[Rumour]Nvidia are gearing up to announce another new GPU line based on Ampere

Master Disaster

Before you get annoyed, excited or both let's be clear, Ampere looks like it's set to replace Volta so probably won't end up in the hands of many people here. The rumour says it will be 7nm based and according to Tweaktown will be announced at GTC next week.

NVIDIA is hosting its annual GPU Technology Conference (GTC) next week in California, but what will they be showing off? Volta is old news in the high-performance computing (HPC) world, and Turing has been cut into countless variants throughout the Quadro RTX, GeForce RTX, and new GeForce GTX families of products. So, what's next then?

The next generation GPU architecture that will come after Turing will be Ampere, which we should expect to arrive on the 7nm node. Right now all of the Turing GPUs are made on the 12nm node, while I expect Ampere to be nailed into the 7nm node.

The timeline of NVIDIA's unveiling of a next-gen Ampere GPU could've changed when AMD surprised the world with the release of the Radeon VII in February 2019, which wasn't expected. AMD re-purporsed a few thousand units of its Radeon Instinct MI50 to make it happen, but it was able to steal the headlines of 'world's first 7nm gaming GPU'.

I don't think we'll see an Ampere-based gaming card released, but rather a new GPU architecture tease that will succeed Volta in the HPC/DL/AI market. Turing makes great use of GDDR6 memory technology, and Ampere could continue this with all of the things NVIDIA learned from the Turing release it can make into an even better GPU on 7nm.

The rest of the article waffles on about AMD Vs Nvidia stuff and is mostly not relevant. You can read it....

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65178/nvidia-tease-next-gen-ampere-gpu-7nm-gtc-19/index.html

So back in last year when every other Nvidia rumours was flip flopping between Ampere and Turing I made a suggestion that perhaps the confusion was because Nvidia were developing both simultaneously. Looks like I could have been right all along.

Anyone wanna guess the price? I'm going with $3,399. (For the Titan)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Before you get annoyed, excited or both let's be clear, Ampere looks like it's set to replace Volta so probably won't end up in the hands of many people here. The rumour says it will be 7nm based and according to Tweaktown will be announced at GTC next week.

The rest of the article waffles on about AMD Vs Nvidia stuff and is mostly not relevant. You can read it....

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65178/nvidia-tease-next-gen-ampere-gpu-7nm-gtc-19/index.html

So back in last year when every other Nvidia rumours was flip flopping between Ampere and Turing I made a suggestion that perhaps the confusion was because Nvidia were developing both simultaneously. Looks like I could have been right all along.

Anyone wanna guess the price? I'm going with $3,399. (For the Titan)

Nvidia has been developing 2 different architectures at the same time for a long time so I think that is kinda a given. 

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

probably not this year, 2020 at the earliest - or if Navi is too good.

Tweaktown also claim to have information that Navi performs very closely to Vega and it's only benefit will be improved efficiency/less power draw.

Also you don't announce in March to launch next year.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, VegetableStu said:

unless you're running a super efficient kickstarter ._.

The thought of the multi billion dollar behemoth Nvidia doing a Kickstarter made me LOL until I thought about it, then I realised it's actually not that far removed from some of the stuff that's already happened.

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Tweaktown also claim to have information that Navi performs very closely to Vega and it's only benefit will be improved efficiency/less power draw.

And lower prices.

VEGA is 400€.

Navi is said to be at least 50€ cheaper.

The Rumors are IIRC 250 and 350€...

VEGA is not that cheap.

Also you don't announce in March to launch next year.

Yes, you do, if you don't care about your sales and "just" want to ruin the Competition.

That is totally plausible with how nVidia acted.

Anyway, we should wait and not run the hype train...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And lower prices.

VEGA is 400€.

Navi is said to be at least 50€ cheaper.

The Rumors are IIRC 250 and 350€...

VEGA is not that cheap.

Yes, you do, if you don't care about your sales and "just" want to ruin the Competition.

That is totally plausible with how nVidia acted.

Anyway, we should wait and not run the hype train...

We actually discussed the topic of whether lower prices on a product refresh is a positive or not in depth back when Intel went from tick tock to tick tock tock.

My position is that it isn't. Faster design time as there is no need to start from scratch, improvements in the design and manufacturing processes, cheaper components because of time passing and cheaper fabbing prices because infrastructure already exists all make a product refresh much cheaper to manufacture than an entirely new product. Launching a product refresh at anything other than cheaper than the original wouldn't end well for any tech company.

How would announcing a product based in a market the competition isn't even involved in ruin them? I mean sure, AMD has HPC cards but let's be honest, how many people could name one without Googling it first? Nvidia is already dominant in the HPC Video Card space, ruining AMD has no real value to them.

Just now, leadeater said:

Me ?

Shut up you ?

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

We actually discussed the topic of whether lower prices on a product refresh is a positive or not in depth back when Intel went from tick tock to tick tock tock.

No, of course not!
The Prices should increase with each generation because the Performance increases and thus its worth to ask more for a product, so that one can increase the revenue...

My position is that it isn't. Faster design time as there is no need to start from scratch, improvements in the design and manufacturing processes,

With that logic, an Athlon 200GE would be available for 500€ minimum...

