help pls on old hard drive

bigpete

hello all 

well i have a old hard drive from a prebuild Hp pc and i would like to use it in my own PC (custom build) but when it was in the HP pc the power was cut off during a Windows 8.1 update and i could not get it to boot back into the os after.  So i just replaced it with a new one and install win 10. Now my question is that would it be wise to reformat the drive and use it again as storage in my own pc or not use it?

I have used a hdd as storage in a similar situation with no problems. Reformat it, run some hdd benchmarks with crystaldisk or other software to check hdd health status and use it as you like. 

PC :

R7 2700x

Asus ROG Crosshair Vii HERO

32GB gtzr @3466 c15

970 evo 500GB

860 evo 1TB

Gigabyte 1060 Windforce OC

rmi 750W

kraken x62

It's unlikely that the drive itself received physical damage.

It's more likely that the update failed and caused Windows to refuse to boot.(which could've potentially been fixed by either reinstalling windows or recovering from a backup)

As such, there shouldn't be any issues to simply take the drive and use it as a secondary storage device after formatting it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for the response and i had the same idea that it would work just fine but i was not for sure it would. and i trust this forums so thank you again and i did install and reformat also check with crystal disk and all is good