How do i connect these 2 amplifiers to my desktop?

Chiru

Hi :)

A friend of mine just gave me this set of amps, and i have really no idea how to connect them to my pc's soundcard. I can't explain it well, i'll just attach some photos 

I connected the red and white chinch cable from my soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence STX) to "Input" of the stereo control amplifier, and then the double male PS/2 cable from the stereo control amp to the stereo power amplifier.

My headphones in to the headphone jack of the stereo power amplifier.

Best regards

20190316_122413.jpg

20190316_122438.jpg

technics_se-a900sm2_su-c800um2_pre-power_amplifier.jpg

From what i can see from the pictures

You get a cable with stereo jack on one end and 2 RCA (mono) jacks on the other,  or 2xRCA<-> 2xRCA if your sound card has RCA jacks on it.

You connect those to one input that assumes signal is preamplified, for example  AUX or CD. 

The one at the top has multiple inputs ( phono, tuner, etc)

Phono is supposed to be a very weak signal, like microphone - anything plugged there goes into a pre-amplifier which makes signal stronger, and that signal then gets more amplified like the rest of the inputs. The pre-amplified signal is also routed to that pre-output, unless I'm mistaken.

TUNER, TAPE, CD , AUX are supposed to be regular audio signals ... output from a tv tuner "module", a cd-player, a tape deck ... the PC would normally be connected to AUX.

You then set the source to AUX on the top unit.

The top units takes multiple inputs, selects the input you choose (AUX for PC sound card), pre-amplifies if needed (for phono) , applies effects (tone, volume, bass, etc), then signal goes through that cable to the unit at the bottom which is the actual audio amplifier.

You then connect your speakers to the unit at the bottom, with regular wires.

Two speakers, one goes on  L column , one goes on R column.

Note the text under the jacks.  Seems like it says, if your speakers are 4 ohm each, then you must use 4 speakers. If they're 8 ohm each, you can use one speaker per channel.

You can download user manuals and service manuals for both from here

su-c800 (top thing) : https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/su-c800.shtml

se-a900s (bottom, the amplifier) : https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/se-a900s.shtml

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

From what i can see from the pictures

You get a cable with stereo jack on one end and 2 RCA (mono) jacks on the other,  or 2xRCA<-> 2xRCA if your sound card has RCA jacks on it.

You connect those to one input that assumes signal is preamplified, for example  AUX or CD. 

The one at the top has multiple inputs ( phono, tuner, etc)

Phono is supposed to be a very weak signal, like microphone - anything plugged there goes into a pre-amplifier which makes signal stronger, and that signal then gets more amplified like the rest of the inputs. The pre-amplified signal is also routed to that pre-output, unless I'm mistaken.

TUNER, TAPE, CD , AUX are supposed to be regular audio signals ... output from a tv tuner "module", a cd-player, a tape deck ... the PC would normally be connected to AUX.

You then set the source to AUX on the top unit.

The top units takes multiple inputs, selects the input you choose (AUX for PC sound card), pre-amplifies if needed (for phono) , applies effects (tone, volume, bass, etc), then signal goes through that cable to the unit at the bottom which is the actual audio amplifier.

You then connect your speakers to the unit at the bottom, with regular wires.

Two speakers, one goes on  L column , one goes on R column.

Note the text under the jacks.  Seems like it says, if your speakers are 4 ohm each, then you must use 4 speakers. If they're 8 ohm each, you can use one speaker per channel.

You can download user manuals and service manuals for both from here

su-c800 (top thing) : https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/su-c800.shtml

se-a900s (bottom, the amplifier) : https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/se-a900s.shtml

So basically  2xRCA<-> 2xRCA cable goes in to the AUX of the top amplifier, then i set the top amplifier to AUX?

That's it?

I am using it for my headphones btw.

2 minutes ago, Chiru said:

So basically  2xRCA<-> 2xRCA cable goes in to the AUX of the top amplifier, then i set the top amplifier to AUX?

That's it?

I am using it for my headphones btw. 

Yeah, I think so.

Though it would be a terrible waste of energy for headphones... probably consuming around 30-50 watts just to have a 1w stereo headphone amplifier.

Also, more than likely you HAVE TO connect some speakers or you may damage the big amplifier if you somehow turn it on without headphones plugged in.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, I think so.

Though it would be a terrible waste of energy for headphones... probably consuming around 30-50 watts just to have a 1w stereo headphone amplifier.

Also, more than likely you HAVE TO connect some speakers or you may damage the big amplifier if you somehow turn it on without headphones plugged in.

Figured it out

RCA soundcard to AUX amplifier, then pre out in to "input" of the bigger amp.