Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JorenBus

Random Windows 10 crashes (Kernel Power 41) while only watching Netflix

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I'm having this very weird issue with my computer. Often when I'm watching Netflix (on Microsoft Edge if that matters), my computer just completely freezes and I have to do a hard reset.

My computer just completely crashed twice in like 30 minutes.

When I look in my logs, it's always a Kernel Power 41 crash, which is supposedly a PSU problem.

However, I only have this problem while watching Netflix, and never when I'm gaming or watching YouTube videos or whatever.

I only use Microsoft Edge for watching Netflix (cuz 1080p), and Chrome for everything else.

Is it possible that Edge is causing these crashes?


CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

So I'm having this very weird issue with my computer. Often when I'm watching Netflix (on Microsoft Edge if that matters), my computer just completely freezes and I have to do a hard reset.

My computer just completely crashed twice in like 30 minutes.

When I look in my logs, it's always a Kernel Power 41 crash, which is supposedly a PSU problem.

Kernel Power with Event ID 41 just means that the system turned off unexpectedly. It could be anything. that can cause the system to crash.

Yes, it could be the PSU, it can be your system over heating and it can be faulty hardware somewhere.

 

2 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

However, I only have this problem while watching Netflix, and never when I'm gaming or watching YouTube videos or whatever.

I only use Microsoft Edge for watching Netflix (cuz 1080p), and Chrome for everything else.

You can use the Netflix app found from the Store app.

But that I am not saying to avoid the problem, potentially, by using Netflix app instead of Edge. I am just saying that, once your problem is fixed, you can use the Netflix app instead of using Edge.

 

But to explain why Edge+Netflix looks like it is the issue:

Edge is fully GPU rendered, from its interface to video playback for many of its codecs. So, it might be doing something specific that trigger the hardware to fail. Using something else just hides the problem under the rug.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Kernel Power with Event ID 41 just means that the system turned off unexpectedly. It could be anything. that can cause the system to crash.

Yes, it could be the PSU, it can be your system over heating and it can be faulty hardware somewhere.

 

You can use the Netflix app found from the Store app.

 But that I am not saying to avoid the problem, potentially, by using Netflix app instead of Edge. I am just saying that, once your problem is fixed, you can use the Netflix app instead of using Edge.

  

But to explain why Edge+Netflix looks like it is the issue:

Edge is fully GPU rendered, from its interface to video playback for many of its codecs. So, it might be doing something specific that trigger the hardware to fail. Using something else just hides the problem under the rug.

 

Alright I'll try the Netflix app and see if this fixes my problem.

Well I doubt that it would be my hardware, since I have a very reliable PSU (Seasonic), a very recent RX 580 and a decent CPU + cooling.

My GPU sits at around 38° idle, and CPU at 30° idle.


CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×