windows watermark, i want to get rid of it!!!

Hello from Portugal!

So I installed windows in my build using a usb drive. inicially nothing appeard, but 2 days later this stupid thing appearsimage.png.cc7be07e24d33c1e8841ff1bc1e6e221.png

I don' t really want to pay 200€ for a windows 10 pro key. I just want to get rid of it! What can I do?

buy it on ebay

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

1 minute ago, filiboss123 said:

I don' t really want to pay 200€ for a windows 10 pro key. I just want to get rid of it! What can I do?

Although this isn't 100% legal, you can buy a Windows key off eBay for like U$15 or so.

But those keys aren't guaranteed to work, so my recommendation is to buy it from Microsoft for the full cost.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Fica ai até comprares o Windows, infelizmente.

Eu sei, não presta. Pagei 150€ para tirar o meu ;(

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Like Linus mentioned before, there ARE cheap and even free ways to get rid of the watermark, but all of them will violate EULA, and will be considered pirate. 

I cannot recommend software piracy to you, so the only answer you'll get from me is to buy a key from MS.

21 minutes ago, filiboss123 said:

Hello from Portugal!

So I installed windows in my build using a usb drive. inicially nothing appeard, but 2 days later this stupid thing appearsimage.png.cc7be07e24d33c1e8841ff1bc1e6e221.png

You installed something knowing you didn't pay for it.  Now you're annoyed that it knows you didn't pay for it and you do not want to pay full price for it (really?).

This forum isn't in the business of encouraging what Microsoft considers piracy so if you don't already have a solution to get cheap windows (there were lots of ways to get it for free redeeming a Win7/Win8 key even after the free upgrade), we're going to tell you to do something legal.

1 hour ago, LogicWeasel said:

You installed something knowing you didn't pay for it.  Now you're annoyed that it knows you didn't pay for it and you do not want to pay full price for it (really?).

This forum isn't in the business of encouraging what Microsoft considers piracy so if you don't already have a solution to get cheap windows (there were lots of ways to get it for free redeeming a Win7/Win8 key even after the free upgrade), we're going to tell you to do something legal.

well if I must buy something legit. How do I change from windows 10 pro to the home edition (because it is cheaper)?

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Fica ai até comprares o Windows, infelizmente.

Eu sei, não presta. Pagei 150€ para tirar o meu ;(

epah é que construí o pc e esqueci-me do facto de ter de comprar a key, ao menos consegui comprar boas peças

1 hour ago, zhubaohi said:

Like Linus mentioned before, there ARE cheap and even free ways to get rid of the watermark, but all of them will violate EULA, and will be considered pirate. 

I cannot recommend software piracy to you, so the only answer you'll get from me is to buy a key from MS.

Ok! Thanks for the advice

1 minute ago, filiboss123 said:

epah é que construí o pc e esqueci-me do facto de ter de comprar a key, ao menos consegui comprar boas peças

Não faz mal, é só um watermark.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 minutes ago, filiboss123 said:

well if I must buy something legit. How do I change from windows 10 pro to the home edition (because it is cheaper)?

If you installed Pro and don't have a Pro Key, it's likely to reject a Win10 home key (you could try it, but last I saw there isn't a downgrade option inside windows to lower the version), so most likely you'll have to reinstall your OS using Win10 Home instead of Pro.

If you installed Pro and don't have a Pro Key, it's likely to reject a Win10 home key (you could try it, but last I saw there isn't a downgrade option inside windows to lower the version), so most likely you'll have to reinstall your OS using Win10 Home instead of Pro.

ok, how can I keep my data?

is it going to reset everything?

7 minutes ago, filiboss123 said:

ok, how can I keep my data?

Back it up.  The only wise way to retain important data, it should be on at least 1 physical media (external HDD or flash drive) and if it's that important, should also be in online-cloud storage like Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive etc.

Once it's backed up you can try an in-place install of Windows 10 home by downloading the installer from Microsoft ( Use the media creation tool but instead of making a flash drive just select "Upgrade this PC now" : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) and installing it from your desktop (while booted to Win10 Pro instead of booting to a flash drive with Win10 home on it), and it might let you keep your files when you transition the OS.

Edited by LogicWeasel

A friend helped me do it the first time, where do I download it? can u give me the link pls?

Just now, filiboss123 said:

A friend helped me do it the first time, where do I download it? can u give me the link pls?

And did the friend have a plan for when this watermark popped up?  If he knows his way around windows why didn't they account for this?

59 minutes ago, filiboss123 said:

Hello from Portugal!

Linux. Install Linux.

I also don't want to be unable to fly like superman. But I cannot fly like superman. Wants and desires are not the same as reality.

50 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

And did the friend have a plan for when this watermark popped up?  If he knows his way around windows why didn't they account for this?

he did, I really just thought I could live with the watermark. Guess I was wrong XD

48 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Linux. Install Linux.

I also don't want to be unable to fly like superman. But I cannot fly like superman. Wants and desires are not the same as reality.

i don't want linux, as I use my pc for gaming, and linux is not the best for that. 

Thanks anyway