new to nas

I want to make a nas that I can run off of maybe like a raspberry pi or something and be able to access it anywhere, how would I be able to go about doing that?

1. get a pi

2. get a hdd or usb stick

3. set ports open so you can share it

done

all can be found via guides

A raspberry pi could work, but it really depends on how much storage space you need and what network speeds youre expecting.

1 hour ago, HALFxAxHEART said:

I want to make a nas that I can run off of maybe like a raspberry pi or something and be able to access it anywhere, how would I be able to go about doing that?

if you just want to share a couple of files between users or just place all documents in one place pi will work ( and operative system openmediavault is great for pi )  be mindful of power draw so big external drives will require additional power than usb ports can provide. and you only can expect 10mb/s speed only at best. Because of limitation raspberry pi nic 

Its better save your money and buy some used computer maybe dell oem and install nas operative system. and you will get much better speed and functions. 

If you need a Pi, use a guide like this: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nextcloud-server/

14 hours ago, Zygizz said:

ts better save your money and buy some used computer maybe dell oem and install nas operative system. and you will get much better speed and functions. 

This is something I totally recommend. Depending on what you need, you can find a cheap Dell 1-2U server for around $100 - $300, and load it with drives.

Kinda wish we had a bit more info.

4 hours ago, logkiller said:

If you need a Pi, use a guide like this: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nextcloud-server/

This is something I totally recommend. Depending on what you need, you can find a cheap Dell 1-2U server for around $100 - $300, and load it with drives.

Kinda wish we had a bit more info.

My first nas experience was on 30 euros dell oem :D , and one hdd cost was under 100 . of course its bad practice and nobody and linus allways saying u need backup but if you just getting started its good option. 

because in my country pi cost around 60 euru... 

You could just using a desktop and teamviewer to transfer files from any where. That would be the easiest and cheapest way. Or Pi with TeamViewer installed. 

19 hours ago, Zygizz said:

Its better save your money and buy some used computer maybe dell oem and install nas operative system. and you will get much better speed and functions. 

I did this with an older dell inspiron 5000 1500 series laptop I got when I was in college. Loaded up Ubuntu server with webmin and urBackup server installed on it. This the urBackup software allows me to backup my desktop with out leaving shares open on my server. It's an agent based backup solution similar to how barracuda works, but free.

The raspberry pi is too weak to be a NAS, unless you enjoy things going very slowly. Its CPU is often too weak to even fully saturate the slow 100Mbps ethernet link.

A used OEM business PC is the way to go as they all have gigabit ethernet pretty much.

Also,

21 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

3. set ports open so you can share it

don't do this. You don't want to open ports for SMB to the internet. FTP(S) or SFTP would be fine with an SSL certificate, but not SMB. If you need direct access to the files, use a VPN instead, like L2TP/IPSec, SSTP or OpenVPN and connect to the share that way. It will be slow outside your network, but it'll work.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, Zygizz said:

My first nas experience was on 30 euros dell oem :D , and one hdd cost was under 100 . of course its bad practice and nobody and linus allways saying u need backup but if you just getting started its good option. 

because in my country pi cost around 60 euru... 

What "Dell oem" are you taking about? PowerEdge server's? PowerVault NAS/SAN/DAS?

17 hours ago, logkiller said:

What "Dell oem" are you taking about? PowerEdge server's? PowerVault NAS/SAN/DAS?

No , too much power draw in my optinion am talking about little dell like optiplex . There i live its kinda healtly second hand market soo you can pick up like for 50 for ( dell optiplex 960 with 8 gb ram and duo core )