Comparrisons and opinions

So lets say you had money to spare and set your sight on the 2060 from Nvidia

You are fond of gigabyte for some reason, which in effect narrows down your playfield considerably 

you see the 2060 lying around for 370 euro's and its big bro counterpart the auros for 480 euro's 

Both seem to spec out almost the same. The aorus offers 1 fan more and presumed better building materials increasing lifespan and performance. 

Would you spend the 110 euro's more or not and why?

No I won't spend more for the Aorus. It's overbuilt in performance, the parts are rated the same for longevity so no increased lifespan there, and 110 euros is a LOT.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

the cheaper one

because the performance difference will be small, both cards are good and therefore there's no need to overspend on something you don't need

btw, why not the windforce?

and I'll suggest the evga xc too

7 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

3 Fans on a GPU is usually a bit much

Theres a reason, that Twin Frozr from MSI was/is so popular

on a 2060 that is

on some cards it does make sense

id get the cheapest 2060, its not even a high end card so i wouldnt even care about PCB too much

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id get the cheapest 2060, its not even a high end card so i wouldnt even care about PCB too much

except for like those crappy single fan cards maybe

but apart from that agree

Its so funny to always see the cheapest getting recommended blindly

Check out the 10 or so topics below this one... you get what you pay for i guess ;)

But seriously though, esp with turing oc hardly matters since it will boost descent anyway so performance wise your good either way.

Think of it this way, the difference in prices is simply build quality, vrm quality (stability), thermal solution: long lasting paste or not, silent or loud fans, with or without hysteresis on fan stop and esthetics /backplate / rgb, sturdiness (no gpu sag) etc.

How much any of that is worth how much to you only you can decide.

Im used to being called the local village idiot with my strix version, but hey i had the money and wanted the coolest temps and quiet card possible, so it suited my needs and for me the premium was worth it but to each his own.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

PCB meaning? 

Printed circuit board; the "plate" with all of the electronic components mounted on it.

The pcb itself doesnt say much; the components can tell a story, like quality and quantity of vrms.

Its funny how people obsess over mobo vrms but with gpu often just "take the cheapest" never even considering whats underneath the heatsink...

That said, the 10 vrms on the strix (aorus as well iirc) for example is perhaps gross overkill (but at least i have a cool and quiet system). 

Same with 2 or 3 fans. 3rd fan isnt "needed" but "welcome" as low rpm 3 fans are less audible then 2 higher rpm. on high end boards likely also better fans, strix fans are industrial dust proofed so less prone to develop issues later plus the 3 fans are controlled in 2 groups so the vbios can use 1 (center), 2 (left right), or 3 (all) to cool very balanced and controlled minimizing noise.

All in all, as others said performance wise any model will do you fine. What premium is worth what to whom is a personal matter.

If you google images for "pcb" + model youll see that on cheaper cards often have (grossly overstating this) half of the vrm components "missing". Since gpu is a high current/wattage component i just have more confidence in "overkill" setup (and to me thats worth the $).

Just whatever you decide on, dont go for a luxury model just because its looks good, only for it to wind up in a vertical mount (because of the good looks) only to suffocate the fans near the sidepanel glass making the card hot and noisy despite the premium cooling solution ;)

19 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

PCB meaning? 

Thank you for your explanation @Bartholomew 

If i had the money i would buy the most expensive part for almost the same, though less illiterate, opinion. 
Gigabyte is a new adventure for me, where i used to be an asus intel msi Nvidia guy this time i'm turning out to be an amd gigabyte/be quiet person. I'm still in my saving mode but in time i guess i will be planning on spending around 500 euro's on either an rtx or a navi. first to explore the navi venue when it gets here or maybe even intel but i guess the intel gpu will come with the next build prob a couple of years from now. 

I was genuinely curious about the thoughts of others on these cards. 60 cards being there in the midrange and if you change every 2 or 3 years i understand why people would go for a cheaper solution, not to mention budget etc etc etc 

16 hours ago, Bartholomew said:

Its so funny to always see the cheapest getting recommended blindly

That will never change unfortunately and yes it is both funny and pathetic at the same time.

All we can do is try and recommend good stuff, but you can't make them buy it.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

17 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Would you spend the 110 euro's more or not and why?

Of course not, for this price difference it's already possible grab a better GPU, as in the chip, altogether.

Performance to me always come first, and even the worse 2070 will still be better than the best 2060 and so on.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Performance to me always come first, and even the worse 2070 will still be better than the best 2060 and so on.

Exactly. Choosing a very expensive, high-end brand of a mid range GPU is a contradiction. The Strix, Aorus etc. cost so much over the basic price that you'd always be better off buying a cheaper next tier GPU.

Sadly, I made that mistake some time ago when I bought a Strix 1060 and then realized that for not much more I could've had a 1070. Oh well, you live and learn ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

46 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Thank you for your explanation @Bartholomew 

If i had the money i would buy the most expensive part for almost the same, though less illiterate, opinion. 
Gigabyte is a new adventure for me, where i used to be an asus intel msi Nvidia guy this time i'm turning out to be an amd gigabyte/be quiet person. I'm still in my saving mode but in time i guess i will be planning on spending around 500 euro's on either an rtx or a navi. first to explore the navi venue when it gets here or maybe even intel but i guess the intel gpu will come with the next build prob a couple of years from now. 

