soldering quality will vary, as they are made by Super Flower, so they can outsource. 

I have brought up changing the tier descriptions/names, so that could be changed. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

how much of a difference is a tier A+ with a tier S?

I'm comparing RMX series and Prime Ultra, can't really decide. 12 years warranty seems nice but I heard seasonic has a louder fan,

I'm buying 550Watt version

Cooler Master MasterWatt 550W 80+  Bronze Semi-modular, which tier is that, and what year that released?

CPU:AMD A4-3400|Motherboard:Asus F1A55-M LE R2.0|Memory:G.Skill NS and  Kingston(combo) 4GB DDR3-1333|Storage 1:WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD|Storage 2:WD Black 1TB HDD|Case:Foxconn TS-001|Samsung DVD-RW|OS:MS W7(64-bit)

I'm looking at the list for a 750W PSU to power a build with the main power usage coming from a nitro+ vega 64, however in Canada I'm unable to find any of the 750W Tier A+ or Tier S psu's directly sold from Amazon, Newegg, or Canada Computers except for the BitFenix Formula 80 Plus Gold 750W, and BitFenix Whisper M 750W.

Should I purchase one of these, and If so, which one? Otherwise what are my next best options for buying a reliable 750W psu, hopefully within $150CAD? I can go a bit above if needed.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, euviridis said:

how much of a difference is a tier A+ with a tier S?

I'm comparing RMX series and Prime Ultra, can't really decide. 12 years warranty seems nice but I heard seasonic has a louder fan,

I'm buying 550Watt version

Yeah, I also heard that the prime has the same protection problems as the vega so unsure why it is tier s...

32 minutes ago, GamingDevilsCC said:

I'm looking at the list for a 750W PSU to power a build with the main power usage coming from a nitro+ vega 64, however in Canada I'm unable to find any of the 750W Tier A+ or Tier S psu's directly sold from Amazon, Newegg, or Canada Computers except for the BitFenix Formula 80 Plus Gold 750W, and BitFenix Whisper M 750W.

Should I purchase one of these, and If so, which one? Otherwise what are my next best options for buying a reliable 750W psu, hopefully within $150CAD? I can go a bit above if needed.

If you're using a vega 64 you only need 550W unless if you're using like a 9900K 5.0ghz in which case it might trip OCP  alot on a 550W and you can get a 650W.