[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
3 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

I always tell people, that there is no need to get hweeege PSU-s for Vega56 or Radeon RX580

Are there people who think the RX 580 uses a lot of power?  It's certainly not the voltage guzzler that the Vega 64 (or BIOS-modded Vega 56).  I presume that the RX 580 isn't the kind of GPU that gives some PSUs issues like single-rail or OCP tripping? (I used to own an RX 480 that always seemed light on power use, it's not a real high-end card I consider it more of a high mid-range GPU).

6 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Hey guys, I'm seeing this Inwin Commander 3 on pcpartpicker. I see the classic series on the list, but no other from this brand. Curious what I'm looking at here!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XwLypg/inwin-power-supply-commanderiii800

Not worth your money, it's amperage on 12v rail can be insufficient for what a card like the Vega64 or Radeon 7 requires for proper work, wattage in this matter is meaningless.

Considering this tries to look like a viable higher end product you're still better served with something like the Corsair TX750M if you need this amount of wattage for similar or sometimes even bit cheaper price point.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, LogicWeasel said:

Are there people who think the RX 580 uses a lot of power?  It's certainly not the voltage guzzler that the Vega 64 (or BIOS-modded Vega 56).  I presume that the RX 580 isn't the kind of GPU that gives some PSUs issues like single-rail or OCP tripping? (I used to own an RX 480 that always seemed light on power use, it's not a real high-end card I consider it more of a high mid-range GPU).

I can run some actuals on my Powercolor 580 8GB once I'm off work tonight. (pretty low end cooling model, so it would be a worst case look, I imagine.)

10 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Hey guys, I'm seeing this Inwin Commander 3 on pcpartpicker. I see the classic series on the list, but no other from this brand. Curious what I'm looking at here!

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5098/inwin_commander_iii_800w_80_plus_gold_power_supply_review/index.html reivew of this wasn't that hard to find.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not worth your money, it's amperage on 12v rail can be insufficient for what a card like the Vega64 or Radeon 7 requires for proper work, wattage in this matter is meaningless.

Considering this tries to look like a viable higher end product you're still better served with something like the Corsair TX750M if you need this amount of wattage for similar or sometimes even bit cheaper price point.

I just thought for a brand that I've never seen to be listed at a higher price than like... Bitfenix Gold was strange. Got curious.

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

A mate has Sapphire Pulse RX580, and, with factory voltage-power settings, it could produce bursts with more than 210w power draw. With a little tweak it consumes at most ~150w-s.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

An old thing that might or might not be discontinued or soon.

Here in Germany the 600W seems to be available but at ~110€ or so.

FOr that I can get some Platinum. And way better units at similar wattages are way cheaper.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

never heard of powerman before...

Yeah, they are rather small. I don't think about them too much either.

But some are decent, some are *ARGH*.

Like the GreenME...

Its a pretty neat plattform.

Has Quad Rail

DC-DC

pretty neat Capacitors.

And the 550W comes with one PCIe (750W has two)...

Yeah...

Are there people who think the RX 580 uses a lot of power?

Yes, seen them in a couple of threads in the GPU Part of this Forum. Just had one today...

It's certainly not the voltage guzzler that the Vega 64 (or BIOS-modded Vega 56). 

The great thing about VEGA is that it is what you make of it and want it to be.

You can do either.

Push it to 400W and compete with 1080-1080ti.

Push it to 200W and compete with lower end cards. Its up to you.

I presume that the RX 580 isn't the kind of GPU that gives some PSUs issues like single-rail or OCP tripping? 

Normally shouldn't. At least if you have a somewhat decent PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, seen them in a couple of threads in the GPU Part of this Forum. Just had one today...

Is this an old AMD stigma from the R9 290 days? I haven't actually seen this brought up much...

44 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Is this an old AMD stigma from the R9 290 days? I haven't actually seen this brought up much...

Probably, however, I've gotten a Vega 64/8700K on stock on a CX450M before...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Recently did some big upgrades on my PC. I use it for gaming, streaming and recording. Looking through the PSU's since I need to upgrade mine, and the Seasonic ones are very inexpensive compared to some of the other S tier PSU's. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. Though after looking through reviews I'm planning on grabbing the Prime 750 Gold model. Before I do though, can someone give some insight as to why they are such lower cost than the others?