I was genuinely curious about the thoughts of others on these cards. 60 cards being there in the midrange and if you change every 2 or 3 years i understand why people would go for a cheaper solution, not to mention budget etc etc etc 

You really have to watch what you are buying, really look at the specs and the reviews if there are any for the cards you are looking at.

As was implied it's best to stay away from the cheapest model and go with something in the mid range of the lineup. They are normally not that much more than the cheapest ones, but the quality is better.

Have to look at the quality of the GPU's overall so it's not really black and white.

If one shops cheapest price in the PC world they will get ripped off almost 100% of the time, that's the way it's always been.

You do get what you PAY for and that's not just for GPU's either.

Even $20 can make a massive difference in the PC world, could be the difference in a PSU that will burn down your house and one that will work great for 5 years or more as an example.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

always be better off buying a cheaper next tier GPU.

Not always, not for everyone.

A cheap 2070 here was still over 150 euro more (than the strix) here at the time, so dont make it sound like its the same price.

So, explain if i dont need the 2070 performance, and 2070 has (slighly) higher tpd (thus higher thermals thus more rpm on the fans) i would pay 150 extra for worse temp and worse noise ( for the 150 plus i would NOT have a strix cooler and vrm 2070 so it would be a big difference in temps and quality)  if silent pc is my 1st priority...

And cheap or expensive model, any extra amount for 2070 doesnt make sense at all in any variant with the slim performance gap so in this case specifically "just go for the cheapest one in the higher tier" makes for arguably nearly the worst advice.... (could be worse and that would be a 2070 strix or aorus, being a 250 premium (50%+) over 2060 for just <10% performane extra).

So that leaves choice between 2060 and 2080, which is a considerable distance apart both performance and price wise, and if not willing to spend that much like the firm price on 2080 here (and/or not willing to cope with the power consumption) there is plenty of room for 2060 variant choices; all of which, depending on ones need, can be good canidates.

5 hours ago, Ankerson said:

You really have to watch what you are buying, really look at the specs and the reviews if there are any for the cards you are looking at.

As was implied it's best to stay away from the cheapest model and go with something in the mid range of the lineup. They are normally not that much more than the cheapest ones, but the quality is better.

Have to look at the quality of the GPU's overall so it's not really black and white.

If one shops cheapest price in the PC world they will get ripped off almost 100% of the time, that's the way it's always been.

You do get what you PAY for and that's not just for GPU's either.

Even $20 can make a massive difference in the PC world, could be the difference in a PSU that will burn down your house and one that will work great for 5 years or more as an example.

Well this a bit of a grey area won't you agree? you can't go running around and stating that the big 5 deliver bad products even when they are cheap :)  
If you buy that 1080 from shinglo tech for 50 euro's online it is a whole other ballgame ofc… 

Still yea… following the same reasoning i bought a psu that delivers 700 watts and not one that delivers 550.. Gold ofcourse

and to be cheap as Dutch can be.. I also expect my equipment to be as low in power consumption as can be. This only leaves the lower part of the segment applicable. Already found the 2060 to be in the high range with 180 watts usage not to mention gpu's that ask 300/400 in a system that needs more cooling etc etc etc   

7 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Well this a bit of a grey area won't you agree? you can't go running around and stating that the big 5 deliver bad products even when they are cheap :)  
If you buy that 1080 from shinglo tech for 50 euro's online it is a whole other ballgame ofc… 

Still yea… following the same reasoning i bought a psu that delivers 700 watts and not one that delivers 550.. Gold ofcourse

and to be cheap as Dutch can be.. I also expect my equipment to be as low in power consumption as can be. This only leaves the lower part of the segment applicable. Already found the 2060 to be in the high range with 180 watts usage not to mention gpu's that ask 300/400 in a system that needs more cooling etc etc etc   

Companies don't really give away stuff for nothing, on their low end products they are cutting corners to lower the price.

The higher end products cost more money for various reasons and none of them are just charging more money just because they feel like it.

No, there really isn't a grey area when it comes to computer parts.

Some people find that out the hard way. 

Also the reason why I don't entertain the low budget builds in any way whatsoever.

I get a headache just looking at them.

4 hours ago, Ankerson said:

Companies don't really give away stuff for nothing, on their low end products they are cutting corners to lower the price.

The higher end products cost more money for various reasons and none of them are just charging more money just because they feel like it.

No, there really isn't a grey area when it comes to computer parts.

Some people find that out the hard way. 

Also the reason why I don't entertain the low budget builds in any way whatsoever.

I get a headache just looking at them.

Well i am curious to see how my current build will perform. 

It is almost the cheapest build in years. Usually i would spend around 2000/2500 euro's and currently it is "only" around 1100 euro's 
( complete be quiet casing with 4 additional be quiet fans next to the 2 integrated ones aftermarket be quiet cooler/ aorus motherboard/ r5 2600/ 2 m.2 drives/ 32 gb's of ram and a msi gamingx 1060 3 gb )

and that is why i feel we do slide into this grey zone. With the ever increasing effects of Moore's law it is also much more cost effective to buy ( which was considered high end performance a couple of years back ) products for a consumer market for very low prices and certainly when your own requirements won't follow the equipment requirement increase of certain area's of software/ you don't need vr/4k etc etc