RTX 2060 PC restarts

Hello, 2 days ago I bought Palit RTX 2060 gaming pro oc and I got a problem, after starting my pc it restarts, and every time it happens coolers starts going loud. It happens when I'm just using the internet and it happens like every 5-10 min, what is weird I could play metro Exodus yesterday for 1,5 h and it didn't happen. My dad took it and put in his computer and it didn't happen too. Is there anything I can do?

My other specs: CPU: Intel Core I5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H

RAM: 8GB

PSU: 500W OCZ

5 minutes ago, faziten said:

Change PSU; Here is a Tier List to use as guide

Aim at the best you can get. (ignore Tier S for your build).

I suspected it will be PSU, just one more question is it because it should be more power or OCZ is bad chocie?

2 minutes ago, Grajowiec said:

I suspected it will be PSU, just one more question is it because it should be more power or OCZ is bad chocie?

My prognosis is that this PSU is slowly dying. (It may still work for a smaller rig, so no need to throw out of the window).

OCZ PSUs were not the best back then. So aging should only aggaviate the subpar condition. (They were not the worst either).

OCZ ceased existence 3 years ago, so the PSU is *At least* 3 years old, that alone matches the original warranty of 3 years (which should tell you that the company was not comfortable on the PSU status beyond that).

You are absolutely fine with a branded 500W PSU from the LTT tier list linked above (Tier S is mostly for 1000W+ PSUs which are overkill for your rig, but tier A and B are fine).

Buy whatever suits you, i personaly recommend Seasonic, i've been working for many years with them and never *knock on wood* failed me nor my clients. But they are on the expensive side, there are many other brands that have more competitive pricing while being equally good.

Any other question you may have, ask right away.

Cheers!

14 hours ago, faziten said:

My prognosis is that this PSU is slowly dying. (It may still work for a smaller rig, so no need to throw out of the window).

OCZ PSUs were not the best back then. So aging should only aggaviate the subpar condition. (They were not the worst either).

OCZ ceased existence 3 years ago, so the PSU is *At least* 3 years old, that alone matches the original warranty of 3 years (which should tell you that the company was not comfortable on the PSU status beyond that).

You are absolutely fine with a branded 500W PSU from the LTT tier list linked above (Tier S is mostly for 1000W+ PSUs which are overkill for your rig, but tier A and B are fine).

Buy whatever suits you, i personaly recommend Seasonic, i've been working for many years with them and never *knock on wood* failed me nor my clients. But they are on the expensive side, there are many other brands that have more competitive pricing while being equally good.

Any other question you may have, ask right away.

Cheers!

I just don't understand why I could play Metro without restarts and why restarts doesnt happen on my previous (and now current) card (MSI GeForce GTX 960)

Might also be a driver issue. Try opening the device manager and under "system devices" (or whatever it's called on an english OS) and make an automatic search for new drivers for every device. I had some troubles where the system would just freeze and sometimes bluescreen after a few hours of idling (like when I let it sit overnight) and updating chipset and CPU drivers (for the DRAM Controller and PCIE controller to be specific) appearently fixed the issue. You could also try to disable the several c-States in the bios - those are additional power saving features which only take effect when the system is idling. Disabling the P-States might also be worth a try (means the CPU doesn't clock down anymore while idling).

Edit: Also, try to set the Windows 10 energy mode, energy...saving..plan (?) (again not sure what it's called in english) to full performance.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

3 hours ago, Grajowiec said:

I just don't understand why I could play Metro without restarts and why restarts doesnt happen on my previous (and now current) card (MSI GeForce GTX 960)

Well that's the nature of any failure. It worked before, now it doesn't anymore. Just for starters, the 2060 requires more power than the 960, not only that, but also will stress more the CPU since it can render more FPS making the CPU effectively consume more power too. See this comparison btw 960 and 2060.

image.png.af8a79df914ca7e098cd2ba818cbd23c.png

Secondly games, in general apps don't load gpus in the same way, and GPUs don't load the PSU in the same way. A spike, or transient load could possibly trigger the overcurrent protection, heat in psu (maybe it's full of dust, maybe it's intaking hot air from the inside of your PC case, maybe caps are drying out, who knows) could be shutting it down. All, in all, everything points to the clear suspect, and that would be an old, OCZ PSU, that just hit end of warranty timeframe (assuming you bought it in Q1 2016 when OCZ dissapeared).

Ask your dad to lend you his PSU to test in your rig, from the other side of internet i can only point out that the PSU is the primary suspect.

I say replace that questionable at best PSU.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

5 hours ago, faziten said:

Ask your dad to lend you his PSU to test in your rig, from the other side of internet i can only point out that the PSU is the primary suspect.

The funny part is that he has wekaer pc and his PSU is only 450W which is weird, but oh well I will try it for sure

2 hours ago, Grajowiec said:

The funny part is that he has wekaer pc and his PSU is only 450W which is weird, but oh well I will try it for sure

Remember that the main issue here is not lack of power. My suspicion is that the PSU is dying. When a PSU dies, it starts by not delivering what is originaly rated for.

Just be sure your dad's PSU is a branded psu before stressing it out. Best case scenario you are up to a PSU change. Worst case scenario you are up to a GPU change. Post your results  for future people that find this on google.

Cheers!

14 hours ago, faziten said:

Just be sure your dad's PSU is a branded psu before stressing it out.

Just before I try to switch it is Chieftec GPS-450AA-101A a good brand to stress it?

8 minutes ago, Grajowiec said:

Just before I try to switch it is Chieftec GPS-450AA-101A a good brand to stress it?

It's quite old this unit, but was made by Delta where many Antec PSUs came from. I'd say it's ok to test for few minutes since its quite old, but should hold up. Test your rig, confirm it works properly and issue the psu change. Don't attempt to game on it for hours because you may have to buy two PSU at the end of the day.

Cheers!