44 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Recently did some big upgrades on my PC. I use it for gaming, streaming and recording. Looking through the PSU's since I need to upgrade mine, and the Seasonic ones are very inexpensive compared to some of the other S tier PSU's. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. Though after looking through reviews I'm planning on grabbing the Prime 750 Gold model. Before I do though, can someone give some insight as to why they are such lower cost than the others?

Direct from OEM, quite loud, etc

Edited by LienusLateTips
correct myself

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

28 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

The Tier List doesn't take price in to consideration.
Is it the Prime Gold 750W (SSR-750GD) or the Prime Ultra Gold 750W (SSR-750GD2)?

What are your system specs?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The Tier List doesn't take price in to consideration.
Is it the Prime Gold 750W (SSR-750GD) or the Prime Ultra Gold 750W (SSR-750GD2)?

What are your system specs?

AMD Ryzen 2700X, RTX 2080, ASRock X470 Master, G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32gigs DDR4-3200

Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply is what I'm looking at

28 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Direct from OEM

Just because Seasonic is the OEM doesn't mean they can offer it for cheaper. In fact, Seasonic raised their retail prices in the USA by $10-$20 due to the China/US trade tariff, while some other PSU brands (which use Seasonic platforms) haven't yet passed that cost along to consumers.

To demonstrate this, look at the Corsair AX1000 vs Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W - Both based on the same platform by Seasonic.
Corsair AX1000 = $240 (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nhHRsY/corsair-ax-1000-w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020152-na)
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W = $260 (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NxWfrH/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-1000tr)

28 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

quite loud (cheaper fan),

Is it? Do you know what model fan it is? Do you know how much it costs in order to say that it's a cheap fan?
I don't know what the cost of the fan is, but I do know that it's the Hong Hua HA13525M12F-Z... The exact same fan that is in the new Corsair AX1000 and the rest of the Prime Ultra Titanium units (or a variant of the same model).
The fan itself isn't the issue with the Prime Gold. It's the fan controller which dictates how fast it spins. It spins up to 2000RPM in the Prime Gold, while it runs at under 1500RPM (mostly under 1000RPM except for 90%+ load) in some of the other units that use it that are known for being silent.

20 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

AMD Ryzen 2700X, RTX 2080, ASRock X470 Master, G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32gigs DDR4-3200

Looks like a decent streaming system!
You're probably looking at around $130 for the Prime Ultra Gold? As an alternative to that, I would instead look at the Corsair HX750 which is $120, but currently comes with a $20 mail in rebate (bringing it down to $100 effectively). HX750 also comes with a selectable multi-rail/single rail mode (Seasonic Prime's are all single rail only). HX750 also runs quieter and has better efficiency (80+ Platinum). Between those two units, there's no reason why I would pick the Prime Ultra Gold instead of the HX750, especially not when the HX is cheaper.

But, for that system you don't need 750W. Under load with those parts you're looking at less than 400W consumption. Should also consider a few units like the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 550W (currently on sale for $90), or the Bitfenix Whisper M 550W ($80).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Looks like a decent streaming system!
You're probably looking at around $130 for the Prime Ultra Gold? As an alternative to that, I would instead look at the Corsair HX750 which is $120, but currently comes with a $20 mail in rebate (bringing it down to $100 effectively). HX750 also comes with a selectable multi-rail/single rail mode (Seasonic Prime's are all single rail only). HX750 also runs quieter and has better efficiency (80+ Platinum). Between those two units, there's no reason why I would pick the Prime Ultra Gold instead of the HX750, especially not when the HX is cheaper.

But, for that system you don't need 750W. Under load with those parts you're looking at less than 400W consumption. Should also consider a few units like the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 550W (currently on sale for $90), or the Bitfenix Whisper M 550W ($80).

So, I looked it up on multiple sites to check the power consumption. One site said it was just short of 500W and another said 690W. PCpartpicker is what pointed me to the 500W level. I have multiple hard drives, a wireless card, and other externals needing power as well. I'll take a look at the ones you linked.

31 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

So, I looked it up on multiple sites to check the power consumption. One site said it was just short of 500W and another said 690W. PCpartpicker is what pointed me to the 500W level. I have multiple hard drives, a wireless card, and other externals needing power as well. I'll take a look at the ones you linked.

Main things you need to look for are the CPU and GPU power consumption, they account for most of the systems power usage.
A Ryzen 2700x (stock) is around 100W peak consumption. If you overclock then maybe push 150W.
RTX2080 is around 225-250W depending on the particular card. With overclocking maybe up to 300W, but if you're air cooled you'll probably start running in to thermal limit by then anyway.

