radeon rx 590 weak performance issues

DukeJukem

so i swapped my overheating gtx 980 founders out for an rx 590. i do notice a slight performance boost but i can't play @ 1080p 76 frames constant (my monitors refresh rate) without frame drops. this is with tweaking to both of my favorite games i've tested, meaning i have shadows completely off in all ways in their ini files. before the 1660 series came out the 590 was considered the "1080p" king i guess. so why cant i game at 76 frames constant with lowered settings at 1080p? i couldnt do it on my 980 either regardless of whether it would overheat or not. 

i am having weird issues with the card that i've noticed thanks to rivattuner as well. sometimes in game my gpu usage will drop to a low utilation or even 0% on occasion and i have all radeon chill stuff off but when its at 0 percent my frames dont drop either. youd figure 0 percent would mean id be getting like 1fps but nah its fine. otherwise the card is basically always hitting 100% utilization in game, which is also strange to me because i thought 1080p was more cpu bound? my cpu is around 65 percent when my gpu is hitting 100. is something wrong? i have an i5 4690k @ 4.4ghz on all 4 cores constantly and it cinebenched marvelously.

am i just expecting too much? i have new ram coming and a samsung 1 tb 860 evo coming to replace some older hardware i have but idk if it will help. is my board or psu trash?

current specs

powercolor radeon rx590 not overclocked or anything, using msi afterburner and rivatuner to monitor everything

i5 4690k running @ 4.4 ghz

8 gigs ddr3 corsair dominator ram overclocked to 2400 mhz, maybe 2133

mushkin enhanced reactor 1tb ssd

gigabyte z97 motherboard

those specs should net me 76 frames @ 1080p with shadows off right? especially if im swapping my current mushkin ssd out for a samsung 860 evo 1tb which is much better in all ways and im upgrading to slightly faster ram but double the capacity. do i simply need 16 gigs for 1080p? im just very confused. i'm not a hardware guy, im a software guy :P.

@DukeJukem
You didn't even mention the game, and 0% utilization is not correct, my first thought is that your CPU is bottlenecking the card if you're running a game at 1080P all low and you notice no difference in FPS if you ran it at high or medium.

also which Vsync setting matters, if it's Double buffered, or Triple Buffered etc.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

17 minutes ago, DukeJukem said:

especially if im swapping my current mushkin ssd out for a samsung 860 evo 1tb which is much better in all ways and im upgrading to slightly faster ram but double the capacity.

SSD has no effect on game performance

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Yeah sounds like you've got something misconfigured, try uninstalling your GPU drivers and resintalling them, I have the Sapphire 590 and at 1080p I am getting a copious amount of frames in all the games I've been playing.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

i mean when i popped my nvidia card out i ran display driver uninstaller and even ran it for amd stuff too. i also went into the group policy before installing the amd drivers and enabled the setting to prevent driver installation not described by other policy settings and disabled windows update driver installs. i disabled the group policy setting i just mentioned before i installed the amd driver  (if u dont do this the driver will error out during the install). i know i dont need to reinstall my driver, i've been reinstalling drivers the right way since the xp days. 

games im playing are apex legends and dead by daylight. im having a hardware issue somewhere and im trying to pinpoint it. an i5 4690k shouldnt bottleneck anything for 1080p gaming either. the 0 percent utilization number has to be real, because i saw it.

can i get a possible answer from someone whos first thoughts arent driver reinstalls or vsync issues. i try that stuff before i ask questions

• 3 weeks later...

Just for peace of mind, run DDU driver cleaner and reinstall the AMD drivers fresh. I never had any issues with drivers and swapping cards until the last couple generations. Even small things like removing a card from an SLI setup or adding a card to enable SLI requires a full DDU cleaning for it to work correctly.

A 4490 wont hold back that GPU much. Especially at 1080p. Those are my final thoughts because I've come across this issue a lot and DDU has fixed it a majority of the time. If you still dont want to at least try that I dont know what to say since doing a driver reinstall the correct way is something extremely basic, taking almost no time or effort.