Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Queen Chrysallis

Friend is thinking on mixing modular cables

The RMx units use the Corsair "Type4" cables. They're compatible with each other. https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

The only issue is the RM850x comes with extra cables over the RM750x. Will vary slightly depending if we're talking about the RMx or RMx (2018), but you might be missing some additional EPS, PCIe, and SATA cables that you would normally get with the RM850x.

Your friend should return the unit to where they bought it from though if it was incomplete. They got ripped off and lied to. Get a refund and buy from somewhere else.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Friend is building a fully white system he got a RMX850 but he got it used from a ebay/amazon-like mix website we got in the country vendor claims it has not been used AT ALL yet somehow it didn't came with all the modular cables for it now he's thinking on snatching the ones missing from a RMX750 that bid this world goodbye a little bit over a year ago i know mixing modular cables is not recommended (even tho both psu are from the same white series?) but i don't actually know what can happen so i can tell my friend... So, help?

Meanwhile i'm encouraging him to contact support and give the PSU back and wait until a more reliable seller have it in stock and fully new

Current, Old Rig

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agilty3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

New Rig (in The Works, Missing PSU)

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

Don't buy used PSUs.

All Corsair RMx cables will work in all Corsair RMx's. That being said, not all Corsair cables will work in all Corsair PSUs.

The cables are compatible.

But I will say that, if the PSU was not used at all... why is it missing the cables?  Sounds HIGHLY suspect.

Posted · Best Answer

The RMx units use the Corsair "Type4" cables. They're compatible with each other. https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/psu-cable-compatibility

The only issue is the RM850x comes with extra cables over the RM750x. Will vary slightly depending if we're talking about the RMx or RMx (2018), but you might be missing some additional EPS, PCIe, and SATA cables that you would normally get with the RM850x.

Your friend should return the unit to where they bought it from though if it was incomplete. They got ripped off and lied to. Get a refund and buy from somewhere else.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Don't buy used PSUs.

All Corsair RMx cables will work in all Corsair RMx's. That being said, not all Corsair cables will work in all Corsair PSUs.

I agree. I don't buy used anything. But he got a pretty good deal and is trying to save the max possible for a white 2080.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The cables are compatible.

But I will say that, if the PSU was not used at all... why is it missing the cables?  Sounds HIGHLY suspect.

Unexpected. I was almost sure he was toast if he follow through with it. Lucky him i guess?

Yes it is very suspected. Over here the used market is plagued by scammers (my pov at least) which really fucks with the trust. As i mentioned above, he's trying to save up for a white 2080 which is why he went for a used psu.

I am conflicted on what to do. If i tell him the cables are compatible he'll likely to go through it

As the saved money from the psu will make it less of a struggle for him to get the white 2080

But i don't wanna lie and say his pc will go boom if he do it... What should i do?

59 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Thanks for the information. If he goes for a fully new one, he'll need to wait out for a reputable reseller to have a white psu in stock AND the price of a new, good quality psu might screw his budget and he wants a white 2080. Not sure on what to tell him. He's been working on his white rig since october last year seems that the less parts are left, the more impulsive he gets which is a feeling i totally understand as i've just barely finished buying the parts for my new rig as well... Thoughts?

Current, Old Rig

Mobo: Asus B85M-E // CPU: i7-4770K // GPU: Gigabyte G1 1070 // RAM: 16GB Single Channel // Cooling: Stock Intel // Storage: 167 GB SDD OCZ Agilty3, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda // PSU: AeroCool Strike X 800w 80+ Silver // Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Mid-Tower

Mobo: MSI Z390 Godlike // CPU: i9-9900K // GPU: Galax Hall of Fame 2080 Ti // RAM: 32GB Dual Channel // Cooling: D15S with 3 Noctua Fans // Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 860 EVO, 6TB Seagate Barracuda PRO // PSU: RMi 850w 80+ Gold // Case: TT View 37 RGB Edition

Peripherals And Others

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition // Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury White // Headphone: Razer Man'O War 7.1 // Display: LG 2560x1080 25' 60Hz Ultrawide // UPS: Pure Sine Wave, Online Topology 3000VA (2100w) (this shit is heavy as fuck)

- Previously ReggieGRS

1 hour ago, ReggieGRS said:

I don't buy used anything. But he got a pretty good deal

No deal is good enough to overcome the lack of WARRANTY.

Because hardly anyone gives Warranty to the second purchaser of a PSU.

Some did but might have stopped when they increased the Warranty.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thanks for the information. If he goes for a fully new one, he'll need to wait out for a reputable reseller to have a white psu in stock AND the price of a new, good quality psu might screw his budget and he wants a white 2080. Not sure on what to tell him. He's been working on his white rig since october last year seems that the less parts are left, the more impulsive he gets which is a feeling i totally understand as i've just barely finished buying the parts for my new rig as well... Thoughts?

From what I've seen, the RMx White version is often cheaper than buying a typical black PSU of equal quality (Say, normal RMx) and then buying custom sleeved white cables separately. If he wants the white build then just save up and buy a new RMx White unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

From what I've seen, the RMx White version is often cheaper than buying a typical black PSU of equal quality (Say, normal RMx) and then buying custom sleeved white cables separately. If he wants the white build then just save up and buy a new RMx White unit.

Told him that. He's gonna return the psu first thing next monday. Better be safe than sorry i always say. A good system with a used psu doesn't cut well. Hopefully there'll be some sort of sale so his budget doesn't get too tight for the 2080.

@jonnyGURU

Nice to know that the cables are compatible however. Does that apply to every modular same series psu? Just out of curiosity

Current, Old Rig

Peripherals And Others

- Previously ReggieGRS

Told him that. He's gonna return the psu first thing next monday. Better be safe than sorry i always say. A good system with a used psu doesn't cut well. Hopefully there'll be some sort of sale so his budget doesn't get too tight for the 2080.

@jonnyGURU

Nice to know that the cables are compatible however. Does that apply to every modular same series psu? Just out of curiosity

For Corsair, it does.  But some companies use multiple OEMs for different wattages within the same series and they don't define their own pinout.  This is particularly true of semi-modular PSUs.