The rest of the components in the system don't consume much power.
HDDs, when active reading/writing will be about 5-10W each, depending on the particular drive (factors like 5400RPM vs 7200RPM). When spinning idle about half that, so like 2-5W each.
Wireless card would be pretty much nothing. Other stuff include motherboard (<10W), RAM (~5W), fans (maybe 2-3 watts each at max RPM).

A lot of PSU calculators tend to overestimate a fair bit. You could run TWO RTX2080s in SLI with 690W...
PCPP is basic in its calculations. It usually just runs off the TDP (for CPUs and GPUs at least)... Though I just tried putting your system in to PCPP to see why it would be recommending you 500W, as in my opinion that is way over what even PCPP should be estimating. One thing I've just noticed about PCPP is that it adds 20W per HDD, regardless of the model of HDD, even though the models of HDDs I was adding I know are only ~5W while active. So if you've got half a dozen HDDs in your PCPP list then that could inflate the wattage estimate by almost 100W.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Main things you need to look for are the CPU and GPU power consumption, they account for most of the systems power usage.
A Ryzen 2700x (stock) is around 100W peak consumption. If you overclock then maybe push 150W.
RTX2080 is around 225-250W depending on the particular card. With overclocking maybe up to 300W, but if you're air cooled you'll probably start running in to thermal limit by then anyway.

The rest of the components in the system don't consume much power.
HDDs, when active reading/writing will be about 5-10W each, depending on the particular drive (factors like 5400RPM vs 7200RPM). When spinning idle about half that, so like 2-5W each.
Wireless card would be pretty much nothing. Other stuff include motherboard (<10W), RAM (~5W), fans (maybe 2-3 watts each at max RPM).

A lot of PSU calculators tend to overestimate a fair bit. You could run TWO RTX2080s in SLI with 690W...
PCPP is basic in its calculations. It usually just runs off the TDP (for CPUs and GPUs at least)... Though I just tried putting your system in to PCPP to see why it would be recommending you 500W, as in my opinion that is way over what even PCPP should be estimating. One thing I've just noticed about PCPP is that it adds 20W per HDD, regardless of the model of HDD, even though the models of HDDs I was adding I know are only ~5W while active. So if you've got half a dozen HDDs in your PCPP list then that could inflate the wattage estimate by almost 100W.

Yeah, I've got an older HD in my system that is still good and several SSD's and an M.2. So that would explain that. Thanks for the help and the quick response! That helps a lot to narrow down which to get. Oh, I also got a Noctua NH-U12A for cooling. Just arrived today but I'm going to wait to install it till I get my new PSU. Again, thanks for the quick and informative replies!

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Is it? Do you know what model fan it is? Do you know how much it costs in order to say that it's a cheap fan?

I don't know what the cost of the fan is, but I do know that it's the Hong Hua HA13525M12F-Z... The exact same fan that is in the new Corsair AX1000 and the rest of the Prime Ultra Titanium units (or a variant of the same model).
The fan itself isn't the issue with the Prime Gold. It's the fan controller which dictates how fast it spins. It spins up to 2000RPM in the Prime Gold, while it runs at under 1500RPM (mostly under 1000RPM except for 90%+ load) in some of the other units that use it that are known for being silent.

Its a bit of both.

Its tickering that is rather annoying and caused many complaints.

I have a similar Hong Hua Fan in a Chieftec Power Smart (750W), HA1425M12S-Z, 12V/0,36A...

Fan also spins with only 350rpm, if it had a good motor (or motor IC), I'd say its a silent insider tipp...

...and is overall the better unit by a long shot...

Agreed.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, GamerTrem said:

Don't really need 750W.

If that's what you want fine, but 650W is plenty and with still enough headroom for OCing etc.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

do you have the board already btw?

Yes, I got the board towards the end of last year

1 minute ago, GamerTrem said:

Yes, I got the board towards the end of last year

okay, then I'll just warn you. it might have some problems with vrm thermal sensors...

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay, then I'll just warn you. it might have some problems with vrm thermal sensors...

What sort of issues?

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll definitely make sure to setup some alerts. Thankfully I've never seen the board get nearly that hot. Definitely good to know they didn't use the sensors to actually protect the board.