Is my PSU a problem

ScruffyNerfHerder

Hey guys, quick question (hopefully). Recently I had an issues with my Corsair 600 watt PSU. I was hearing a lot of fan rattling noises so I decided swap it out with an EVGA 550 watt one. Everything seemed fine for about 2 weeks but now it's takening 30 seconds or so for my pc to post. I've tried resettling the BIOS settings but nothing works. My only concern is that my build is hitting a power draw limit or something. I was already considering a new build and i've posted both builds below but maybe I might be forced into building the new one a little sooner that I may liked.
Old Spec:
Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz
8gb Corsair Vengance RAM
Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3
NVidia ASUS GTX 770 (recent upgrade as old one died)
EVGA 550 Watt PSU
Samsung SATA SSD
WD Green 2TB HDD
Seagate 2TB SSHD
SoundBlaster X Soundcard
DVD-Drive
----------------------------
New Spec (potentialy)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16gb Corsair Vengance RAM
ASUS X470 PRIME X470-PRO Motherboard (may go for something cheaper)
NVidia ASUS GTX 770 
EVGA 550 Watt PSU
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB
WD Green 2TB HDD
Seagate 2TB SSHD

Hope someone can help, cheers.

21 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

What's the model?

I've attached a screenshot of the model I got.

Screenshot_20190317-134132__01.jpg

1 minute ago, ScruffyNerfHerder said:

I've attached a screenshot of the model I got.

Screenshot_20190317-134132__01.jpg

550W and good quality. Weird that it's not working properly

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Yeah, I'm no building expert but I know enough not to throw in the cheapest PSU on Amazon, that's why I went for that one. I even checked it on a PSU calculator, although I checked it with the new build specs. The funny thing is that it's been fine for the past two weeks or so that I've had it. It just started doing it yesterday...

2 minutes ago, ScruffyNerfHerder said:

Yeah, I'm no building expert but I know enough not to throw in the cheapest PSU on Amazon, that's why I went for that one. I even checked it on a PSU calculator, although I checked it with the new build specs. The funny thing is that it's been fine for the past two weeks or so that I've had it. It just started doing it yesterday...

I'd buy a cheap backup PSU, just in case. A Pure Power 11 300W or CX450 would do well

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

No, that system won't even get close to maxing out 550W PSU.

It's either motherboard or boot drive (assuming that by post you mean booting into windows)

Did you check boot drive's health?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd buy a cheap backup PSU, just in case. A Pure Power 11 300W or CX450 would do well

Why? I get that it is never wrong to have a spare PSU for troubleshooting, but why buy one just in case?

@ScruffyNerfHerder

As all that was wrong with your old PSU was the fan, I hope you haven't thrown it away. Just for troubleshooting you can connect that to see if the problem goes away.

How old was the Corsair PSU? Is there any warranty left?

As others have mentioned, doubt the problem have anything to do with your new PSU or that it is failing. There are hardly any load/power draw at all at boot to talk about, much less anything that comes near taxing your "power limit" as you call it.

Bad SATA-cable or failing drive is more likely, or a corrupt file-system. What exactly is taking longer? The time to go through POST or the time from finished POST to the operating system is loaded to the desktop?

25 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Why? I get that it is never wrong to have a spare PSU for troubleshooting, but why buy one just in case?

@ScruffyNerfHerder

As all that was wrong with your old PSU was the fan, I hope you haven't thrown it away. Just for troubleshooting you can connect that to see if the problem goes away.

How old was the Corsair PSU? Is there any warranty left?

As others have mentioned, doubt the problem have anything to do with your new PSU or that it is failing. There are hardly any load/power draw at all at boot to talk about, much less anything that comes near taxing your "power limit" as you call it.

Bad SATA-cable or failing drive is more likely, or a corrupt file-system. What exactly is taking longer? The time to go through POST or the time from finished POST to the operating system is loaded to the desktop?

I've not thrown the old PSU away, it's behind me, so I could put it back in if nothing else works. The PSU is 4 years old now and apart from the noisy fan, it was fine. So no warranty left.

So the issue I'm getting is this, I turn the monitor on and press the power button on my case. Lights come on, fans spin but nothing happens on screen. After about 30-60 seconds I see the Gigabyte post screen and everything loads up as normal. 

I've checked the drive status. Everything is fine and in good health. I'm typing this on my pc after just being on Rocket League where I saw no performance dip or anything. It's just that initial few seconds after pressing the power button that seems to be the issue. Oh, and I've also flashed the latest BIOS onto the motherboard, just in case that helped, it didn't.

@ScruffyNerfHerder Indeed very strange. 

Try with the old PSU, just put it outside the PC and plug it in to the MB and GPU to see if it makes any difference. Sounds lika the problem is with either the new PSU or your MB as it is POST that takes forever, before it loads the OS. You have updated your BIOS/UEFI but have you done a clear CMOS that restore it to default settings? Either via the option in the BIOS/UEFI or the jumper on the MB. Just as check to narrow the problem down and to rule out any problem with that.

You could try to unplug everything with your current PSU first, to see if the problem persists and if the startup/POST goes faster. There is something in the initial process that takes time...

4 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Because it is working properly.

Problem is the motherboard.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because it is working properly.

Problem is the motherboard.

By the sounds of it I just need to suck it up and buy the rest of the components for a new build. If it's really the motherboard that's the issue then that's the third thing to have had issues in the past month. Oh well, my wallets going to hate me this weekend!

Update: OK, so when I got home today I made sure everything was seated correctly and checked a few things. Booted the PC and it was fine, then restarted it and it POSTed straight away. No idea why maybe it's trying to tell me it's dying. Might still just build my new rig on Saturday anyway and give this old one to my sister and see if she encounters any issues.

Thanks for all the help guys!