And that argumentation tanks innovation because nobody can afford a faster card because it got so expensive...

And look at how it was over 10 Years ago in the 90s. THAT was when Innovation really took of and the Clockspeed increased like 30-50 fold (from around 20-30MHz in the beginning up to 1GHz at the end of the 90s).

With your reasoning, people would be surfing the web in the late 90s with 80386 and 80486 CPUs with 33MHz or so.

You see that argumentation makes little to no sense??

nvidia is already dominant in the HPC Video Card space, ruining AMD has no real value to them.

ORLY?!
How do you explain Geforce Partner Programme then??

43 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I mean sure, AMD has HPC cards but let's be honest, how many people could name one without Googling it first?

You mean the Radeon Instincts or what are you talking about??

The Part that AMD got, that was in Germany for a long time and the Rest of the SPEA V7 Team...

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, of course not!
The Prices should increase with each generation because the Performance increases and thus its worth to ask more for a product, so that one can increase the revenue...

With that logic, an Athlon 200GE would be available for 500€ minimum...

And that argumentation tanks innovation because nobody can afford a faster card because it got so expensive...

And look at how it was over 10 Years ago in the 90s. THAT was when Innovation really took of and the Clockspeed increased like 30-50 fold (from around 20-30MHz in the beginning up to 1GHz at the end of the 90s).

With your reasoning, people would be surfing the web in the late 90s with 80386 and 80486 CPUs with 33MHz or so.

You see that argumentation makes little to no sense??

ORLY?!
How do you explain Geforce Partner Programme then??

Product refresh, not new product. Like how Kaby Lake was updated Skylake or how Navi is just Vega 2.0, Xbox One S over Xbox One etc etc

No one is suggesting prices can't increase on new products but relaunching an existing product with minor improvements and asking more money? No.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

so is nvidia going for a Pascal-Volta update cycle from now on? ._. i.e. 1 general release 1 limited scope

EDIT: actually there isn't a TU100-type chip yet, so maybe this might make sense o_o (GA100?)

It's probably the GA100. Doesn't seem like we're going to see a TU100 because the TU102 is already over 750mm2

We've known about "Post-Volta" for a bit, but it wasn't clear if that was Ampere or if Ampere is the next gaming GPU. In hindsight, Volta -> Ampere makes a lot of sense from a naming scheme. The high-end card will focus on scientists with important work in the field of electricity. 

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We've known about "Post-Volta" for a bit, but it wasn't clear if that was Ampere or if Ampere is the next gaming GPU. In hindsight, Volta -> Ampere makes a lot of sense from a naming scheme. The high-end card will focus on scientists with important work in the field of electricity. 

Except the inevitable Titan which despite technically not being a gaming card will still be marketed towards gamers and priced for the top end of the enthusiast gaming market.

Actually saying that didn't Nvidia gimp the Titan V in some way as to not appeal to gamers? Sorry I don't keep updated on the very high end stuff.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

So we can assume Watt will be next?

Nikola Tesla > Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta > André-Marie Ampère > James Watt.

And yes, I did Google Volta's names.

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nikola Tesla > Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta > André-Marie Ampère > James Watt.

I wouldn't expect anyone to remember his whole name off the top of their head, haha.  But I had the same thought that James Watt is probably up next.

36 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Augustin_de_Coulomb Would be fun though. We'd get 2 years of everyone butchering the name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Eduard_Weber or Gauss would make sense. Actually, Gauss is probably the next Gaming GPU. Nvidia planning to GG AMD into the ground.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

hang on, I was thinking "7 days" when i read "next week" o_o it's actually this coming monday

GDC is going to be leak central, as well. Entire GPU industry is going to be there, so we'll get announcements and leaks galore.

Now we get the 1160 Ti

Damn I came hear for all the product naming jokes and there was only one. :(

Still, I should not be surprised that an Nvidia rumor turned into another AMD debate.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is how I see it

• A week before GDC, Nvidia next gen RTX based on Ampere Leaked!
  • Rumor spreads like wildfire making many believe there will be a new GeForce gaming video card
  • GDC is here and Nvidia streams on Twitch
  • Twitch Chat: Ampere! Ampere! Ampere!
  • *Jensen comes on stage* and Twitch chat cheers!
  • Twitch Chat: Ampere! Ampere! Ampere!
  • Jensen: Blah blah, deep learning, blah blah blah deep learning, deep learning, blah deep blah blah learning, deep learning, blah blah blah
  • Twitch Chat: Booo! We want Ampere!!!
  • Jensen: 15 years in the making over 4 billion transistors, and $5 billion in R&D, ladies and gentlemen, the worlds most powerful GPU
  • *Twitch chat hold their breath*
  • Jensen: Tesla A100
  • *Twitch chat RIOTS!!!*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Augustin_de_Coulomb Would be fun though. We'd get 2 years of everyone butchering the name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Eduard_Weber or Gauss would make sense. Actually, Gauss is probably the next Gaming GPU. Nvidia planning to GG AMD into the ground.

Michael Faraday would also be a worthy name for sure.

Nvidia GTC stream on March 18, 2019. AT 2PM Pacific Standard Time

The more you buy, the more you save!

-Jensen

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list