Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyle43002

Questions about traveling to Canada for the weekend.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I will be going to ltx2019 and this will be the first time traveling by myself and I just wanted to make sure I have everything good. Do I need to get any special license or permit to drive, I live close enough to drive. Also where is the best place to get a hotel, I know all city's have bad spots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your budget.

As for the license, it depends where you're from.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 10:26 PM, Kyle43002 said:

I will be going to ltx2019 and this will be the first time traveling by myself and I just wanted to make sure I have everything good. Do I need to get any special license or permit to drive, I live close enough to drive. Also where is the best place to get a hotel, I know all city's have bad spots. 

If your license has one of those stars in the top right corner it can be used to visit Canada. Otherwise you will need a passport, I'm bringing mine, just in case, cause I already have one. Also if you have a DUI you won't be allowed to visit Canada unless you submit a bunch of paperwork to get an exception.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheSwayzieExpress said:

If your license has one of those stars in the top right corner it can be used to visit Canada. Otherwise you will need a passport, I'm bringing mine, just in case, cause I already have one. Also if you have a DUI you won't be allowed to visit Canada unless you submit a bunch of paperwork to get an exception.

He was more asking if he needed a special permit to drive whilst in Canada, which he does not.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 6:44 PM, dizmo said:

Depends on your budget.

As for the license, it depends where you're from.

Hey dizmo , I have a question about the budget that is in need to travel to the Canada. If I am not from US but from the Europe which amount of money should I have to travel through the Canada? Is it a similar system as in Qatar? Cause I lived in Qatar and hove some plans to move to Canada and I see that compared cost of living is a little similar as in Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TacticalKarma said:

Hey dizmo , I have a question about the budget that is in need to travel to the Canada. If I am not from US but from the Europe which amount of money should I have to travel through the Canada? Is it a similar system as in Qatar? Cause I lived in Qatar and hove some plans to move to Canada and I see that compared cost of living is a little similar as in Canada.

Why would it be any different if you're from Europe? It really depends on where you go and what you plan to do, and at what time of year. 


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 10:26 PM, Kyle43002 said:

I will be going to ltx2019 and this will be the first time traveling by myself and I just wanted to make sure I have everything good. Do I need to get any special license or permit to drive, I live close enough to drive. Also where is the best place to get a hotel, I know all city's have bad spots. 

 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:39 AM, TacticalKarma said:

Hey dizmo , I have a question about the budget that is in need to travel to the Canada. If I am not from US but from the Europe which amount of money should I have to travel through the Canada? Is it a similar system as in Qatar? Cause I lived in Qatar and hove some plans to move to Canada and I see that compared cost of living is a little similar as in Canada.

Well depends on how long you wish to stay in Canada for, and what city/province you are moving too. Some provinces tax you at 13% for goods and the best province in canada only taxes you 5%.

 

You can live as cheaply as buying a $500 car, getting insurance and registration and sleeping in that.

You can live freely, by camping out, in Victoria BC you are allowed to setup a tent in parks from 11pm-6am.

 

Hostels are about $30 to $55 or more, like places in Vancouver, BC. Hostels are nice, but you are bunking with 6 or 8 sometimes more people, which for $30-$55 its probably better just to camp out in the woody areas and save your money, but in the winter, it gets cold. That is why lots of people sleep in cheap vehicles, but it must be licensed, registered and insured, and you must have a valid drivers license because cops will be knocking at your window.

 

You can rent a room for $500/month, needing $500 for damage deposit, sharing the bathroom and kitchen. Then for food, you can save money by going to the bum places for food, Salvation Army, Mustard Seed, Food Bank. Those 1st 2 will even house you too for free, but you are sleeping on a foam mat, inches away from some random bum who may or may not have showered in the past month.

 

Hotel rooms are usually around $100/night, but the shittier ones are usually around $70/night, which is where most of the drug users stay. There are of course cheaper places around, like Motel 6 in smaller cities will charge $50/night, and they will have a weekly or monthly rate. They want a cash deposit or a credit card.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×