[OLD] PSU Tier List 3.0 (Legacy)

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

is the old corsair ax860 platinum still good these days?

Just now, imajerec said:

is the old ax860  platinum still good these days?

not the best, but still pretty good

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not the best, but still pretty good

in what tier would you put it?

Just now, imajerec said:

in what tier would you put it?

tier a, where it currently is

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

tier a, where it currently is

i have the option to get a used one for 50$ dollars but i'd like something more actual

Just now, imajerec said:

i have the option to get a used one for 50$ dollars but i'd like something more actual

what are you powering?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what are you powering?

nothing much now , i want to get the rx580.i know that 500w would be enough but this one seems like a good deal as well. i just wanna get rid of my fsp hexa 400 coil whine

1 minute ago, imajerec said:

nothing much now , i want to get the rx580.i know that 500w would be enough but this one seems like a good deal as well. i just wanna get rid of my fsp hexa 400 coil whine

yeah... hexa isn't that good in general. i would look around for tier b+

tho note that the cxm has some coil whining issues with 1070+ cards, the newer cx doesn't

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... hexa isn't that good in general. i would look around for tier b+

tho note that the cxm has some coil whining issues with 1070+ cards, the newer cx doesn't

yeah i saw that the hexa isn't seen good here. i'll keep that in mind thanks. currently looking for something around 50$ 450-500w. btw is there any build quality differences between psu's from same series but diffrent wattage? ppl tend to recommand higher wattage psu's 

10 minutes ago, imajerec said:

yeah i saw that the hexa isn't seen good here. i'll keep that in mind thanks. currently looking for something around 50$ 450-500w. btw is there any build quality differences between psu's from same series but diffrent wattage? ppl tend to recommand higher wattage psu's 

in some they use different platforms, but that's also noted in the list

3 hours ago, imajerec said:

is the old corsair ax860 platinum still good these days?

Its OK, if you have it.

If you don't, don't get it because the warranty in most cases isn't transferable.

As for the PSU:
Where do you live?
What's available??
be quiet Pure Power 11/400W available for a good price?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its OK, if you have it.

If you don't, don't get it because the warranty in most cases isn't transferable.

As for the PSU:
Where do you live?
What's available??
be quiet Pure Power 11/400W available for a good price?

pure power 11 is 65$ the pure power 10 400w silver is around 45$ here. (non modular version) i live in eastern europe , ideal i'd like to get a 450w psu cause i might get a rx 470 in the future

On 4/2/2019 at 10:50 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Straight Power 11 has no Problems with VEGA and other high end cards, Focus has.

Simple as that.

Yes, Seasonic had problems with 2017 manufactured Focus-models. Do you have evidence that their statement was wrong and this was not fixed by putting caps in the wires?

2 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Yes, Seasonic had problems with 2017 manufactured Focus-models. Do you have evidence that their statement was wrong and this was not fixed by putting caps in the wires?

First the OCP was set to tight and/or to fast, Seasonic didn't do real life testing, so many have been produced with this problem. Around the same time people also noticed that some combination of graphics cards and Focus PSU's won't work because of extensive ripple. Seasonic can give you special cable with capacitor as a "fix". And it seems we got another problem now because Seasonic "fixed" the light OCP. It seems the Focus serie isn't build for a higher OCP trigger point and now gives a lot of ripple before the OCP is triggered. Also according to Seasonic their double 8 pins PEG cables should be used with a graphics card with a max power consumption till 225W. Which is quite low for a 550W power supply.

~The Mask, Jonnyguru forum

8 minutes ago, imajerec said:

pure power 11 is 65$ the pure power 10 400w silver is around 45$ here. (non modular version) i live in eastern europe , ideal i'd like to get a 450w psu cause i might get a rx 470 in the future

400W Pure Power 10 is then the better idea due to the 20€ difference.

MY Ryzen 7/1700x with RX480 OC was around 250W Primary load and 350W Max IIRC. So a 400W is enough. 

How much more would be the 500W?

8 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16153-Seasonic-Focus-Plus-Gold-review-at-H-ardOCP&p=155975#post155975

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

21 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

First the OCP was set to tight and/or to fast, Seasonic didn't do real life testing, so many have been produced with this problem. Around the same time people also noticed that some combination of graphics cards and Focus PSU's won't work because of extensive ripple. Seasonic can give you special cable with capacitor as a "fix". And it seems we got another problem now because Seasonic "fixed" the light OCP. It seems the Focus serie isn't build for a higher OCP trigger point and now gives a lot of ripple before the OCP is triggered. Also according to Seasonic their double 8 pins PEG cables should be used with a graphics card with a max power consumption till 225W. Which is quite low for a 550W power supply.

~The Mask, Jonnyguru forum

That is a forum post. They already said the caps are back in the wires for everything produced in 2018 or later. I would like to see actual tests with the caps in wires and just random posts with no facts to back those claims up. Plus EVGA g2 has the same suggestion of using two pcie-cables instead of one if possible. Will you drop it down too?

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

That is a forum post.

by one of the most knowledgeable people on a PSU forum

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

they already said the caps are back in the wires for everything produced in 2018 or later.

in january, right? where they fixed the ocp so it would never kick in?

25 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

400W Pure Power 10 is then the better idea due to the 20€ difference.

MY Ryzen 7/1700x with RX480 OC was around 250W Primary load and 350W Max IIRC. So a 400W is enough. 

How much more would be the 500W?

my system should draw even less power then . i3 8100(i5 8400 in the future maybe) surprised that your system takes only 250w. i didn't find the 500w version. be quiet pure power 11 600w for 85$ but that's out of discussion. for now i consider pure power 10 400w silver (for 45$) btw is there any quality difference between this one and the pure power 10 400w CM ? beside the fact that the second is modular.  for now i just wanna get rid of the fsp hexa 400w (i see that it has a very bad reputation on this forum don't know why)

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

by one of the most knowledgeable people on a PSU forum

in january, right? where they fixed the ocp so it would never kick in?

The ocp kicked in because some gpus break the atx specs for power they are allowed to draw for a duration of ms:s. The cap filters these spikes out.

any reason why the Pure Power 10/11 =>400W is tier a(mid range) and the =<350w versions of the same psu model is in tier C? is there really such a big quality difference just because of 50w?

1 minute ago, imajerec said:

any reason why the Pure Power 10/11 =>400W is tier a(mid range) and the =<350w versions of the same psu model is in tier C? is there really such a big quality difference just because of 50w?

other FSP platform

other FSP platform

thanks , i'm pretty new to these stuffs so i'm still learning

Just now, imajerec said:

thanks , i'm pretty new to these stuffs so i'm still learning

yeah... just look around in a lot of psu topics

it really helps

yeah... just look around in a lot of psu topics

it really helps

sure, just found out that FSP is oem for be quiet