GTX 970 Upgrade advice?

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my GTX 970, i have £340 but can stretch it to £450 MAX (ideally don't wanna spend more then 400)

on Ebay, i can get a GTX 1080 used for around £330 or a brand new 1070.

(Gaming in 1080p prob be getting anything higher reso anytime soon).

advice please?

(Also good UK stores to get the GPU for best price possible)

Thank you.

1 minute ago, AdamUKGaming said:

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my GTX 970, i have £340 but can stretch it to £450 MAX (ideally don't wanna spend more then 400)

on Ebay, i can get a GTX 1080 for around £330 or a brand new 1070.

advice please?

(Also good UK stores to get the GPU for best price possible)

Thank you.

What monitor type do you have? That will determine whats overkill or not

Just now, DustierDolphin said:

What monitor type do you have? That will determine whats overkill or not

BenQ Zowie 60hz (Overclocked for 75Hz) 1080p Resolution with 2 to 3 Potential monitors (only one will be used for gaming)

specs:

I7 6700

16GB DDR4 Ram

GTX 970 G1 Gaming

BenQ Zowie 60hz (Overclocked for 75Hz) 1080p Resolution with 2 to 3 Potential monitors (only one will be used for gaming)

specs:

I7 6700

16GB DDR4 Ram

GTX 970 G1 Gaming

I would say its worthless to buy a new gpu when the one you have should do 1080p Medium to high just fine. Especially a 1070 or 1080

1080p and 1440p are both good on a 1070, the 1080 would be pretty great for 1440p max details though, if youre upgrading soon. I recommend the stronger card if you can live without a warranty, or rather, a partial warranty, because many board partners track that via serial number.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would say its worthless to buy a new gpu when the one you have should do 1080p Medium to high just fine. Especially a 1070 or 1080

I would like to Upgrade regardless, as my sisters buying this one, and i want a upgrade that will last me for awhile

Just now, fasauceome said:

1080p and 1440p are both good on a 1070, the 1080 would be pretty great for 1440p max details though. I recommend the stronger card if you can live without a warranty, or rather, a partial warranty, because many board partners track that via serial number.

So.. for 1080p is it worth upgrading to a 1070 New or 1080 used? would a 1080 used be to risky?

Just now, AdamUKGaming said:

So.. for 1080p is it worth upgrading to a 1070 New or 1080 used? would a 1080 used be to risky?

The absolute MAX you need for 1080p at that refresh rate is an RX 590 or 1660

2 minutes ago, DustierDolphin said:

The absolute MAX you need for 1080p at that refresh rate is an RX 590 or 1660

So - a 1070 new won't be better for the 2GB and better performance for a slightly price increase? as I do like better FPS.

Also just saying that 1070 and 1080 seems like a bad deal considering you could find a 1660 ti on amazon for 260 and a rtx 2060 for 340

1 minute ago, DustierDolphin said:

For one of your potential secondary monitors do you think you could get a 1440p  or 144hz?

I can in the future.. get a 144Hz Monitor, but won't  be for months, i won't be going 4K or anything anytime soon.

I can in the future.. get a 144Hz Monitor, but won't  be for months, i won't be going 4K or anything anytime soon.

I would personally suggest getting a 1660 ti or rtx 2060 or look for better deals for used

I would personally suggest getting a 1660 ti or rtx 2060 or look for better deals for used

But yes both of those would probably be overkill for 75hz. What fps and settings are you getting on your current card and are you not happy with them?

Hm, ok, do u think its worth investing in the RTX more? do you think games will utilize the Ray Tracing etc for that card?

7 minutes ago, AdamUKGaming said:

The 1080 isn't worth it for 1080p ironically

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

But yes both of those would probably be overkill for 75hz. What fps and settings are you getting on your current card and are you not happy with them?

Don't get me wrong the GTX 970 is a great card - but division 2 for example.. i have to run in medium with 85% Resolution down scale to make it smooth 75 FPS but it dips down to 50FPS constantly.

Hm, ok, do u think its worth investing in the RTX more? do you think games will utilize the Ray Tracing etc for that card?

I wouldn't buy the rtx card just for ray tracing as it can barely pull out acceptable frames with rtx on. It's just the 1660 ti is comparable to a 1070 and the rtx 2060 to a 1070ti so its just if  your willing to spend more money on a better card

Don't get me wrong the GTX 970 is a great card - but division 2 for example.. i have to run in medium with 85% Resolution down scale to make it smooth 75 FPS but it dips down to 50FPS constantly.

Yah lol that game is crazy demanding. My rx 580 struggles pretty hard as well

so how important is the Extra 2GB memory vs the 6gb 1660TI? as i actually have no idea, but i notice games requiring more nowadays. is it more for 4K gaming?

2 minutes ago, AdamUKGaming said:

I just think it won't be enough of an improvement you'll see

so how important is the Extra 2GB memory vs the 6gb 1660TI? as i actually have no idea, but i notice games requiring more nowadays. is it more for 4K gaming?

Don't worry about the vram. 

now.. if you're me.. would u buy the 1660TI.. RTX 2060 or 1070? would u spend the extra 80 or so pound for the 2060? as i can get it in my budget or slightly over (340) or get a 1660TI and looking for a cheap 144HZ Monitor next month.

now.. if you're me.. would u buy the 1660TI.. RTX 2060 or 1070? would u spend the extra 80 or so pound for the 2060? as i can get it in my budget or slightly over (340) or get a 1660TI and looking for a cheap 144HZ Monitor next month.

Where are you looking used? If you can find a 1070 for under like 240, 1070 ti for under 320, or a 1080 for under 400 those would be decent deals