Upgrading my PSU Help!

roundhouseboy11
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
12 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

I currently have an ultra HS750 psu which is very low quality.

19 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Currently in my PC, all of the cables that run from my psu are very well organized and are hardly visible which took me a lot of work to do. When I upgrade can I simply unplug the cables from my old psu, replace it with the new psu and then just plug the cables back in?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Only use the cables that come with the RMx unit (or aftermarket cables designed specifically to be compatible with it)!

Hey all. Tomorrow I am upgrading the PSU in my gaming rig from a 80 Plus Bronze 750W psu to a Corsair RMX 80 plus Gold 750W psu. Currently in my PC, all of the cables that run from my psu are very well organized and are hardly visible which took me a lot of work to do. When I upgrade can I simply unplug the cables from my old psu, replace it with the new psu and then just plug the cables back in? Never upgraded my power supply before so I am unsure if this is possible. Would I have to remove all of the old cables and replace the whole rig with the new cables that come with the new psu? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What power supply do you have now and what's in your pc? Do you really need 750w

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What power supply do you have now and what's in your pc? Do you really need 750w

I currently have an ultra HS750 psu which is very low quality. My current rig is consists of an Asus Prime Z270-A mbo, i7 7700k, 16gb ddr4, rtf 2080 ti. The reason I am upgrading my psu is because I am also upgrading my mbo to the Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro in addition to an i7 9700k cpu to better complement my gpu at 3440x1440 resolution gaming. I plan on overclocking in the future so a good quality 750W pau should be good.

3 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

I currently have an ultra HS750 psu which is very low quality. My current rig is consists of an Asus Prime Z270-A mbo, i7 7700k, 16gb ddr4, rtf 2080 ti. The reason I am upgrading my psu is because I am also upgrading my mbo to the Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro in addition to an i7 9700k cpu to better complement my gpu at 3440x1440 resolution gaming. I plan on overclocking in the future so a good quality 750W pau should be good.

Fair enough, you should definitely be replacing that. Don't be set on one unit though, keep an eye on G2 or FOCUS gold units as well. They constantly go on sale

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Fair enough, you should definitely be replacing that. Don't be set on one unit though, keep an eye on G2 or FOCUS gold units as well. They constantly go on sale

Thanks, I am keeping an eye out. Going back to my original question, will I be able to use the same cables already in my old pau or do I need to replace all the cables with the ones that come with the new psu?

12 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

I currently have an ultra HS750 psu which is very low quality.

19 minutes ago, roundhouseboy11 said:

Currently in my PC, all of the cables that run from my psu are very well organized and are hardly visible which took me a lot of work to do. When I upgrade can I simply unplug the cables from my old psu, replace it with the new psu and then just plug the cables back in?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Only use the cables that come with the RMx unit (or aftermarket cables designed specifically to be compatible with it)!

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450