[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Curious about the G3 being in the "budget" tier- the 750w model is still $129, and it has excellent reviews from everywhere that I can see. Why the downgrade?

because you should read proper reviews?

read one from tomshardware, specifically on the 1000 watt and you'll know why it's there

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Curious about the G3 being in the "budget" tier- the 750w model is still $129, and it has excellent reviews from everywhere that I can see. Why the downgrade?

OPP and OTP being set way too high on Tom's Hardware units.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

OPP and OTP being set way too high on Tom's Hardware units.

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because you should read proper reviews?

read one from tomshardware, specifically on the 1000 watt and you'll know why it's there

Interesting, thanks.

it's time

19 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

Amazon currently has the Corsair RM850x for $99 prime shipped. Appears to be significantly cheaper than all of the other PSUs I've spot checked that share its A+ tier. However, it's white... if that aint your thing.

(Edit) Nevermind, I see this was already posted a few posts up. ?

individually sleeved cables too... pretty nice

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

individually sleeved cables too... pretty nice

Take a closer look on the cables on the 2018 version ;)

They are not the same as on the old one

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Take a closer look on the cables on the 2018 version ;)

They are not the same as on the old one

ow... my bad...

WHY? WHY JON?

How's 550W XFX Core Edition? Or 550W> Corsair VS gray in budget machines?

Just now, duckyand said:

How's 550W XFX Core Edition? Or 550W> Corsair VS gray in budget machines?

Core is in Tier C (It's in Tier B in the list above that will be changed soon), VS gray is also Tier C. If it's just a office machine, it'll be fine. If it has a GPU in it, I'd go for a better unit.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

28 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Core is in Tier C (It's in Tier B in the list above that will be changed soon), VS gray is also Tier C. If it's just a office machine, it'll be fine. If it has a GPU in it, I'd go for a better unit.

Oh, Core has been for 6 years on my machine currently running i7-3770 and RX 580. I have bought VS for an office machine, but also for my spouse's budget machine running Ryzen 3 1200 and RX 560. Am I f00kd?

20 minutes ago, duckyand said:

Oh, Core has been for 6 years on my machine currently running i7-3770 and RX 580. I have bought VS for an office machine, but also for my spouse's budget machine running Ryzen 3 1200 and RX 560. Am I f00kd?

I'd update both when the systems are upgraded. The VS is fine for a low power GPU like the 560. The Core is fine, it's just that we don't really recommend it in modern systems comparing to its newer, same price counterparts.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

pp11 500w vs EA550G pro (seasonic).

which one is better? im about to buy the pp11 but my friend told me that pp11 are just tweaked pp10 which is not worth it, is it true?

anyway after some debating with my friend (EA550G vs pp11)he ended up with this answer

"I still don't recommend using pp11. pp11 topology is still active clamp reset forward, which is only a modification of the single forward topology. efficiency has increased dramatically, but the transient response is still weaker than resonant-HB LLC, especially the resonant LLC-FB
so the two will be messed up. seasonic focus due to aggressive protection settings, FSP raider because of design

but the problems in seasonic can be overcome by the manufacturer with a little tweaking.
on fsp? can't do it. must replace the new platform"

7 hours ago, duckyand said:

How's 550W XFX Core Edition?

Shit

7 hours ago, duckyand said:

Or 550W> Corsair VS gray in budget machines?

Better

But why not go for other, higher quality units that regulate 5V independant from 12V??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

hi,my system is ryzen 7 2700x and rtx 2070

which one is the best deal?

1.corsair RM550X (106$) 10year one on one replacement

2.corsair TX550M (96$) 7 year one on one replacement

3.bitfenix whisper 550w (95$) 7 year warranty

4.MWE gold 550w (88$) 5 year warranty

5.antec EA550G (82$) 7year warranty

6.or go cheap with famous PP11 (75$) 5 year warranty 

in indonesia corsair are famous for its excellent one on one replacement, bitfenix and antec warranty are also good but not as famous. not sure with cooler master

@bintang

I'd pick either RMX or WhisperM. You might even consider StraightPower11, if it's available in your area. Though PP11 is kind of a good choice (500? 600w?) if you'd like to spend ~80USD

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

7 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

@bintang

I'd pick either RMX or WhisperM. You might even consider StraightPower11, if it's available in your area. Though PP11 is kind of a good choice (500? 600w?) if you'd like to spend ~80USD

SP11 way overbudget here.

RMX actually still a bit too expensive.

what about TXM series?

im kinda prefer corsair because of its famous one to one replacement warranty

16 minutes ago, bintang said:

SP11 way overbudget here.

RMX actually still a bit too expensive.

what about TXM series?

im kinda prefer corsair because of its famous one to one replacement warranty

what system are you using it for?

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what system are you using it for?

well, for gaming and normal stuff...

r7 2700x and rtx 2070

6 minutes ago, bintang said:

well, for gaming and normal stuff...

r7 2700x and rtx 2070

txm is louder than the rmx, and in platform similar to the cx 2017, but some parts changed for making it 80+ gold. I'd say qualitywise the txm is on the same level as the pure power 11, and the rmx to the whisper

what are the implications regarding power supplies  that have a fan set to not spin at low loads(under 15-20%) when the psu is not that hot. it is bad in anyway long term?

:)

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Shit

Better

But why not go for other, higher quality units that regulate 5V independant from 12V??

I have used Core 550W for 6 years now. The VS is on a budget computer with RX 560.

29 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

txm is louder than the rmx, and in platform similar to the cx 2017, but some parts changed for making it 80+ gold. I'd say qualitywise the txm is on the same level as the pure power 11, and the rmx to the whisper

corsair has full year replacement warranty

while bitfenix only 1 year replacement and the rest are spareparts only

thats what the seller said

1 minute ago, bintang said:

corsair has full year replacement warranty

while bitfenix only 1 year replacement and the rest are spareparts only

thats what the seller said

well, either of them suit your system

it's mostly how good you want it, all are good enough for your system