Samsung CFG73 1080p 144Hz via HDMI on a GTX 1080ti

GreenWitcher

Hey guys. So I just bought this HDMI to DisplayPort cable for one of my Samsung CFG73 monitors to get it working on 1080p at 144Hz. Problem is no matter how I connect it, the nVidia Control Panel still says it's running at 1080p 120Hz. Now, I'm certain that my card has HDMI 2.0b slots on it, and my monitor says it is currently functioning at 144Hz via the settings. But I know my display is actually at 120Hz since it caps at 120 FPS with vsync on (using Crackdown 3 as reference...and other games). Is there something I'm missing? I know for a fact my other displays with DP is for sure at 144Hz, but I'm running a cable going HDMI from my video card, to DisplayPort on my monitor. How can it not achieve 144Hz since DP and HDMI 2.0b both support 144Hz?

Is it the cable maybe? This is what I bought: HDMI to DisplayPort. I know it says 60Hz, but it's actively on 120Hz 1080p as I type this.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Also, kind of want FreeSync on top of all that. :)

That monitor only supports 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI, not 144 Hz. This is stated in the manual.

EDIT: Ah I see you are using an adapter. Most adapters that I know of use a 300 MHz HDMI chip, which is only capable of 1080p 120 Hz. I assume this one does as well.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

That monitor only supports 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI, not 144 Hz. This is stated in the manual.

Right, as I stated, however the display is hooked up to the Displayport end, while the video card is getting the HDMI end. So my monitor says 144Hz is unlocked since that's the port it's actually hooked into. And I know HDMI 2.0b (which is what my video card supports) can support 144Hz. So it should work that way in theory, because my display is not actually hooked into HDMI.

7 minutes ago, GreenWitcher said:

Right, as I stated, however the display is hooked up to the Displayport end, while the video card is getting the HDMI end. So my monitor says 144Hz is unlocked since that's the port it's actually hooked into. And I know HDMI 2.0b (which is what my video card supports) can support 144Hz. So it should work that way in theory, because my display is not actually hooked into HDMI.

I edited my post

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

EDIT: Ah I see you are using an adapter. Most adapters that I know of use a 300 MHz HDMI chip, which is only capable of 1080p 120 Hz. I assume this one does as well.

Man, that is always SO *&%# frustrating. These companies NEVER say what specs they have on their dongles and adapters. Yeah, if I'd have to guess it sounds like either the HDMI end is not v1.3 or higher, since that's what supports 144Hz, or something else in the wiring. How do you get to know if my dongle has a "chip" in it, and the right specs so I know what to look for to get 144Hz and such?

:((((

Just now, GreenWitcher said:

Man, that is always SO *&%# frustrating. These companies NEVER say what specs they have on their dongles and adapters. Yeah, if I'd have to guess it sounds like either the HDMI end is not v1.3 or higher, since that's what supports 144Hz, or something else in the wiring. How do you get to know if my dongle has a "chip" in it, and the right specs so I know what to look for to get 144Hz and such?

:((((

It is not about versions, HDMI versions do not define a device's capabilities.

All HDMI to DisplayPort adapters have a chip inside, since HDMI and DisplayPort protocols are different, and HDMI ports do not have the capability to send DisplayPort signals, so there must be a chip to convert the HDMI signals to the DP format. As far as I know there are none that support higher than 1080p 120 Hz right now.

Is there some reason you can't just use a DP-to-DP connection?

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It is not about versions, HDMI versions do not define a device's capabilities.

All HDMI to DisplayPort adapters have a chip inside, since HDMI and DisplayPort protocols are different, and HDMI ports do not have the capability to send DisplayPort signals, so there must be a chip to convert the HDMI signals to the DP format. As far as I know there are none that support higher than 1080p 120 Hz right now.

Is there some reason you can't just use a DP-to-DP connection?

Gotcha, this is getting a little more specialized, so as you can imagine not that many people have knowledge of said chips. Where can I read up about it and get all the information I need about these chips?

Ok so, I'm running a GTX 1080ti in there, and it only came with two DisplayPorts. I only have two HDMI 2.0b's, and a Dual Link DVI-D slot left. My monitor has 2x HDMI's, and one DisplayPort. I'm trying to get nVidia Surround with 5760x1080@144Hz. So really my only solution is DL-DVI-D at this point since I kind of want FreeSync working with it that 144Hz.

3 hours ago, GreenWitcher said:

Gotcha, this is getting a little more specialized, so as you can imagine not that many people have knowledge of said chips. Where can I read up about it and get all the information I need about these chips?

Well... there's really no good resources for this on the internet as far as specifics go :P Unless I can take apart the adapter I can't really tell which chip it uses, but usually you can look up a datasheet on the chip, like this one (this is for DP to HDMI not the other way around, but just an example): https://www.paradetech.com/products/ps171-dp-to-hdmidvi/

300 MHz TMDS clock is a common maximum limit for HDMI 1.4 conversion devices (although the spec allows up to 340 MHz, this full capability is required for 1080p 144 Hz, but most devices use 300 MHz which is why they only get 120 Hz).

One solution may be to use a DisplayPort MST hub to connect 2 monitors to one port.  You should be able to get 1080p 144 Hz on both. FreeSync won't work through a hub or any kind of adapter though. If you've only got 2 DP ports on your card, you're only getting 2 FreeSync monitors working, period.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

One solution may be to use a DisplayPort MST hub to connect 2 monitors to one port.  You should be able to get 1080p 144 Hz on both.

Will nVidia Surround work then? Remember I need 5760x1080, not a separate monitor config.

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

FreeSync won't work through a hub or any kind of adapter though. If you've only got 2 DP ports on your card, you're only getting 2 FreeSync monitors working, period.

How about something going to DL-DVI-D to DisplayPort? And...does such a dongle exist?

Will nVidia Surround work then? Remember I need 5760x1080, not a separate monitor config.

I don't really have any experience with NVIDIA surround, so I don't really know, sorry :(

How about something going to DL-DVI-D to DisplayPort? And...does such a dongle exist?

No such adapters exist that I'm aware of.

Alright, well thanks for the feedback Glen. I'll probably keep looking around, because 144Hz Surround + FreeSync is definitely worth it.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, GreenWitcher said:

Alright, well thanks for the feedback Glen. I'll probably keep looking around, because 144Hz Surround + FreeSync is definitely worth it.

Thanks.

You can also look into selling your graphics card and getting another model with 3 DP ports. Depending on what price you can get selling, it may not cost that much to change overall.